Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and bought a P99 Saturday. I ended up with a .40 QA with the Titanium slide. Although I’ve had rifles and shotguns I’m definitely new to the handgun scene. I really like the gun but ran into a couple problems. First the trigger seems really heavy. I was out today with a friend and his Sig has a much lighter trigger. My accuracy with his Sig was significantly better than with the P99 and he accredited it to the trigger. I know everyone has talked about the trigger already but here’s my real problem.

The trigger seems to be binding on something. I put 250 rounds through it Saturday and Sunday and by the end of the day Sunday the trigger was having a hard time coming all the way forward. It was bad enough that I had to pull the trigger forward every couple shots to engage the hammer again.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Is it possible that whatever the problem might be is also causing the extra heavy trigger?

I imagine I’m going to have to send it in. It’s stamped with S&W on the side even though it’s a Walther. Should I call and S&W or Walther America?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can't say that I have had this problem with mine. The trigger pull seems adaquite. Is this problem in SA or DA mode? If its in Single Action mode that you are expereincing this then you might want to disasemble the slide and see if there is anything catching. Keep it lightly oiled and see if that helps.

If your trigger is not coming all the way forward its because its in Single Action mode. Come to think about it I am sure the sig that you fired should have been the same way.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
mrshish,

If I'm understanding you correctly, the trigger was working fine at first and now it's not, correct?

If that's the case, it could be some piece of crud got stuck in the trigger mechanism somewhere.

Did you clean your gun before you started shooting it? Sometimes the grease they put on the P99 isn't condusive to proper functioning. Its more for storage protection from the elements as it travels over here from Germany. You might try to clean the gun up and then shoot it again before sending it in.

(By the way, Walther America is basically S&W. S&W manages the importation of the Walther product line)

As far as the trigger compared to your friends SIG. The QA trigger is a 6 lb. constant pull trigger. The SIG has a Double Action pull and then a single Action Pull. When you were shooting his SIG, you were probably shooting in the SA mode, which is a around a 4 lb pull. I've found that I can actually shoot the QA P99 better than the traditional trigger pull. So you just may need to practice a bit more. Or you can go find a P99AS model, which has the DA/SA trigger.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
timitim: It's a QA not AS so the DA/SA isn't the problem.

P88: I think you might be right on the cleaning. Saturday I gave it the standard barrel cleaning but didn't look too close at the rest. I got home late last night and didn't took at it. I just popped it open and there is a lot of crud in the grease under the slide. Tonight I'll give it a good scrub and see what happens after that.

I also think you might be right regarding the trigger. I'm sure the 4 lb trigger is easier to fire since I'm not used to it but with practive I'll get better. I don't think I like the idea of carrying a 4 lb trigger anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts