Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just a couple questions...The first is probably silly, but I'm heading to a gun show soon to buy a P99 in 9mm. I'd like to know what I should look for to ensure a 'brand new' one? Should I worry much about this? While there may be good deals on used ones, this will be my first handgun and I'd like to make sure it's all new.

Second...I'll need a gun safe that can be secured near or under a bed and accessed quickly, yet keep small, inquisitive fingers from opening. I've seen the GunVault models and others with fingerprint scanners on them--does anyone have advice in this area?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Brand new is easy to find, color of the slide, barrel, and anything metal is the same. If the barrel is discolored near the open end then it's been used. Also check out the grooves just in case the seller knows that it's possible and easy to re-blue a gun. worn grooves are easy to notice vs new gooves.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Orion,
Disassembly of the pisol is very easy; on the frame there is a rectangular piece of polymer with grooves in it just ahead of the trigger. Pull down on this and the slide will click forward. Pull the slide forward and off the frame. I would look down into the nooks and crannies of the frame for any residue from firing. Its not easy to clean every area, so its a pretty good way to check.

Also, when you disassemble the pistol, remove the recoil spring and barrel. Look along the length of the barrel. While it may have some finish wear, it should not have very much.

Basic advice is to field strip the pistol and inspect the internals. Nothing should have really obvious wear and should be generally clean. Keep in mind that these pistols are test fired at the factory though, so some minimal finish wear can be expected.

About the safe;
I would personally stay away from fancy fingerprint scanners and things like that. Complicated things are inherently more likely to malfunction than simple ones, and as we all know they will malfunction at the worst time.
I have been looking at a small gunsafe myself. I believe that the best option is a digital keypad with a mechanical lock as a backup. One of the better options I've seen is made by S&W. The lighted keypad is a plus, and since it only has 4 keys you can have quick and easy access. Its a little expensive, but it has a lot of features that others I have seen do not;
S&W Handgun Safe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,

I am using the following one:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas....JS=true

Got it from Cabelas, like it a lot. Can be opened with your eyes shut, can be bolted to a floor or a wall, can be later taken with you to a car/boat/summer cabin etc. The mounting plate remains in your bedroom and when you get back you can attach the safe again. The only disadvantage is the lack of a key, all electronics. It provides an audio signal when batteries are low, so it shouldn't be a problem. I have a cheaper one, for 1 pistol. It turns out I can put two pistols, one is in holster, a box of ammo and some small valuables, and still have my loaded p99 by the lid, ready to be deployed and unobstructed. For $99.99 I like it.

Val

·
Registered
187 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Orion @ April 12 2004,12:57)]Hi everyone, just a couple questions...The first is probably silly, but I'm heading to a gun show soon to buy a P99 in 9mm. I'd like to know what I should look for to ensure a 'brand new' one? Should I worry much about this? While there may be good deals on used ones, this will be my first handgun and I'd like to make sure it's all new.

Second...I'll need a gun safe that can be secured near or under a bed and accessed quickly, yet keep small, inquisitive fingers from opening. I've seen the GunVault models and others with fingerprint scanners on them--does anyone have advice in this area?

Thanks for reading!
Hi Orion,
It's nice to see the P99 still attracting new buyers.
They don't seem to moving well anymore around here. Heard there will be a price reduction at my dealer.
For the small safe, I use one of the GunVault knockoffs that has the key pad combo plus key override. It works great; I just change batteries periodically to be sure. Sportsmans Guide had 'em for around $55-$60, and it will hold two full sized handguns, plus mags, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts