Walther Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got an answer from walther today. Not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate the gunsmiths taking the time to address my concerns. Looks like I’ll be cleaning this pistol up the best I can and then it’s going to market. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and input on this.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Im kind of struggling with Walther's response... If its a result of the natural breakdown of the factory finish, how can walther not refinish it? If its simply a cleaning issue, how do they recommend you clean it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Im kind of struggling with Walther's response... If its a result of the natural breakdown of the factory finish, how can walther not refinish it? If its simply a cleaning issue, how do they recommend you clean it?
IMO, the people at Walther explained it clearly. They have no control over the chemicals, oil or whatever the finish may have had applied or been exposed to. They have no way of controlling how the gun has been stored. If in a leather holster, the tanning chemicals can cause problems with the finish. If in a humid environment, rust and corrosion will occur.

I think Walther's response was logical and reasonable.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I think Walther's response was logical and reasonable.
I agree with this. To get a refinish would require Walther USA to send the slide back to Germany. That's not going to be cost effective. The company I work for doesn't warranty corrosion either. Corrosion control is the responsibility of the end user.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’m certainly not criticizing Walther. Sorry if that was implied. I was just curious about the “normal on older guns” implies a corrosion problem for most older P99s one day.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I was just curious about the “normal on older guns” implies a corrosion problem for most older P99s one day.
Corrosion is a problem for ALL metal regardless of age. Especially steel. Steel surfaces need to be coated with a light film of oil. Store your firearms away from humidity and out of leather holsters. Wipe your salty sweat and fingerprints off before putting them away.

It's up to us to protect them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I appreciate Walther taking the time to look at my firearm. While I had hoped to get a refinish, I understand their point of view. I’ve cleaned this pistol up as much as I feel comfortable and decided to move it along to someone else who may want it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry for late to this thread. How about use clp or gun oil and use a tooth brush and scrub the crap out of it. Then use the gun scrubber to clean it. End with cold blue touch up and see if it hide the pitting in black color?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hoping for a good result. P99 is a great platform, and it is one you can pass on to legacy. I know my future little ones will divvy up my pistols, and one of them will get the P99.

Glad to hear things are moving along. Good sign that they are asking for information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I posted this pistol for sale on this page but did not get any bites. Think it’s time for cerekote. I’m gonna go to town on the gold colored material that seems to be causing my problems with 0000 steel wool and 3 n 1. Then I will look for a reputable cerekote shop. Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my newbie questions

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
I’m gonna go to town on the gold colored material that seems to be causing my problems with 0000 steel wool and 3 n 1.
If you're going to have it refinished then I would send it in as is and let the shop do whatever they need to do themselves. Sometimes when customers try to "help" it just makes the job harder.

Then I will look for a reputable cerekote shop.
At one point FoxFire Finishes in Springdale, AR was the only Walther authorised cerakote vendor. They still might be. I would try them first.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I imagine a P99 done up with really nice Cerakote would be a site to see!! Please post photos if this is your path.

I have to agree with RedCat on this one. Customer putting elbow grease into something looking to take work off the shoulders of the Cerakote shop ends up making it tougher for them.

They have really good ways of doing surface prep. They can strip old finish off like nobody’s business.

Heck, you’re paying them to do it anyways, let them handle the trouble, wash your hands of it and anticipate the return of a nicely finished pistol.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts