Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. New here and sorry to start off this way but I’m hoping y’all can help me out. I have a rust outbreak and need solid advice. Walther p99 .40 cal. Disassembled my pistol and gave it a good clp wipe down to evaluate the damage. This is what I uncovered. Also a little rust remains inside
the barrel. Everything appears to be rusting where the factory engravings are. Not sure if an armorer or aftermarket refinishing is my best option. Don’t want to break the bank, I intended to sell it to fund another project until I discovered this. I have more pictures of the barrel and other side of slide but not tech savvy. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
101 Posts
A good quality gun oil and oooo steel wool used gently should eliminate light rust. Once the rust is gone, keep a light coating of oil on all the metal parts.

I keep a cloth cut from an old T-shirt lightly saturated with 3-in-1 Oil. After every use, I wipe down all external steel surfaces of my guns with it.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Everything appears to be rusting where the factory engravings are. Not sure if an armorer or aftermarket refinishing is my best option.
From your pictures I don't believe that any refinishing is neccessary. I would just clean it up as best as you can with oil and either bronze or 0000 steel wool.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Oh man I use 3-in-1 like I use Simple Green. On just about everything. That stuff is a God-send. If I ever deplete the bottle I have, I make sure I pick up two next time I am out.

I have also used the 0000 brass wool on light surface corrosion to great effect! I had an old Weaver K4 scope with the European-style post reticle that I really liked. Had some surface boogering on it, turned reddish orange one day when I gazed at it. Immediately broke out a massive jar of elbow grease, some 3-in-1, and the 0000 brass wool. Took it right up back down to bare metal. Immediately got a cold bluing kit and touched it up. It was like nothing ever happened. I was nervous using a box-store Birchwood Casey kit on such a fine scope. But I was pleasantly surprised by the results. Just matched the blue job it had on it already, and it was like I didn’t even touch it up myself.

If you are still not convinced. Invest in Cerakote. One and done..

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Looking at my P99 (later gen mind you) but the etching is all filled in with white paint or something. To prevent what happened to yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you to everyone that took the time to respond. Looks like it’s a 3-1 oil and 0000 steel wool treatment for this pistol. If I can clean it up, any idea what a fair price would be?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you to everyone that took the time to respond. Looks like it’s a 3-1 oil and 0000 steel wool treatment for this pistol. If I can clean it up, any idea what a fair price would be?
Just be careful and don't apply too much pressure. You only want to neutralize and remove the rust. Others will have to help with value as I don't own a P99 and am not up to speed on current prices for them.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
10 years ago I paid $400 out the door for it new. I have about 300 rounds through mine, and I think if I were to turn around and sell it, I’d ask $500 for it in the current climate.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Yours also looks like an older Generation P99, so you might be able to ask more. Also, and I am assuming here, that you have a 9mm model, and that is the fan favorite of the chambering options. I am going to parrot what some others on here would say on here, and tell you to check the SOLD or completed sales on GB and other sites. This will give you a good indication of what the market will bear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd suggest that after cleaning the rust of that you get Gun Lubricant from Slip 2000. It acts as a barrier against rust. I was having a rust issue with PPQ mags rusting out. I cleaned the rust off them and applied the Gun Lube and they've been good since the cleaning. The lube gets down into the microscopic "pores" in the metal so that rust can't form in them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A good quality gun oil and oooo steel wool used gently should eliminate light rust. Once the rust is gone, keep a light coating of oil on all the metal parts.

I keep a cloth cut from an old T-shirt lightly saturated with 3-in-1 Oil. After every use, I wipe down all external steel surfaces of my guns with it.
I totally concur with this...works like a charm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE
I’ve done some very light work with 0000 wool and 3 in 1 oil. Things look better but still seeing what appears to be very light pitting inside the engravings. I’ve reached out to walther USA to see if I can get a factory refinish, and I’m willing to pay for it. If not I will look at cerekote, my son wants me to keep it

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like that test target. That's a very good group. My new PPQ Q5 Match test target group is 1 13/16 inches which isn't bad either at 25 meters.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heard back from walther today asking for pics. I sent the same ones posted here. Hopefully they can help me get this squared away

1 - 20 of 35 Posts