Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been fascinated by the Walther pp/ppk and have read quite a bit on the forums. I recently purchased a new ppk/s .22 because it’s just cheap to shoot and still has the classic look. I would love to upgrade to to a real history piece and a higher caliber, for the right price. I recently walked into a local store and they had a Manurhin PP in 7.65, with a Bavarian police trade in stamp(ByP) X’d out, ugly HK import marking on front of grip, serial #53xxx (1956-57?) bluing 90%+ minimal holster ware, bore looked fantastic, comes with one flush(no pinky rest) magazine made in France, no box, no extra mag etc.
Price was $450, my questions are is that a reasonable price these days? Or a good deal? Middle of the road? Any help would be great thanks! Sorry I don’t have any pictures, but I hope I described it in enough detail.

·
Premium Member
8,557 Posts
$450 sounds good to me without seeing pictures. When you are able post some images and we will give more info on your police turn in.
Generally these weapons were treated well and loved by those who now own them.
You are going to enjoy your weapon.

I have a Manurhin PP serial #37968 1955 vintage which has a blue so deep and rich you could fall into it. It is just so much fun to shoot.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yes, it’s a good price. Quality is first rate, and it has likely been back to Walther for a do-over at some point (check whether the ByP cartouche looks solidly blued over; another indicator are Walther rather than the proprietary Manurhin grip panels).

I like the HK-marked PPs best. I find the front strap import marking much less visible and detracting than CAI’s and others’ crude frame strikes. From a historical viewpoint, it also guarantees you a gun with the longest police history, as it means that this pistol was still in Bavaria’s inventory in 1979/80 when HK accepted these as trade-ins for Bavaria’s new HK P7 service pistol. (Incidentally, the Bavarians just recently retired the P7 for the SFP9.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good price. I was at my local gunsmith today, showed him the PPK/s I picked up last week. According to him Manurhin prices are on the rise.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I also have a Manurhin ByP (X-ed out), HK stamped (nicely done on the front strap), import 1957 proofed by the serial #. The bluing is superb and the best I've ever seen. Came with two mags (both France/Manurhin stamped) flat bottoms, original SN# box, as well.
Looks like it was carried more than fired with just the slightest bluing wear at the slides muzzle area. Was well taken care of and the workings are pristine and smooth as glass.
A real joy to shoot and own this marvel.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Oh, forgot two things...........
1st, I should have misspelled Manurhin to see if MGMike would finally come on here and correct me as he usually does to everyone. Hello Mike, we miss you.
2nd, since the HK import was done very nicely on the front strap (and not those awful crude stamps the other importers do), it does have a gold colored inlay to the etching. I'm wondering if the gold color can be removed so it's all blued and blends in better.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I also have a Manurhin ByP (X-ed out), HK stamped (nicely done on the front strap), import 1957 proofed by the serial #.
Does it still have the Manurhin grip panels or black Walther replacements?

...., it does have a gold colored inlay to the etching. I'm wondering if the gold color can be removed so it's all blued and blends in better.
I haven’t tried it, but you could carefully apply some acetone and see if it works. I use that to remove cosmetic whiting from stampings. Shouldn’t affect the blue finish. But try at your own risk.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yes, did come with Manurhin grip panels that looked like new, but I stored those in the box and put on some beater Walther ones from the 60's I had on hand for range use.
I just might try acetone on a Q-tip on the bluing maybe inside the slide first to see how it reacts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts