·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a first gen P22 from 2008 i believe, and it has magazines
265-93-44-A and

265-93-36-B
that came with it and are what I've always had
Im looking to get a couple more magazines, but all i see out there are for the new P22Q, they look the same, are they compatible?

also, I'm not sure why it came with an A and a B magazine, they look the same, but didn't the A magazines turn out to be designed incorrectly.

thanks

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Yes, no, some of em, kinda and no one ever asks about magazines anymore....in fact no one has asked much of anything regarding the P22 in months. Oh, where were we?

The original mags were blued and came with no stagger slot...they didn't feed properly. They were soon replaced with stainless A models with 1" stagger slots. Those worked 100%. Then as all the poor ejection direction threads heated up....Walther modified the A mags in about 2006... how??? The shortened the stagger slots to 3/8" and ruined their function. They sent me some B mags to test.

The B's were a return to the A mags but with slightly thicker steel. They worked 100%. As the years passed A and B got dropped and part numbers got stamped and Q series pistols were released. But the only mags to avoid are the originals with no stagger slot and the short slot ones. Everything else fits and functions fine. 1917

An original for those that have never seen one. It would be easy to cut stagger slots in it then it would work 100%. .22 PP pistols with no slot mags suffer some of the same feeding issues. The slots allow the top rounds to stagger which lets them sit properly in the magazine. I've modified some old, rare mags and they now work fine.

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Oh ok thanks. Does this seem to be typical wear after many years also
Yes, that is all normal on most P22s. Not on mine though. The slide is cast zinc and the wear you are seeing in the first picture is due to the slide hitting the steel trigger bar ears with each shot. The very top wear (left side of the slide) is caused by the slide hold open arm dragging on the slide on the last shot. You have the latest style extractor.

There is more finish wear on the left side of the frame at the rails due to the extractor pressing the slide to the left.

I can't tell if your trigger lock is installed or not. No one ever used it anyway as far as I know. AH, that would be a 2007 pistol I believe. 1917

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
I'd forgotten but way, way back there were complaints of the mags dropping out of early P22s also. I could never tell if that was due to shooter error, finger on mag release lever or a mag/catch issue. Regardless, Walther began to stamp the mags in a different manner at the catch expansions. If you look closely you will see the originals don't have the catch ears sticking out as far as later models. 1917

1 - 6 of 6 Posts