Walther Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

Registered
All sorts of chatter on the web about a new pistol caliber debut.. 30 Super Carry.

The claim is the same muzzle energy as a 9mm in a smaller size to allow for more rounds in the magazine.

Sure enough, there are already some prominent manufacturers marketing it. There's some info about the S&W Shield EZ coming chambered for it. 10 rounds vs 8 of the 9mm EZ.

It should be quite interesting to see how popular it becomes, and if 9mm becomes the new .40.. ;) I'm personally quite interested, and am looking forwards to trying it out.

If the loaded firearms are about the same weight the 30 Super 100 grain bullet load @1250FPS will generate about 20% less recoil than a 9M/M 124 grain bullet load @1150 FPS. That's the only benefit I see, but you're giving up availability, and cost. You can buy 9M/M Para virtually any place they sell ammo, the 30 Super probably not so much. I also doubt there will be ever be inexpensive white or brown box FMJ target loads for this cartridge.

Super Moderator
If the loaded firearms are about the same weight the 30 Super 100 grain bullet load @1250FPS will generate about 20% less recoil than a 9M/M 124 grain bullet load @1150 FPS. That's the only benefit I see, but you're giving up availability, and cost. You can buy 9M/M Para virtually any place they sell ammo, the 30 Super probably not so much. I also doubt there will be ever be inexpensive white or brown box FMJ target loads for this cartridge.
I think it's what you say coupled with the ability to stuff a few more rounds in the gun.

I don't think the new round is targeted toward you and me but at the 12 million new shooters out there.

Its targeted at petite females and the arthritic.
Toward the new shooter not already invested in guns, reloading equipment and a lifetime of opinions.

The odds are against any new handgun cartridge gaining traction but I have no issue with there being more choices in the marketplace .

Walther saw it and came out with the Pk380 and CCP. Smith saw it and came out with the EZ series.

I believe this round is targeted at the same demographic.

Registered
So the manufacturers/retailers/counter staff spend decades convincing new shooters that smaller/lighter is better.
Compact, Sub-Compact, Micro, Mini, Nano, Pico......each size reduction resulting in reduced capacity, more snap/recoil, reduced sight radius, reduced "point shooting" capabilities, less grip surface area, increased probability of needing to "milk the gun" (adjust hand position on presentation AND after each shot due to shifting of the firearm in grip).
The nasty dynamics most of these small guns have (especially in the hands of inexperienced shooters) leads to unenjoyable range sessions, and thus, LACK OF TRAINING.

Now, these same manufacturers/retailers come along with a new caliber to fix some of the problems going smaller has created. 馃檮

Color me unimpressed.
In a way, pushing those new to firearms toward "going smaller" usually reduces their ability to enjoy shooting firearms. Some have an undesirable range session or two, then just put it aside, to seldom or never carry it.

I know several people who "saw the light" after choosing a small handgun for their first firearm purchase. After shooting larger handguns many put the small handgun aside, and purchase a larger handgun that's more enjoyable to shoot.
I've converted several "small gun" owners by letting them see how accurate they are with slightly larger handguns. Several shooters have been amazed at their speed and accuracy (and significantly diminished recoil) after chewing the bullseye out of a target with my HK P7 M13, 92G Brigadier Tactical, PPQ45, P99, P5......
Small and light is good........for experienced shooters.

Basic human nature........If it ain't fun, people tend to NOT do it.馃

New shooters need to start on the large side of handguns, then go smaller from there.

Hey Federal, how about making some 7.65 Para (93gr/+1200fps out of a 3.5" P5, +1300fps out of 4.75" Luger).

Super Moderator
So the manufacturers/retailers/counter staff spend decades convincing new shooters that smaller/lighter is better.
Compact, Sub-Compact, Micro, Mini, Nano, Pico......each size reduction resulting in reduced capacity, more snap/recoil, reduced sight radius, reduced "point shooting" capabilities, less grip surface area, increased probability of needing to "milk the gun" (adjust hand position on presentation AND after each shot due to shifting of the firearm in grip).
The nasty dynamics most of these small guns have (especially in the hands of inexperienced shooters) leads to unenjoyable range sessions, and thus, LACK OF TRAINING.

Now, these same manufacturers/retailers come along with a new caliber to fix some of the problems going smaller has created. 馃檮

Color me unimpressed.
In a way, pushing those new to firearms toward "going smaller" usually reduces their ability to enjoy shooting firearms. Some have an undesirable range session or two, then just put it aside, to seldom or never carry it.

I know several people who "saw the light" after choosing a small handgun for their first firearm purchase. After shooting larger handguns many put the small handgun aside, and purchase a larger handgun that's more enjoyable to shoot.
I've converted several "small gun" owners by letting them see how accurate they are with slightly larger handguns. Several shooters have been amazed at their speed and accuracy (and significantly diminished recoil) after chewing the bullseye out of a target with my HK P7 M13, 92G Brigadier Tactical, PPQ45, P99, P5......
Small and light is good........for experienced shooters.

Basic human nature........If it ain't fun, people tend to NOT do it.馃

New shooters need to start on the large side of handguns, then go smaller from there.

Hey Federal, how about making some 7.65 Para (93gr/+1200fps out of a 3.5" P5, +1300fps out of 4.75" Luger).
Ok. A new female shooter goes to the gun store. She wants a gun she can put in her purse for self protection.

The salesman shows her a Shield EZ in 9mm and then a Shield EZ in 30 Carry.

The 30 Carry holds two more rounds, will be claimed to recoil less and be just as effective as standard 9mm.

Do you think some people like that might go for the 30 Carry?

There are 12 million new shooters in the US. Most are not and will never be the hobbyists and enthusiasts you or I are.

This round is geared toward them.

I agree with others that say the use case for the new round is skinny. I agree it's skinny but I think it's there.

Registered
When everything else is gone, you can still find 9mm and 7.62x39. When I finish my AR9 build, I'm going to be diving into an AR 7.62x39 build. 馃榿
One word of advice when you build your 7.62X39. Make sure your hammer spring is strong enough to reliably ignite hard primers. I built an AR in 7.62X39mm and the normal hammer spring wasn't strong enough to fire military surplus cartridge primers. Once I installed an extra power spring, it became 100% reliable.

Super Moderator
Now that's one I would be very interested in. Will it go bang, bang or Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang?:D
Forced or Automatic reset trigger = Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang. 馃槀

I'm liking the Graves.....it'll be a little pricey....but, I still stick to the old phrase 'you get what you pay for'.

Super Moderator
Since several other rounds and weapons have been mentioned I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the Sig 277 round and the rifle uilt for it? I reviewed a number of opinions and they express both doubts and kudos....3000fps or greater with 80,000psi!

NOW SHIPPING: MCX-SPEAR (sigsauer.com)
Was that gun/ammo combo selected by the Army for their next generation infantry rifle?

I know a competition was underway to select a next generation rifle/ammo but I lost track of where it's at.

The Army is notorious for almost adopting something new and then deciding to stick with the M4.

Registered
Was that gun/ammo combo selected by the Army for their next generation infantry rifle?

I know a competition was underway to select a next generation rifle/ammo but I lost track of where it's at.

The Army is notorious for almost adopting something new and then deciding to stick with the M4.
The reviews were from 2019/2020. You may e right re the military showing interest only to ack away. Still looking for a definitive answer.

Registered
The reviews were from 2019/2020. You may e right re the military showing interest only to ack away. Still looking for a definitive answer.
Just spoke with Sig rep and this rifle and ammo appear at this time to be "smoke and mirrors". I suspect the military has done nothing based upon his comments.

Super Moderator
Just spoke with Sig rep and this rifle and ammo appear at this time to be "smoke and mirrors". I suspect the military has done nothing ased upon his comments.
I appreciate you checking into this and getting back to us.

It's heck of a concept. Hopefully someday it is brought to market.

Registered
I appreciate you checking into this and getting back to us.

It's heck of a concept. Hopefully someday it is brought to market.
Update:
The Army is still evaluating with Sig, GD and Textron the three identified competitors. The Army refers to the round as a 6.8cal. The selection committee is supposed to receive test evaluation info later this year. Sig appears (to me) to be using the same marketing approach with the 277 Sig Fury round and their new rifle that they employed for the Sig P320. Get it out to the pulic and in use as a possile catalyst to encourage the Army to use it's submission. Here's some current news:

Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) - USAASC (army.mil)

SIG SAUER Announces Commercial Variant of Army Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW) MCX-SPEAR and 277 SIG FURY Ammunition - Soldier Systems Daily

Update:
2nd rep has advised they have actually made initial shipments to Master dealers such as BBass Pro Shop. Ammo to start shipping in next few weeks.

Registered
I think a lot of people are missing the point of this new cartridge. It is not meant to replace 9x19. It's meant to replace .380acp, and the snappy recoiling blow back pistols that chamber it, while offering terminal ballistics that far surpass the 380.

Viewed in this light I am interested in it. Also it's a 32, and I do like my 32s.

Super Moderator

Registered
This reminds me of Beta vs VHS. I'll stick with VHS (9mm) this go around too!

Reactions: GeMor
41 - 60 of 68 Posts