Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

Premium Member
I keep seeing a holster ad in places that says "if it isn't comfortable, you wont' carry it" and that is absolutely true.
It is true but I would expand on that by saying that "if it isn't comfortable, you're wearing the wrong holster and belt" because people are too cheap to buy good gear.

Super Moderator
It is true but I would expand on that by saying that "if it isn't comfortable, you're wearing the wrong holster and belt" because people are too cheap to buy good gear.
Ok. But not everyone lives or works in a situation where they can walk around open carrying a full size PDP with RDS.

For many people in many situations, discreet concealed carry is a must.

Super Moderator
Hit the nail on the head. Whether concealed carrying or open carrying.....ALL of these need to be considered and addressed: The right holster, ride height, cant, position carried on the belt AND a steel cored 'gun' belt.

When I was making my own holsters I worked and worked.....tested and tested....in the end, I wound up with about 40掳 of cant, carried at 2:30ish, inside the waistband, actually, inside the pants. This hybrid holster consisted of a leather backing and a kydex shell I pressed. I added some contour to the ends of the kydex (where the belt hangers would attach) to help form a curve to fit my 'curved' body, as I r round, not square. 馃槀 Also added a 1/8" piece of fabric lined neoprene on the back side of the leather....that's what contacted my skin. I could wear this all day long....comfortably. Now this will be hard to believe, but I could carry a PPQ with a Beretta 30 round mag.....you won't believe this either....CONCEALED. I only did that two or three times, just to prove that I could.

When Texas went to 'open carry', so did I. I now utilize Safariland holsters. But once again, I've spent many hours whackin', drillin' and tweaking the belt hangers to get the proper ride height and cant. In addition, I also use a plastic spacer under or between the top front belt hanger screw hole and the holster. This will rotate the pistol clockwise, pulling the butt of the gun closer to my body. I can wear one of these with a PPQ and 18 or 20 rounds, all day long....its comfortable and not in the way.

I can't think of any place or time I'd need to carry concealed, but if I need to conceal, I can do that to....using a zip up, hooded sweatshirt. Or if its warm...a 1 or 2 size larger t-shirt.

Bottom line is, find a holster and carry method/position that works for you.

Premium Member
Ok. But not everyone lives or works in a situation where they can walk around open carrying a full size PDP with RDS.

For many people in many situations, discreet concealed carry is a must.
I wasn't talking about open carry.

Discreet concealed carry shouldn't be uncomfortable. If it is then something is wrong and that is usually due to a cheap belt/holster combination.

Registered
I prefer pocket carry so cargo pants are best. I found cargo long leg pants with a zipper at knee height. I simply unzip for warm/hot temps and use full length for cooler temps.

Registered
While interesting, so is the .22 TCM, among others. I just don鈥檛 see cramming a couple more rounds into a CC handgun replacing 9mm. I also doubt that it can be cost competitive, which matters to some folks. YMMV

Reactions: gunbunny

Registered
If someone would offer a conversion barrel, I'd give it a try depending on how expensive it is. I'll have to give the components a look over for pricing: $21.86/100 @Palmetto State Armory. That's pretty much on par with 100 Hornady XTP's in .355 dia 90gr bullets. Primers are the same small pistol primers, no problem there. I haven't seen any load data for this caliber yet, but I'd assume with a good degree of confidence that a relatively fast burning pistol powder like Unique or Power Pistol would work with this round. That leaves the brass; this is where it could get expensive quickly. Especially when it's something new like this and isn't into full production swing as it's still just vaporware to us. We will have to wait 6 months to a year after release to see if it takes off or not.

While interesting, so is the .22 TCM, among others.
I agree 100%. I would love to see a .22 TCM conversion barrel for my PPS, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it either. I've been playing around with reloading the .22TCM 9R with a conversion barrel for a Glock 17 with mixed results. I do enjoy the muzzle blast and very low recoil, and was able to get pie plate groups at 50 yards with just my Weaver stance. I started reloading .22 TCM 9R because the components were super cheap and there were inexpensive conversion barrels for the Glock 17 and 19 all over Ebay.

Registered
I wasn't talking about open carry.

Discreet concealed carry shouldn't be uncomfortable. If it is then something is wrong and that is usually due to a cheap belt/holster combination.
The thing about concealing a full-size handgun is that you are limited with your wardrobe choices. If you have to wear business attire, you won't have any luck concealing a full-size handgun under a tailored shirt, and believe me--if you think you'll just wear a loose shirt with the lower part billowed to keep the pistol from printing, you'll look like a slob.

If it's hot out, and you want to wear shorts and a t-shirt, you also can't go with a full-size handgun all the time, either, because not everyone wants to wear a long, billowy shirt that makes you look like you just crawled out from bed after a rough night of drinking at someone else's house.

There really are times when pocket or IWB carry with a very small pistol are required. No fancy gear can make a gun invisible when the clothes don't work with it, and clothes do have to factor into the equation.

Premium Member
The thing about concealing a full-size handgun
I never said anything about concealing a full-sized handgun. I don't know where you guys got that from.

There really are times when pocket or IWB carry with a very small pistol are required.
I agree. I pocket carry sometimes myself and often carry a P938 or LCR IWB.

I don't care what, how or where a person carries. If it is uncomfortable then something is being done wrong and needs to be identified and corrected.

Registered
I agree. I pocket carry sometimes myself and often carry a P938 or LCR IWB.
I'm a big fan of my own P938. I spent a lot of years bouncing from various overseas locations and states where concealed carry wasn't an option, so it wasn't until 2016 that I finally lived somewhere I had a chance to get a permit. I'd wanted a Sig P230 ever since I saw advertisements for them back in the '80s, but when I looked at Sig's inventory, I discovered that it was no longer made. That was when I saw the P938. Later, I had a chance to handle one at a gun show, and I had to have one. I've put over 6000 rounds through it since I got it.

I got a P365 a few months ago, something I immediately wanted when it hit the market. It's a smidgen taller than the P938, but it still pocket carries almost as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I got a P365 a few months ago, something I immediately wanted when it hit the market. It's a smidgen taller than the P938, but it still pocket carries almost as well.
Finally caved and admitted the best little 9 for me is the 365. Had a Hellcat, 43Xs, and for whatever reason the 365 just fits the bill for carry, recoil, and sights. That said, I'd be interested in one chambered in the .30 SC if made the 365 even more pleasant to shoot with a couple extra rounds.

Registered
I suppose time will tell with the ".30 Super Carry" but I wouldn't bet on it taking hold here in the USA or Europe.

:cautious:

Registered
If you saved your cases, reload them when primers become available again. I've been reloading 30 Luger for some 55 years.
But if you're not a reloader, when the next ammo shortage comes watch out. I know people who couldn't find .380 for over a year recently. Also have friends who bought 5.7s and can't find ammo. I'll stick with 9mm for the foreseeable future.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts