Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a P99as 9mm as my first handgun. I have been checking the online dealers and gunbroker.

I will only be able to afford one handgun for a while and I will never sell it.

Should I buy a brand new gun that has never been fired or one with a couple of hundred rounds through it that may save me a hundred bucks?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If it looks NIB, I would save a couple hundred bucks. But if it looks used you may later wished you went with NIB.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Walther P99 is an excellent gun. Odds are greatly against you getting a lemon.

That being said...I bought two of my three P99's used off Gunbroker/GunsAmerica. One of them had an ejector issue and sprayed spent brass in all directions, even at my face. It never failed to extract. I sent the gun back to Walther/Smith & Wesson and they sent me a brand new gun. Never asked for my initial receipt for the gun purchase. It was a second generation pistol.

I saved money buying the gun. After all, once you fire the gun it will not be "NEW" any more. Walther only offers a one year warranty anyways. Just make sure that you are saving at least 15% over the price of a comparable new gun's selling price (not MSRP). You will know what the new guns are going for by looking on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica.

If you want a first generation pistol, then you may have to get on used. I prefer the first generation version, but bought a second generation pistol for a conceal carry gun as it accepts more accessories on the S&W rail.

Good luck buying one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input, I have read a couple times that there is a break in procedure for the P99.

Is this true?

If so would you have any problems buying a gun that was not properly "broke in"

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is no break-in needed. Some people have experienced failure to feed and extract type problems in the first 500 rounds. Most people do not. I have not "broken in" my guns and they have run fine, except for the extractor problem that I had- that would not have fixed itself by "breaking in" the gun. A person should shoot at least 500 rounds through any pistol before counting on a gun to be dependable.

So, either new or used you should plan on shooting at least 500 rounds through the gun you buy before carrying the gun or depending on the gun for self defense.

If you buy a used gun that has been shot some without any problems surfacing with the previous owner, then you will be fine. If you get a new gun and it has problems then you have the warranty. Whichever you buy, just buy the cheap practice type ammunition and shoot the gun a lot.

There is no wrong answer. Just the answer that fits your situation the best.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would go with saving a hundred bucks if its a low round count and LNIB. I think most of the issues you hear about is from limp wristing, especially on the .40. The more you shoot it, the better the trigger gets. smooth as butter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts