Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this. Sorry if it's not...

My Dad brought this gun home with him from Germany on Nov. 6, 1945. It's a 32 cal. or a 7.65 cal. He had someone work on it at some point. which is why the grips were replaced with the ones you see now, something about having issues with the safety. I can remember him saying it had pearl handles, or grips at one point. The slide I believe was replaced also which is probably why the numbers don't match. It seems my Dad got screwed on that deal. I'm wondering what model this gun is, and why there aren't any of the markings on the gun like the ones I'm reading about from members of this forum. I would appreciate any info about this.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,506 Posts
It would appear someone buffed the bejeezes out of it, taking the markings along. Interesting grips, made from (aircraft?) lexan.
Does it run now? How's the bore?
Moon

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Looks to me like it has been nickle plated. Typical of post war “ G.I. bring back” pistols. Seems doubtful that pistol ever had real pearl grips since MOP is very brittle and hard to get. I like the lean handles ... first time I have seen them on a Walther.

If I had a similar pistol my Dad brought home from the war, I would consider it the neatest most valuable Walther on the planet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would appear someone buffed the bejeezes out of it, taking the markings along. Interesting grips, made from (aircraft?) lexan.
Does it run now? How's the bore?
Moon

The bore is in excellent shape. The only part of this gun that looks bad is the clip. Does this gun look like any model familiar to you? Even the certificate from the Army giving my Dad permission to bring this gun back to the States doesn't say much. In fact Walthers is misspelled on the form.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
This PP was built at the end or after the war. You can tell that by the markings on the slide and the lack of the firing proofs. (Eagle N) That should be on the slide and barrel at the ejection port. Interesting grips as noted. At this time they could’ve been black plastic or pressed wood.

These are collectible, but not much value in these when replated. Here’s a similar variation to yours. Notice no serial number on the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Army also messed up by listing the serial number on the slide instead of the frame in that letter. The official SN# of any firearm is from the frame.
Cool grips, though. Reminds me of the S&W 39 ASP mods that had see thru grips for a clear round count in the magazines.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,506 Posts
...If I had a similar pistol my Dad brought home from the war, I would consider it the neatest most valuable Walther on the planet.

That is a sooth. It won't be worth squat to a collector, but if it was mine, I'd treasure it for where it's been, and how it came into my possession.

It is indeed a PP. Can't tell from the light in the pics; is it silver or blue?
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,506 Posts
BTW, modern MecGar mags should work; presume it is a 7.65/.32? Originals are to be had, but are apt to be pricey.
Moon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a sooth. It won't be worth squat to a collector, but if it was mine, I'd treasure it for where it's been, and how it came into my possession.

It is indeed a PP. Can't tell from the light in the pics; is it silver or blue?
Moon

It's silver, and a 7.65/32 cal. I'm not trying to find out what it's worth, I'm just trying to find out any info about it that I could. Without any markings on it, besides the serial # and the other # , I had nothing to compare it with.

If I need to find parts for it, or change grips etc. what model would I be looking at?
I don't think this has been replated, and it doesn't look like it's been buffed to where the markings have disappeared.

Thanks to all for the feedback

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
It's a mismatched German WW2 era pistol. The very shallow etched slide markings (if they were there originally) and other shallow markings could have been easily wiped off when the pistol was polished and plated. It should be have a blued finish, handles were likely black plastic or pressed wood.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
If I need to find parts for it, or change grips etc. what model would I be looking at?
You have a Walther PP but grips and magazines for the Walther PPK/S will also work. If you want to get a modern magazine for it I'd use one made by Mec-Gar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts