Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Circa 1939 and a gun that any Walther collector would love to have in his/her collection. Your friend may know how it came to be here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is his fathers. Unfortunately he has alzheimers and can not tell us where or when just that he has always had it. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is in very nice condition for a 1939 year. Even the holster is in beautiful condition.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
If his Dad served in Europe during WWII he likely brought it home as a war trophy. Someone may come along and identify the property mark (?) on the beavertail which may or may not increase value. If my Dad brought that gun back from the war it would be priceless and never be for sale. The rig would easily sell for $1200 and would realize much more with patience. BTW when I say easily I mean cash in hand tomorrow. It's a beauty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just did the math and my friends father isn't near old enough to have been in wwII. He is 82 years old. Hopefully he will be able to recall.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Very clean, too bad about the cracked grips, but otherwise, very nice.

We have A LOT of "one post" wonders here. Are you posting the pictures because you want to sell it? If so, please post in the classifieds.

James in Denver

PS No offense meant, just that we get a lot of "What's this worth" only to see the exact same gun online at a seller or auction site.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Worst flaw I can find. Slight crack in the grip.
It's from shrinkage of the plastic of that era. Unfortunately 95% of prewar PPK grips show some shrinkage or cracks or both. I have been told it's caused by evaporation of all the embedded moisture; not sure if that's true. At least it shows that the grips are original.

I know of no way to remedy this, though it MIGHT be possible to arrest the process by rehydrating the grips by boiling them in water while holding them against a flat block to prevent sagging or warpage. I think I'd try it on a broken pair first...

M

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
From reading here, it appears that newer grips will fit; might as well take off the originals and store them.
Moon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the great information. I have no intention to sell it as it is not mine to sell. I don't believe my friend will sell it either. I just wanted to get some information for him so he would know what he has and take care of it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts