Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just registered. As what I said on the subject, not a walther owner yet, but I'm really interested on a P99c AS and if not that, then my alt is the FNX-9. The problem is that I can't seem to find the P99 in any of the local stores in Albuquerque. I've gone thru the same process the first time I looked for a gun. I'm in the military and while deployed in '06, had my sights set on a USPc. However, when I got back home, I realized that it's almost impossible to find one in a store. I researched for such a long time and I knew so much abt the USP but without holding one, I couldnt pull the trigger (no pun) on such a big investment. I know of some places to purchase online but I wanted to play w/ it before I buy. Since I wanted a gun so bad, ended up getting an xD (2nd choice), which was on sale at the time and it turned out to be a great purchase. I had some info abt the xD but not as much as the USPc. I guess I got lucky, but mostly because the fact that I was able to hold the xD and even shot one as a rental before I purchased.

Now, I'm back in the process but I'm finding it even harder to find the P99c. To make it worse, even if I wanted to buy blind, it's nowhere to be found. Not even online. Because of the experience the first time around, It's looking like ill end up with my 2nd choice again.

....unless someone can point me to one in 9mm (WAP80002).

That's all for now. I look forward on hearing and learning from the experts here. Sorry for a really long first post.

-Jay

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mags; we're happy to have you here. The P99 AS is the real deal and well worth the hunt. Plenty of them are out there, and you won't be disappointed once you find one; it has been an industry standard firearm for more than a decade. Enjoy your time here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. I found one online and now I'm debating if I should just get it blind and hope for the best. I heard that the AS trigger takes some getting used to and I really wanted to handle it first before purchasing. Would that be a wise decision? I wonder how many members here purchased it without trying first?

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Welcome! I owned a P99AS before deciding to buy the compact version so I didn't really buy it cold. The P99AS is the same size as my HK USPc .45, SIG 228, or Glock 19...more of a mid size than a full size. If you're not planning to pocket carry the P99AS may be small enough to meet your needs.
The AS trigger feels like a DA/SA but has an AS mode. The AS mode is a 2-stage trigger with a long take up. I pretty much ignore it since I carry in DA. I found my compact here in Trading Post section...used but in excellent shape. If you post a WTB you may get lucky... :)

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Welcome! I owned a P99AS before deciding to buy the compact version so I didn't really buy it cold. The P99AS is the same size as my HK USPc .45, SIG 228, or Glock 19...more of a mid size than a full size. If you're not planning to pocket carry the P99AS may be small enough to meet your needs.
The AS trigger feels like a DA/SA but has an AS mode. The AS mode is a 2-stage trigger with a long take up. I pretty much ignore it since I carry in DA.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mags987
The AS takes a little (but only a little) getting used to, but would be comparable to any new platform. However, once you get the muscle memory for it - how sweet it is! It is very versatile in terms of carrying in the AS or DA mode (although most would opt for carrying de-cocked in DA mode for the first shot). I had never shot one before buying mine, and also felt like I was taking a bit of a risk. I did get to handle a couple of them in gun shops prior to purchasing. One shop allowed me to dry fire the gun and check how the reset felt, and the difference between AS and DA mode. Just a few minutes checking out this trigger sold me on this gun over any other.

+1 from someone who bought without trying it first, and I couldn't be happier. Mine is the full size, not the C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts