Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a pistol I just purchased. Just picked this up from my LGS and wanted to know a little more about it. I see it has the CAI stamp on it and was wondering about when that was applied because I see by the serial number it was made in 1959, and of course the value on a piece like this. Thanks guys

·
Registered
632 Posts
I see it has the lanyard loop. Any other markings on the other side?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on the red booklet with it, it is a former Danish police pistol. I believe the year on that shows 1981.

Given the original box and overall condition, I’d be interested up to maybe 500.
Ok, so I didn’t get murdered at 550 all included. I really like it and it seemed to be a fair price. Thank you

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Seems to be a Danish (at least Scandinavian) police surplus, imported by CAI. I like to see rhs of the gun incl. serial number.

·
Registered
690 Posts
So was the red booklet from when the gun was imported in to the US?
No. My Danish is mostly limited to German cognates, but the booklet appears to be police-issue, and deals with safety and storage from words I can read on the cover.

Since Denmark obviously got the guns much earlier than 1981, likely when new, they may have updated policies that year.

Can you tell from illustrations how specific the booklet is to the PP? It may have been added when the gun was released for commercial sale in Denmark; the 1980s was when most European agencies got rid of their 7.65mm pistols.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems to be a Danish (at least Scandinavian) police surplus, imported by CAI. I like to see rhs of the gun incl. serial number.
No. My Danish is mostly limited to German cognates, but the booklet appears to be police-issue, and deals with safety and storage from words I can read on the cover.

Since Denmark obviously got the guns much earlier than 1981, likely when new, they may have updated policies that year.

Can you tell from illustrations how specific the booklet is to the PP? It may have been added when the gun was released for commercial sale in Denmark; the 1980s was when most European agencies got rid of their 7.65mm pistols.
I went thought the book and there is no English or pictures.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Your PP was made 1959/1960 acc. to its serial number. Someone added a postfix (P) to the number, it's not original.

The German manual was printed in the 60's. The picture of the Walther factory backside on the sleeve could answer the year more exactly, early manuals show the factory w.o. annex. Later versions show the building incl. annex. Interesting that it is the German Walther manual, not the French Manurhin manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your PP was made 1959/1960 acc. to its serial number. Someone added a postfix (P) to the number, it's not original.

The German manual was printed in the 60's. The picture of the Walther factory backside on the sleeve could answer the year more exactly, early manuals show the factory w.o. annex. Later versions show the building incl. annex. Interesting that it is the German Walther manual, not the French Manurhin manual.
Thanks for the info, any clue though as to what that P could be? Also what is that crown thing right near the P?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for the info, any clue though as to what that P could be? Also what is that crown thing right near the P?
A P suffix denotes a wartime PP, but someone trying to fake that on a French-stamped gun for nefarious purposes would be exceedingly stupid.

Since I think I see that crown mark also on the barrel through the ejection port, I would presume it’s a proof mark, although I’m not sure from where; the St. Etienne mark on the Manurhin PPs I am familiar with looks different; this is a 1955/56 example; in later years the ST. ETIENNE was no longer spelled out, they just used the shield, but it’s still a different one from yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,692 Posts

As Absalom wrote: P was a usual suffix to identicate a pre war (Zella-Mehlis) made PP. Really stupid to 'fake' a Manurhin PP w. the P-suffix.

Three ships on a shield w. crown is a French proofmark => Paris proofhouse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.