Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All sorts of chatter on the web about a new pistol caliber debut.. 30 Super Carry.

The claim is the same muzzle energy as a 9mm in a smaller size to allow for more rounds in the magazine.

Sure enough, there are already some prominent manufacturers marketing it. There's some info about the S&W Shield EZ coming chambered for it. 10 rounds vs 8 of the 9mm EZ.

It should be quite interesting to see how popular it becomes, and if 9mm becomes the new .40.. ;) I'm personally quite interested, and am looking forwards to trying it out.

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
Browsing the S&W forum and there's all sorts of talk about a new pistol caliber: 30 Super Carry.

Sure enough, there are already some prominent manufacturers marketing it. There's some info about the S&W Shield EZ coming chambered for it.

It seems like a 380 with more punch to me, should be quite interesting to see how popular it becomes down the road.

It's more of a 32acp lengthened to 9mm overall length.

Federal is saying a 100gr JHP at 1250fps.

That is quite a bit more energy than .380acp. The thing is a .32 caliber bullet pushed to 9mm energy levels. Think .32H&R or maybe. 327Mag but designed for semiautomatic pistols.

Seems like what they are trying to do is cram more cartridges into a gun while maintaining 9mm terminal performance.

"Maybe" a bit less recoil than 9mm which would be nice as some of the new micro 9mms can be snappy.

Federal, Speer and Remington are making the ammo.

Interesting idea.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I believe that this new caliber won't stand a chance in Europe, here the 9mm Luger is far too established and far too widespread. Also, there is such a large, all-purpose supply of various 9mm Luger cartridges that only few potential buyers will see a need to purchase a new weapon in the new caliber, since it is much more difficult in Europe to buy a new handgun than in the USA. In addition, the hype for as many cartridges as possible in the magazine is much lower in Europe than in the USA.
In my opinion, this new caliber will fare just as much in Europe as the caliber .357 SIG. The new caliber will perhaps be praised at the very beginning like the caliber .357 SIG but buy weapons in the caliber .357 SIG only did a few, so that .357 SIG has meanwhile become an exotic item here.
By the way, it's the caliber .40 S&W fared similarly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the popularity will largely depend on availability, cost, and peoples willingness to change. For instance, on paper, the 327 federal magnum family is a much better choice for snub revolvers, but in reality 38 special rules the day due to availability and peoples’ familiarity with the cartridge

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
I think the popularity will largely depend on availability, cost, and peoples willingness to change. For instance, on paper, the 327 federal magnum family is a much better choice for snub revolvers, but in reality 38 special rules the day due to availability and peoples’ familiarity with the cartridge
327 Federal is a good analogy.

I think Federal and Smith are hoping to tap into those millions of new gun owners of the last few years.

There are also a bunch of us that are aging and might appreciate a easier handling but still effective self defense round.

Look at guns like the Shield EZ, CCP and PK380. These are guns designed to cater to those same demographics.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
We use Federal 147gr HST +P. Greater energy with .70 expansion which means less likely to pass through the body resulting in greater tissue damage. There is no doubt a well placed 30 super will kill.....personal choice.

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
I guess my main thought on this is that it is nice to see Smith&Wesson trying some new things.

In short order they've released a 10mm M&P, an aluminum framed SA gun and now partnered with Federal on a new cartridge.

In an industry awash with 9mm striker-fired handguns, it's nice see someone at least trying some different things.

Hopefully Walther has a trick or two up it's sleeves that we will see soon.

·
Registered
94 Posts

I think Federal and Smith are hoping to tap into those millions of new gun owners of the last few years.

There are also a bunch of us that are aging and might appreciate a easier handling but still effective self defense round.

Look at guns like the Shield EZ, CCP and PK380. These are guns designed to cater to those same demographics.
Also, since they now have a .32 cal HST bullet, how sweet would it be if they made an HST version of 32 H and R or 327 Fed?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
It would be great if an ammo manufacturer got around to producing some 7.65 x 21 (AKA; 30 Luger).

I purchased 3k rounds of Prvi Partisan in Nov 2020 @ .35 per round (SG Ammo, delivered to my door in under 48 hrs.). Watched the stuff go up to $2 per round in 2021. There has not been ANY available in the US for months.
I'm down to 700rds, leaving my 30 Luger guns home on range days. 😟

If an ammo manufacturer produced a BJHP or segmented frangible 30 Luger projectile, I would be interested in a modern defensive handgun chambered in 30 Luger.
Give me a choice between stepped cartridge feeding characteristics (it's ROCK solid), or an additional round or two in the mag of an EDC? I'll take the former every time.

Edit;
Bonus? 30 Luger feeds from 9mm mags.
This means EVERY 9mm handgun could shoot 30 Luger with nothing more then a spare barrel and spring swap.
But that wouldn't sell more handguns, would it.🤔

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Why carry a pistol with only 12 rounds when I can carry a PDP/PPQ with 18 or 20? 😂 😂 😂 Personally, I'm not interested in another caliber, as my 9mm/.40/.45 work just fine.

This is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. Firearm industry (ammo makers and firearm manufactures) need another revenue stream. I'm waiting for the telepathic (thought guided) ammo to hit the market. I just have to 'think' where I want the round to go and it'll go there......I'll have to concentrate and not let my mind wander, and that's sometimes kinda hard to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why carry a pistol with only 12 rounds when I can carry a PDP/PPQ with 18 or 20?
Because people are ultimately lazy…

Bigger guns means more weight on your belt. At a certain point of just lugging it around, people will question why. No reload happens early on. Then they leave it in the truck. After a certain point… start leaving it at home.

I used to have a Glock 30S… sold it because my then issued H&K P2000, and now my issued Glock 19 are identical in size. My 9mm Airweight… that thing goes everywhere with me. I do have a P938, but want to put more rounds thru it before I start carrying it regularly. And if I ever get to a point I don’t want to wear it, I have a LCP in a pocket holster.

If I can carry more (outdoors or something where I have a heavy jacket on), I have a Glock P80 (retro one, not Polymer80) and a shoulder rig. I would like to pick up a 34, and give me the ability to make it without a rail (using the P80 frame), but more for poops/giggles than anything else.

For the .30 Super Carry… I like the concept, but would want to see what kind of expansion you’d get out of it. I do have a soft spot for .32 ACP, but velocity keeps me from buying anything other than FMJ. Most complain about 9mm stopping power… I’m sure .30 will be in a much shallower boat. I know how big 147 grain bullets get, but nothing about what to expect with that round.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Regardless of the claims, this stuff falls well short of full load 9mm Para loads too.

I don't use 9Para for EDC or Home Defense often.......but when I do..........

This stuff generates over 475 ft/lbs muzzle energy out of a my WC 92G Brigadier Tactical. Massive expansion keeps penetration in check too.
Just needed to install a 20 lb recoil spring (WC Commander length) and WC buffer.
The recoil buffer absorbs the slide/frame impact, making it a sweet shooter (no 9mm snap).

If 30 Luger defense ammo was available, I would have Jarvis make me up a barrel, and swap a 14 lb recoil spring into the BT.

Reactions: imaoldfart

·
Registered
210 Posts
It would be great if an ammo manufacturer got around to producing some 7.65 x 21 (AKA; 30 Luger).

I purchased 3k rounds of Prvi Partisan in Nov 2020 @ .35 per round (SG Ammo, delivered to my door in under 48 hrs.). Watched the stuff go up to $2 per round in 2021. There has not been ANY available in the US for months. I'm down to 700rds, leaving my 30 Luger guns home on range days. 😟
If you saved your cases, reload them when primers become available again. I've been reloading 30 Luger for some 55 years.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
If you saved your cases, reload them when primers become available again. I've been reloading 30 Luger for some 55 years.
👍
I have over 2k rounds of that spent Prvi Partisan brass saved. Will be reloading when/if primers are ever available again.

If 30 Luger was plentiful, I would be all over Andrew Jarvis via email for P99 and 92G threaded barrels, a P88C barrel, a Baby Eagle barrel, a SIG P6 barrel............

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
219 Posts
Because people are ultimately lazy…

Bigger guns means more weight on your belt. At a certain point of just lugging it around, people will question why. No reload happens early on. Then they leave it in the truck. After a certain point… start leaving it at home.
This 100%. I keep seeing a holster ad in places that says "if it isn't comfortable, you wont' carry it" and that is absolutely true. There gets to be a point at which a gun is deemed "uncomfortable" enough to stop carrying it. Concealed carry is all about compromise anyway... balancing between comfort and actually having something big enough to be effective. That's why all these micro nines are so popular. They're small enough to be more comfortable, while having a big enough cartridge.

I don't know that this super 30 will do much to change that balance. I'll wait for multiple ballistics reviews to come out as well as see what the prices are for the cartridges themselves and the guns the shoot them. 9mm is ubiquitous enough that I don't see this new caliber being much more than a niche thing.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Agree with bbernard's analogy. Just got back from the range and the manager was saying the same thing by pointing out the numerous cartridges you can shoot with a .327FM revolver. Not sure I'd partake 30 Super Carry but it does sound interesting and it may find a niche, time will tell

1 - 20 of 61 Posts