Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was down at the farm this weekend giving several Walther pistols a workout. That PP in .32 I purchased btw is running 100%. I put the new hammer block spring in and no joy. Put in a new hammer assembly that didn't fit just properly, no joy. Put the old hammer assembly back in and 500 rounds later the hammer has never followed the slide forward since. I think it was the hammer block spring. I fired Rem and some 60 gr HP, PMC which produce a noticeable flash. All ran 100%.

Then my younger sister shows up with her new magnum Ruger .22 revolver. She couldn't hit the target worth a hoot. Pretty heavy DA trigger. She has one of my P22s and can fire it quite accurately. I let her shoot the PP in .32 and she nailed the target with every shot and pretty fast too.. She really like the grip. It is much smaller than the Ruger. The Ruger does not point, it angles up for her and me. The PP points well. But here is the rub. She can't cycle the slide. She can't cycle the slide on my LCP and I let her try the .380 PPK/S. Of course you all know where that one went. She can shoot them fine....just can't operate the slide.

She is exactly the target that the new CCP might hit. I won't let her get one until these have a 100,000 rounds or so down range from members here but I am hoping this pistol proves to be all it should. She was surprised to learn the CCP was a step up in cartridge power also. She is amazed that I have no problem pulling the slides. Her hands are much smaller than mine though and mine aren't large.

She asked about why everyone keeps pointing her to a revolver so I showed her a few malfunctions that could happen with a semi and how to clear them. How simple a Revolver works but what additional mags in a semi allow you to do. I said most folks think a woman will not train and learn how to properly operate a semi from firm grip to malfunction clearing. I also explained that a good semi should not malfunction but that a firm grip was required. I'm seeing that she does in fact like shootin'..:) M1911

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was going to say. I thought I linked directly to post #8 in that thread.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You did, I picked up the original for some reason. I looked around for the video but didn't see it. This thread is redundant but I don't see a way to delete.Always a day late and a dollar short. :(:) M1911

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On another note I went pistol searching for my sister just a bit today. I was at a gun shop with a lot of pistols. Told one of the salesmen what I was looking for. Looked at the new Glock 42 in .380, pretty stiff slide. PPS, still pretty stiff, not to me but it would be to my sister. Then he handed me a PK380, er, no I said. But I cycled the slide and man is it easy. About 2x a P22. I can see why folks with weak hands and arthritis might like an easy to cycle slide. If the CCP will be easier than this.....then it will be very easy to hand cycle and in 9mm too. Sure hope it works with no issues.

Beretta Tomcat is an interesting concept in .32. Hammer and eliminates the need for hand cycling. Guess that is one solution. M1911

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice to have a CCP in 45acp with a PPQ trigger, all safeties are internal, and the pistol has less controls in the way.

For 9mm I don't think you need reduction, but for 45 its a super idea.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice to have a CCP in 45acp with a PPQ trigger, all safeties are internal, and the pistol has less controls in the way.

For 9mm I don't think you need reduction, but for 45 its a super idea.

I agree, but there's a demographic out there that hasn't shot pistols for well over half of their lives, but who would like to get one, and become proficient enough to be able to carry and use it defensively...older people with hand/wrist injuries, and smaller people who may not be as physically strong will take right to this pistol. That it is also a 9mm is a huge plus, IMO.

While I don't really want a manual safety and am not yet needful of a reduced-strength slide pull force, I am intrigued and plan to acquire at least one of these when I have the funds set aside for it.

My wife has pretty strong hands, but the PPS does cause her a little exertion to load it...she's 29, btw, so it's not as if she has arthritis, it's just a slim pistol with a small slide, so obviously the spring will be stiffer than say a PPQ, which she can fire all day and never have a problem with recoil, slide force, or even loading the mags.
(now if I could just get her wanting to shoot more...:p)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I have first call on a CCP at my LGS. They sell enough pistols that they usually get the the new release Walther in short order.

I am looking at one. Because I have a bone chip in my left shoulder, from when I was blown up back in the 60's. The docs missed it. The chip works its way in to a nerve every once in a while. So if I try to use the arm. The pain can just about knock you out, at its worst. Well anyway, the CCP will be of interest to me, when this happens.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At least Walther is trying some new concepts. Like it or not the P22 really sold some pistols and continues to do so....Ruger even had to finally copy it. The zinc PPK/S is a success and so will this pistol be I'm thinking. Bret said there has been a huge investment in better machinery. The P22Q is certainly better than older ones. The feed ramp and chamber is machined to perfection. Older ones looked like a 10 year old gave the same area a working over with a Dremel and stone.

Is any other gun manufacturer even trying to come up with something like the CCP? I'm seeing a real need for an easy to cycle semi auto that a year ago I didn't see the need for. So, my hats off to Walther for giving it a shot. I've even bought some 9mm ammo and don't even have a 9mm pistol. If this one doesn't work out that PPS is looking pretty good. M1911

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
They should have said: "We borrowed an ingenious design from the H&K P7 and put it into an affordable package." :)

I had little interest in this CCP until I realized that in a way it is somewhat similar to the P7, although hopefully it doesn't require the extra cleaning tools to deal with carbon build up.

My PM9 failed the other day, on its way back to Kahr, hopefully comes back all fixed up but in the event a CCP shows up at a local shop in the meantime I'll probably snap one up. ;)

I love my PM9 as it's so thin and recoil isn't too bad, but the slide on them is really, really stiff when they're new. So snug that the manual actually states you must use the slide stop to chamber a round as sling shot usually means FTF off the bat..lol

·
Registered
350 Posts
I read far too many comments that the CCP is just a "woman's" or a "injured shooter's" pistol. While it may appeal to them, I think it's a CC pistol for everyone.

If you have a pistol with Walther reliability, accuracy & (PPQ) ergonomics, and the lower recoil makes it's easier to keep the barrel on target for quicker, more accurate follow-on shots, wouldn't that be considered a CC pistol for everyone?

It sounds right on the money for me.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Most of the detractors do not like the idea, that it is not made in Ulm, that it is made in Arnsburg. So it doesn't matter if it turns out to be excellent weapon for anyone. They are still going to consider it a woman's and old folks weapon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
She is exactly the target that the new CCP might hit. I won't let her get one until these have a 100,000 rounds or so down range from members here but I am hoping this pistol proves to be all it should. She was surprised to learn the CCP was a step up in cartridge power also. She is amazed that I have no problem pulling the slides. Her hands are much smaller than mine though and mine aren't large. M1911
Just to try and help with any females who are having trouble with semi autos. What my fiancé found is (she's right handed, 5'1" and 95lbs) holding the gun very close to her body, about chest or abdomen level, point it left, grip the slide just behind the ejection port with her thumb over or behind the rear sight (this is more of a palm grip, less fingers), hold tight and push the gun with her right hand as opposed to pulling the slide with her left. For admin purposes until she can break something in, one option can be to break her grip, hold the back of the slide with her right hand, gripping in such a way that her thumb is under the beavertail area and her fingers are behind but close to the ejection port, then essential close your fist and get the slide to crack open, then work the slide open as described before. This takes a little more manipulation but less strength. She saw me doing this while breaking a pistol down for cleaning and for her it helps get the slide moving if she's struggling. Also to note that with lots of practice, so don't get frustrated, she can now rack the slide on guns she previously could not. Hope that helps your sister or wife or anyone else.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, tried all of that. Some folks just don't have the strength. I suggested she begin working on some hand strengthening exercises. 70 year old Marine....couldn't cycle my LCP, PPK/S .380 or .32 PP. I have no problems even with just two fingers but everyone is different. My neighbor couldn't cycle his new '94 IA PPK/s in .380 and gave it to me free. Said he didn't want it unless I could significantly reduce the cycling effort. That isn't possible. He could not cycle LCP or .32 pp either. If the pistol works out I expect it will be the #1 recommended semi auto at gun shops when a husband or wife walks in and says I am looking for an easy to operate semi auto for self defense. Ruger is probably already working on a copy. M1911

1 - 20 of 27 Posts