Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering got a new 5 inch. Most of the videos i see have the red spring on this gun. Mine has a silver and blue. Is there any difference? Gun was new from gunbuyer.com

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,302 Posts
Hello Wick. Yes there is a difference. In the beginning Walther thought the 5" need a little lighter/weaker spring, hence the red spring. After a couple of years (could have been a little less) they realized the 5" actually ran better with the 'silver' spring. Now, the silver spring is standard issue with the poly 5".

So, you're OK.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Walther customer told me the red spring is rated at 48 Newtons and the silver spring is rated at 50 Newtons. They did it because some people were having incomplete lockup and the slightly heavier spring is just enough to eliminate that issue (with most factory ammo), without being too heavy for the gun to function properly.
I have both and can't tell any difference in functions, including recoil.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Interesting. My 5"'s have the red spring. I haven't had any failures going into battery but then I've only shot FMJs.

Perhaps Walther will send me silver replacements? I'll call them Monday.

·
Premium Member
14,302 Posts
Interesting. My 5"'s have the red spring. I haven't had any failures going into battery but then I've only shot FMJs.

Saudade, I'd have to guess that you're using good ammo, or you're using a good grip. I think the red spring just makes the gun a little more prone to 'not go all the way into battery' when using a 'less' than optimal grip.

My 5 inchers also came with the red spring.....runs fine for me.

·
Registered
978 Posts
They sent me one but I had to pay for it. They would not send it for free.

I'm running the silver one now and keeping my red one for a backup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Wick. Yes there is a difference. In the beginning Walther thought the 5" need a little lighter/weaker spring, hence the red spring. After a couple of years (could have been a little less) they realized the 5" actually ran better with the 'silver' spring. Now, the silver spring is standard issue with the poly 5".

So, you're OK.

Thanks!!!:):cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts