Walther Forums banner

New CZ in the house.

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  chandler5566 
#1 ·
Picked up a CZ SP-01 Phantom that has been gone over by the CZ Custom Shop...

Has the Custom Shop hammer and sear (no more camming of the hammer in single action), a complete trigger job and interior fluff and buff, the Custom Shop spring kit, and Trijicon tritium sights. The DA pull is 8lbs. with no stacking, feels like a S&W revolver, and the single action pull is right at 3.75lbs, with a really clean break. It's no custom 1911, but what is? It's the best DA/SA decocker trigger I've personally experienced.

Just a pity that the governor closed down the state the day after I picked it up, so no chance to shoot it yet. I'll let you know how she runs, whenever we are allowed back out.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
CZ usually makes good serviceable guns but to call them "top notch quality" is, in my opinion, a long stretch. The fact that it had to go to the custom shop just to get a decent trigger pull does not speak well of standard-line quality.

A few years ago I bought new a CZ97, a steel-framed .45. It was not inexpensive; I paid extra for blued finish and checkered wooden grips. The trigger pull was abominable, the steel was haphazardly polished and the design engineering of the platform to accommodate .45 ACP was miserly and amateurish. After two miserable shooting sessions with it against three other .45s --a SIG, a Glock and an H&K USP--I ranked the CZ97 as well below the rank of the other three. I'm too old and didn't have the time or the inclination to correct all of its shortcomings. I have no room in my safe for second-rate guns, and so put it on consignment at an LGS that I regularly patronize. In a week it was gone, and not missed.

The CZ plant at Uhersky Brod is not the factory at Brno that brought Czech gunmaking into world prominence, any more than Houlton is a manifestation of the talent that once resided at S&W in Springfield. The three Holek and two Koucky brothers, and other great figures in Czech gun development, including Janecek, Myska and Cermak, are long gone, leaving behind a rich tradition that others have not been able to follow.

M

#4 ·
CZ usually makes good serviceable guns but to call them "top notch quality" is, in my opinion, a long stretch. The fact that it had to go to the custom shop just to get a decent trigger pull does not speak well of standard-line quality.
Well, given their price point..you can only expect so much. The CZ Omega trigger models (which use fewer parts) are their best factory triggers in my opinion and those models are actually less money than the regular ones.

I've got an Tanfoglio CZ clone from Italy that I like better than CZ these days, but CZ has a much better service reputation than a lot of companies.

The Phantom is discontinued now, should be a nice shooter Blitz.

#6 ·
Interesting that CZ are one of the most popular target pistols out there for competition shooters, although typically after some tuning.

#13 ·
The only CZs on the premises are Scorpions, old and new. Neither is a thing of beauty; they remind me of ComBloc guns in their straightforwardness. Come to think of it, the older one is a Commie design.

But work they do, everydamntime.

Since the Glockification of gunmaking, suspect we'll see a lot of that.
Blitz', I like the low bore axis, and those pistols always felt good in the hand.
Moon

#14 ·
My son had brought a few guns over for me to keep safe, while he was on vacation a few weeks ago. Among them was his CZ SP-01 that I shot side-by-side with a Sphinx AT2000S. The trigger pull of the Sphinx is worlds better and that showed in better offhand accuracy, at least for me but on the internet everybody shoots masterclass with a HiPoint, while I take all the help I can get:D.

CZ's are pretty well made pistols and have some features that will offer great potential for accuracy, as well as speed shooting but calling the stock CZ a top notch gun is just wrong!

#15 ·
CZ's are pretty well made pistols and have some features that will offer great potential for accuracy, as well as speed shooting but calling the stock CZ a top notch gun is just wrong!
I've never seen a globally accepted or even a Walther Forum definition of "top notch gun" so I have to assume it's yet another individual description. However, I have read many posts on this site as well as numerous articles praising the CZ.

#21 ·
Steve,

I did not come up with the term "top notch". Chandler quoted a part of my post, making it appear like I did but he obviously had not read or comprehended the whole thread but instead rushed to comment.

You have a Walther PP Super, basically the same design like a CZ 50, CZ 70 or FEG AP. I do not know but assume that you have experience with at least one of the other mentioned guns. When directly comparing those guns, the term top-notch will be apparent, especially in double action mode.

As it will be when comparing a very serviceable RIA 1911 to a Les Baer, DW, or Nowlin.

Or a Ruger GP100 to a Manurhin MR73 or Korth.

Or, as I mentioned an SP-01 to a Sphinx AT2000S.

#22 ·
Andy, it was a joke to reinforce the subjectiveness of “top notch”, although in the revolver realm we can point to some as clearly superior to others (e.g., Korth versus Taurus). You nailed the CZ design versus execution dichotomy, and after dropping $700-$1000 to tune a CZ it might make more sense to just buy the Sphinx to begin with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.