Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting one for a long time and finally found one at a LGS in stainless, 380 of course. Happened that I stopped by on way to the gun range so took it with me without clean or lube. I was pleasantly surprised at both accuracy and reliability right out of the box. I shot 100 rounds of Remington FMJ and another 50 rounds of assorted defense loads. When I say “assorted” I mean Speer JHP, Sig JHP, Hornady Critical Defense, Fiocchi Suprema JHP, and Underwood JHP +P. I wasn’t keeping track of how many of each flavor, I was just loading mags and firing. Almost every time the loads were randomly assorted in the mag. I would put one round in a mag, cycle slide and chamber round, then releasing mag and loading six rounds and reinserting. So, was always shooting 6+1 because that’s the way I will carry. This puppy ran flawlessly — not a single malfunction! And accuracy was really good at 7 yards for a pistol of this size. Groups running 2-3” with holes frequently touching. I also have a pre-ban PP .380, a PPK .380, and a Ft. Smith PPK/s .380, and can’t shoot them as well. My only negative for these Fort Smith pistols is the sights and their minuscule front red dot. I have to really strain to get a good sight picture with my tired old cataract infested eyes (I’m 72). That might suffice for range work but for social work it will be more point and shoot.

Not sure what was working for me today. The trigger was heavy but smooth in DA and SA was a clean break with less pressure. Probably a better trigger than on any of my other Walthers. I was shooting first round DA then remaining SA. I was doing unusually well with first DA round.
Anyway, I was just so pleased and impressed with this new PPK that I wanted to share my story with fellow Walther fans. There is really some good stuff coming out of Fort Smith these days.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Been wanting one for a long time and finally found one at a LGS in stainless, 380 of course. Happened that I stopped by on way to the gun range so took it with me without clean or lube. I was pleasantly surprised at both accuracy and reliability right out of the box. I shot 100 rounds of Remington FMJ and another 50 rounds of assorted defense loads. When I say “assorted” I mean Speer JHP, Sig JHP, Hornady Critical Defense, Fiocchi Suprema JHP, and Underwood JHP +P. I wasn’t keeping track of how many of each flavor, I was just loading mags and firing. Almost every time the loads were randomly assorted in the mag. I would put one round in a mag, cycle slide and chamber round, then releasing mag and loading six rounds and reinserting. So, was always shooting 6+1 because that’s the way I will carry. This puppy ran flawlessly — not a single malfunction! And accuracy was really good at 7 yards for a pistol of this size. Groups running 2-3” with holes frequently touching. I also have a pre-ban PP .380, a PPK .380, and a Ft. Smith PPK/s .380, and can’t shoot them as well. My only negative for these Fort Smith pistols is the sights and their minuscule front red dot. I have to really strain to get a good sight picture with my tired old cataract infested eyes (I’m 72). That might suffice for range work but for social work it will be more point and shoot.

Not sure what was working for me today. The trigger was heavy but smooth in DA and SA was a clean break with less pressure. Probably a better trigger than on any of my other Walthers. I was shooting first round DA then remaining SA. I was doing unusually well with first DA round.
Anyway, I was just so pleased and impressed with this new PPK that I wanted to share my story with fellow Walther fans. There is really some good stuff coming out of Fort Smith these days.
I found the same thing with my Fort Smith PPK. I've been pleasant surprised by it's reliability with a variety of loads. As you point out, the trigger pulls are good. Even the DA pull.

But...that dang front sight! Miniscule! Thank God the thing points so well.

A little bigger front sight though would do wonders for this middle-aged guy's ability to shoot the gun well under less than perfect conditions.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Out of curiosity what is the street price on the new PPk's?
I've seen MSRP listed at $849 which seems like it went up, but nobody has them in stock so I don't know what they are really going for.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've seen MSRP listed at $849 which seems like it went up, but nobody has them in stock so I don't know what they are really going for.

I ran across one in a local shop back in December and gave a little under $700.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I paid $689 plus tax which I considered a good deal. These PPKk’s are scarce and I see very few on GB and then as much as $799. Buds has none in stock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a first edition with the wood grips late last year for $750+ tax. That very same store is selling the base model with plastic grips for $850 now (before everything shut down). It is a sweet shooting gun though. Love the trigger on it and I'm a proper trigger snob. Mine had a lot of reliability issues in the first 1000 rounds but that has cleared up by itself. It's now fairly reliable.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I paid $799 for my PPK from BudsGunShop.com on March 25th.

It just got delivered to my FFL this last Wednesday & I picked it up yesterday.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got a PPK/S from Impact Guns for $699 back in December, and I'm glad I did. I was always wondering when Walther would bring the .380 back into production. My wife is a fan of it because of James Bond, and I just like the appearance and its reputation as a reliable little .380.

Like Markmontana, I put everything through it, and it ran like a top with it all. My wife and I each would trade it back and forth with each magazine-full, and between the two of us, we consistently were able to blow out a big chunk of the middle of the target at 10 yards. The sights are small, but while they don't lend themselves to rapid target acquisition, they do facilitate precise aiming.

By the way, we found the ARX Interceptor rounds to be the best grouping and shooting of all the types we tried, to include Sig V-Crown, Federal HST, Remington HTP, Hornady Ultimate Defense, and Speer Gold Dots, among others. It's a great pistol.

My wife likes it so much that she has taken to shooting it more than her PPQ, in fact. The recoil is easier for her to manage, and with very careful work on the sharp edges of the back strap with 400-grit sand paper, it doesn't dig into her hands as much. She easily goes through 200 rounds in a range session with it, and we both consistently hit 10" plates at 25 yards with it, too. I already said it once, but it's worth saying again. It is a top-notch pistol.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Happy to hear that the new ones are running reliably on a mixed bag of ammo. Ammo fussiness was one main issue with the older ones.
Rappy recoil was the other; you folks are gluttons for punishment with the 150 round range sessions. :)
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
As long as it doesn't cut me up I can deal with the recoil. At least to a point.

So far, so good with this new PPK.

It does have some sharp edges but luckily, they are not in spots that slice me up.

Maybe I just got lucky.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the non-melonite version, just so I could file away the sharp edges if necessary.

The gun doesn't have the looks and historical panache of the older guns, but its a good gun in its own way. It works reliably, has a good trigger and seems pretty forgiving in the ammo department.

It's better than I expected. I'm glad I gave it a chance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As long as it doesn't cut me up I can deal with the recoil. At least to a point.

So far, so good with this new PPK.

It does have some sharp edges but luckily, they are not in spots that slice me up.

Maybe I just got lucky.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the non-melonite version, just so I could file away the sharp edges if necessary.

The gun doesn't have the looks and historical panache of the older guns, but its a good gun in its own way. It works reliably, has a good trigger and seems pretty forgiving in the ammo department.

It's better than I expected. I'm glad I gave it a chance.
I'm glad you gave it a chance, too. It's an iconic design, and this even has a slide that came from Germany, itself. I have a Hogue grip sleeve on the way from Midway to put on it to ease the feel of the edges, some. I look forward to seeing how my wife likes that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't know why Walther doesn't break the sharp corners. It doesn't need much. I used 600 grit paper to basically polish the corners around the thumb. You can't really notice it and it made a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
I don't know why Walther doesn't break the sharp corners. It doesn't need much. I used 600 grit paper to basically polish the corners around the thumb. You can't really notice it and it made a world of difference.
I agree with you. I can only guess they do not want to take the time to do it.

Time = Money

But for what they are charging, I'd really like to see them take that little extra time and do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with you. I can only guess they do not want to take the time to do it.

Time = Money

But for what they are charging, I'd really like to see them take that little extra time and do it.
Has the PPK/S always had those sharp corners, or is that just a characteristic of the latest iteration? I just assumed that because of the era in which it was first born as the PP, the original had the edges, too. If the PP had had the edges rounded, then the PPK/S should have had the edges rounded, too.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Has the PPK/S always had those sharp corners, or is that just a characteristic of the latest iteration? I just assumed that because of the era in which it was first born as the PP, the original had the edges, too. If the PP had had the edges rounded, then the PPK/S should have had the edges rounded, too.
We would need a connoisseur of the older guns to check in.

I would expect the best of the older guns to be sharp edge free due to the skilled labor used in putting them together. But I don't really know.

The PPK has been around for a long time, manufactured by different people in different locations. Someone who has more experience than I with the many iterations and vintages would be more qualified to answer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We would need a connoisseur of the older guns to check in.

I would expect the best of the older guns to be sharp edge free due to the skilled labor used in putting them together. But I don't really know.

The PPK has been around for a long time, manufactured by different people in different locations. Someone who has more experience than I with the many iterations and vintages would be more qualified to answer.
Yeah, I was hoping one of those connoisseurs would see this line of discussion and add his expertise. I'll be checking this thread to see what comes up. My curiosity is piqued.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 1935 PPK and new Fort Smith PPK. If you’ll let me know what areas of the weapon you are curious about, I’ll be happy to try to provide some comparison pictures.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts