Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to pull the trigger so to speak on a new CZ. I had the pleasure of shooting one at the range, I was impressed. I'm not familiar with the CZ series, but everything I've researched and read found it to be a great firearm. I've narrowed down the model which I'm considering, the 75SP-01 which I shot at the range. But they do have several. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Can’t speak to the SP-01, but CZ are the real deal. Post up some photos and a range report when you get her!

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I have several steel framed CZ pistols. They're not as inexpensive as they used to be but are still a great value.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Another underrated brand. CZ has awesome customer service and support.
Start clearing some space in your safe, your sp01 will need a sister/brother .

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a 75 D PCR that I am breaking in. Only about 100 rounds so far. I like DA/SA pistols and this one is no exception.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've shot my friends SP01. Actually, he let me fire the first shot through it. Very accurate, well built gun. I'm not a big DA/SA fan, but the heft of it and the build quality would make it a contender if I was looking for a steel frame full size pistol. You really can't go wrong with anything CZ that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
49 Posts
CZs are great! I have 5 of them. I have an SP-01 Phantom, a 75B high polished stainless, a 75B Omega, a P-01, and a P-01 Omega. All of them are outstanding and extremely accurate. I've never had a malfunction of any kind with any of my CZs. The Phantom is the polymer variant, but the all steel SP-01 variants are excellent too. If you are looking for a range gun, the standard SP-01 with safety would be my suggestion. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Fair warning though...they're addictive! ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've decided to pull the trigger so to speak on a new CZ. I had the pleasure of shooting one at the range, I was impressed. I'm not familiar with the CZ series, but everything I've researched and read found it to be a great firearm. I've narrowed down the model which I'm considering, the 75SP-01 which I shot at the range. But they do have several. Any input would be appreciated.

I also had the pleasure of shooting an SP-01 at the range a couple years ago and immediately ordered one online. What a pleasure it was to shoot that hefty, accurate and well-built handgun! When I got it, I was a little disappointed in the rough, stiff trigger action. But as I found out on the CZ forum, lots of dry-fires with snap caps and plenty of range time would smooth out and lighten up the trigger. After a couple hundred dry-fires and about three hundred rounds down the pipe, things really started to smooth out. Smooth as silk now. Anyway, it's my favorite range gun and it also stands guard and is at the ready when I'm down in my shop. The only thing I've done to it since new is put on wood grips. My X-large hands love the thicker, smoother grips.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
What are you planning on using it for? They make a sub compact, compact, full size, and extra large size models. I have a P-07 I bought used and is my favorite DA/SA, it just shoots the best for me, but I have a ten year old SP-01 that's still going strong, my current home defense pistol.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
My only experience with a CZ handgun is also the gun that I shoot as well, or better, than any other pistol in my collection. Mine is a 75B in brushed stainless, but I am currently trying to find a 75 Compact L at a decent price. CZ’s pistol line has multiplied considerably over the last decade, so, like ActionExpress said, what do you want to do with the gun?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses. The CZ will be used primarily for home defense. IMO, to heavy for every day carry. This handgun feels like one of the best built out there. And should provide years of use for my intended purpose. I've shot it twice already accurate, minimal recoil and fits my hands well. From the research done and input here, I'll have this handgun ordered within the week. I've already started the process, looking for good prices and availability. Thanks again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In case there is any doubt, I am definitely a CZ fanboy. I like everything about them. Enjoy your new addiction...I mean gun! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
I've handled them, and they feel good in the hand, but the double action trigger is a reach...single action is just fine.
My personal experience with CZs extends no further than Scorpions, which are stout and durable.
Moon

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have a CZ P01 basic Shadow and it is a sweet gun and excellent for the range. However I personally like other pistols better for SD purposes as I am not fond of the skinny slide grip area.

Sunny08, CZ offers the SP01 with just safety or just decocker. Since you are using it for home the decocker version might be more appropriate rather than doing manual decocking though many do manual decocking but it would not be my preference. If you decide to do manual decocking on a loaded pistol you might want to get a 5LB bucket full of sand or such to point at when decocking just as an extra precaution. Good luck no matter which way you go.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Yeah, manual decock is dicey bidness, especially with an adrenaline dump.
Moon

·
Registered
202 Posts
The CZ lineup is top tier. A jewel of the handgun world, top 5 in my opinion. The CZP01 is a flagship gun, based off the nearly perfect CZ75 lineup, and withstood incredible NATO testing for rugged reliability.
https://cz-usa.com/press-release/cz-p-01-gets-nato-approval-the-next-generation-of-perfect-pistols/

This was from their marketing about 14 years ago, and prompted me to get one around that time:
The police required that the pistol ensure the highest level of comfort, an extended slide release was added as well as an extended magazine release and the trigger was reshaped to give a more consistent pull throughout the trigger stroke.

The pistol must be 100% reliable in extreme conditions, the following is a list of some of the minimum requirements.

Must be able to complete the following without failure:

4000 dry firings
3000 De-cockings
Operator level disassembly 1350 times with out ware or damage to components.
Complete disassembly 150 times, this is all the way down, pins, springs etc.
100% interchangability, any number of pistols randomly selected, disassembled, parts mixed and reassembled with no failures of any kind including loss of accuracy.

Safety requirements:

Drop test
1.5 meter (4.9”) drop test, this is done 54 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked. Dropping the pistol on the butt, the muzzle, back of the slide, sides of the gun, top of the slide, in essence, any angle that you could drop the gun from. This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

3meter drop (9.8”) 5 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked, This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

After these tests are complete the gun must fire without service.

The factory contracted an independent lab to do additional testing on guns that previously passed the drop tests. These pistol were dropped an additional 352 times without failure.

The pistol must also complete an environmental conditions test:
This means cold, heat, dust/sand and mud.
The pistol must fire after being frozen for 24 hours at –35C (-36F).
The pistol must fire after being heated for 24 hours at 70C (126F)
The pistol must fire after being submerged in mud, sand and combinations including being stripped of oil then completing the sand and mud tests again.

Service life:
The service life requirement from the Czech police was 15,000 rounds of +P ammo!
The pistol will exceed 30,000 rounds with ball 9mm.

Reliability:
The reliability requirements for the P-01 pistol are 99.8%, that’s a .2% failure rate.
This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 “Mean Rounds Between Failure” (MRBF)
During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds! Over 4 time the minimum acceptable requirement.
The U.S. Army MRBF requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols with 115 grain Ball ammunition.

Heritage:
The P-01 is based on the CZ 75, the most used pistol in the world. Over 60 countries use it as the standard side arm of their Armies, National police forces, National security agencies or other Law enforcement organizations. No other pistol can make this claim.
If you like a aluminum framed compact workhorse with 14+1 on tap and a decocker style hammer fired pistol, with arguably the best ergos of any pistol ever made, it's frankly hard to find a BETTER gun at any price.

About the only guns I'd consider true peers are a Sig P229, and an HK USP Compact.

My experience - I've owned or fired about every modern quality handgun or variant thereof available. I have carried a CZ75 or CZP01 for concealed carry often. The CZ is often in the rotation or not too deep in the bench. I've had a P01 since 2006, a few years after their 2003 release. I love it.

Tim over at the MAC carries or used to carry the PO1 and gave glowing reviews of it. https://youtu.be/Zl3BKsIgRek

The primary difference is positive safety or a decocker.
CZ75 generally has the safety (1911 style, up to lock, down to fire). Generally no rail, sleeker look.
CZP01 has the decocker and rail if you need a rail.

There is a polymer series that is worth a look, the P07. Simple improvements with capacity and polymer weight reduction. And a swappable safety or decocker. And rail. Great guns with even a small ergo improvement IMO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sunny08, I own the CZ SP-01 as well as the P-07 Duty, P-09, P-10c & I just ordered the new P-10 full-size. As you can tell...I love my CZ's. The SP-01 is a shooter right out of the box. They are easy to work on & built like tanks. Have you considered any hand gun from the P Series?
The P-10's have an excellent striker fired trigger. Mines neck & neck w/my PPQ Q5. I sent my P-09 to Cajun Gun Works & she came back a shooter. Feel free to ask me any questions on the CZ's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a few CZs - their subcompact 2075 RAMI, P07 (composite frame) and the 75B. The 75B is hands down my favorite and most accurate full size semi. I have carried the 2075 IWB and OWB. It's a chunk. The P07 (urban grey with threaded barrel) was a gift from the wife and sort of a play gun (did my own trigger job) and was supposed to be my IDPA gun. I handled the SP01 and really like it. The P07 felt good in the showroom, but on the range the heavy steel receiver and the lightweight composite lower assembly just doesn't feel that great for me. It will probably be relegated to glove box service.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts