Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am new to Walther and new to this Forum. Ihave a few questions. 1.What are the good and not so good about these weapons? 2. How are they to clean any tips on this?3. what caliber do you like 32 or.380?  Thanks alot, Bob McGehee.Perris, Calif.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've fired the PP, PP Super and I own a PPK/S now. But I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1. These are very fine weapons, indeed, with an almost 80-year history. They were used as police sidearms for years, and were only recently supplanted by lighter, smaller compacts as back-up guns (BUGs). All of the PP line is heavy for its size, based on the all-metal frame. There exist today a wide variety of polymer-based alternatives that are much lighter and probably as reliable. They are extremely accurate, and were the best I've ever shot with a pistol out of the box. It's a very pretty gun, and of course the PPK-type has the James Bond appeal.

2. Cleaning is easy. Blowback designed pistols (and SMGs) leave residue in very predictable places. PPK's strip very fast- you could accomplish it in 10 seconds easy. A more detailed strip is simple, and reassembly would require little effort or tools. All-metal frame and slide (as well as most internal parts) will require more lubrication, but will also last longer, and stand up to harsh cleaners more durably.

3. I purchased my PPK/S in .380ACP, but purchased slide, magazines, and barrel for .32ACP. I've done the conversion a few times now, and shot both as much as I could. The .380 has an extremely powerful recoil, that is not fully absorbed by the frame of the pistol, so the remainder will go into your hand. After 3 magazines, the skin on the webbing of my hand was broken and starting to bleed- not from slide bite either. .380 was very accurate, and 4 ammo types fed well, with only minor feed problems when I was breaking in the pistol. The .32 was smooth, fed very well, and was just as accurate. Muzzle flip was strong still, due to the very short barrel, but recoil was very manageable. Ammo was fine. You'll find most newer PPK(/S)'s sold in the United States today to be .380, because it's a larger, more powerful modern ammunition, respected for "stopping power". As a target shooter, you can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
1) The Walther PPK is very accurate, The fixed barrel design has alot to do with this, The Blowback design does have alot of percieved recoil for a .380 but it's nothing compaired to a 357 snubie, The 32acp would be a little milder.
The early PPKs had a short beavertail & sharp slide that has been known to bite the hand if not held correctly, S&W solved these problems..
The sights on the PPK are very small, But anything bigger would likely get snagged on things, C&S has an option of larger sights on the PPK but there ugly IMO..
2) The Stainless Steel that my PPK/S is made of cleans very easily, I use Hoppes #9.. There's realy not much to cleaning the PPK.. A patch or two down the barrel a good wiping with a wet patch & it's ready to lube..
3) I prefer the 9mm kurtz/.380acp as I use this weapon for concealed carry.
I too own a SIG Bob, I have a SIG Sauer P225/P6.. Being You & I are SIG Guys why aren't we/you looking at a SIG Sauer P230/P232?? The Walther PPK/S Rocks!! That's why!!
I can't realy give you any bad news about my Walther as It's been 100% except for a few misfeeds with an Aftermarket MEC-GAR magazine, It's a Range Mag Now!!
And I have never been hurt by my PPK/S and I've shot 200 at one sitting, I did notice that My Beretta, Glock, SIG & HK recoil less but there all much bigger & heavier..And Most Have a Modified Browning action, Except for My HK P7M8 which is blowback with a gas delayed action..The Beretta uses a Locking Block Similar to the Walther P38.. All Great Designs..
PPKs are Great!!
Look into the newer S&W Manufactured Walther PPKs
Welcome to the Walther Forum SIG-BOB

·
Registered
713 Posts
Can't add much to whats been said.
They look better than Plastic guns. They fit in pocket real nice and flat and very fast in to action with the DA trigger after a little practice. The recoil isn't all that bad and with a PPK's series you getting full power from the round unlike the little Fl. gun..
The 380 while not considered the best rounds for SD. But isn't somthing you want to be shot with. It will do the job. I have ask 380 haters to show me a case where after 2 rounds of HP to chest. Person continitued attack and hurt or killed 380 user. No one has ever offered a case. I carry my PPK/S 90% of time and have compleate faith in it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Flusher, you are really teasing me with that picture
.  I am about ready to sell something so that I can get one of those. Maybe one of my children.

Ditto MichaelT on the thin profile.  I think thin is the most important aspect of the ppk, makes it very comfortable to conceal.  As your name implies, you must be a Sig guy, so you are used to "chunky" wide handguns, with a ppk you will notice a big difference. The German specimines like Flusher has have better rounded edges, but are expensive and hard to find.  If you buy an American stainless copy and can melt the edges down like Baretta92 did, you will have a real nice peice.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Melted & Smooth!!
B92s Custom Carry PPK/S

Did I fail to mention That this pistol is GREAT!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a ppk/s bought in 1979 - 1980 was wondering how much it's worth . Excellent condition , less than 100 rounds have been fired have plastic case and paperwork from it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts