Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go with the DeSantis Speed Scabbard Holster. Was looking for a leather, OWB holster. There's not much to pick from in the local stores, so I went with an established company in the hopes of getting a good holster. So far, I"m not disappointed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,816 Posts
Decided to go with the DeSantis Speed Scabbard Holster. Was looking for a leather, OWB holster. There's not much to pick from in the local stores, so I went with an established company in the hopes of getting a good holster. So far, I"m not disappointed.
Looks like a 'quality' holster.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to the camera flash, the color looks a little orange, but its a nice, rich, light brown.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like that is a super "high ride" design. Does that make it awkward to draw from? Seems like by the time the muzzle clears the holster the butt will be in your armpit. Maybe it's not as extreme as that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like that is a super "high ride" design. Does that make it awkward to draw from? Seems like by the time the muzzle clears the holster the butt will be in your armpit. Maybe it's not as extreme as that.
Spend 3 hours on the range on Sunday. Loved the holster. It does ride high on the hip, but its comfortable. My previous holster for my Browning Hi-Power was a Chapman High Ride, so I'm used to that style.

Oh, and a Great Day at the Range! Shooting my PPQ, PPK/S, and Baby Browning.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the Desantis. I found it didn't quite work for me - you can see my review on the forum HERE . It may be I just needed to spend more time with it, difficult to say. I now have settled on two holsters:
IWB: Theis Holster (Hybrid)
OWB: Kaluban Cloak (Kydex)

Both the above have been used extensively, although with the PPQ I more typically use the OWB since I have a PPS as my typical carry pistol - particularly in the warmer weather.

TheWombat

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wombat,

Good reviews of those holsters.

I like the high ride of the DeSantis Speed Scabbard. A high ride holster keeps the pistol on my hip, in one place, and is very comfortable in most situations (standing, sitting, kneeling, etc.). ITs a good compromose for people who move around a lot during the day (walking, standing, driving, etc.).

Plus, I've worn a Chapman High Ride for years with my Browning Hi-Power, so I'm definitely used to this location of this holster and the draw.

Lastly, I like the leather - the look, the feel. I don't have any experience with plastic or kydex holsters, but I wonder if they are harder on a pistol's finish than leather holsters? What do you think?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Personally I think Kydex is easier on the finish. Less contact with the weapon. Leather polishes the gun sliding in and out. Soon the polishing will Polish thought to the metal. Now on a stainless gun I think leather is great as there is no finish to rub off. YMMV..

·
Registered
181 Posts
re: Kydex vs Leather - I believe the general consensus is that leather continues to wear; while kydex will wear a bit then stop.

However I'm less concerned on how my carry weapon looks - more that it is safe and secure in the holster, easy to access, and reliable when I need it :)

I also have Milt Sparks VMII holsters for a couple of my other firearms - very nice!

I'd recommend taking a look at a good kydex holster - you may find you prefer it once you've tried it for a few days. I use Kaluban Cloak for my PPQ but also have a Raven Concealment on order.

TheWombat

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have found quality kydex holsters wear less than leather. The key is keeping the kydex holster clean, which is very easy compared to leather. Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also use the DeSantis scabbard but went with the thumb break style. Absolutely LOVE this holster and wear it daily as my CCW holster. It sits high enough to cover with whatever shirt I'm wearing even in the heat. I think I'll get another one for one of my other guns, maybe try the speed version.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sits high enough to cover with whatever shirt I'm wearing even in the heat. I think I'll get another one for one of my other guns, maybe try the speed version.
My brother saw my PPQ in my DeSantis and liked it so much he bought one for his Glock 17. After wearing it once, he said the same thing that you just did - it sits nicely on the belt where it can be covered by most any shirt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was thinking about purchasing the desantis holster with thumb break. I was wondering if there are better holsters than this now or is this still good?

I was also wondering what looks better the tan or black leather with a ppq?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use the DeSantis cross draw when I am carrying the P-38. I love the way that it rides. It sits right about where a shoulder holster would put the gun, but without all of the shoulder holster hassles.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts