Walther Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
The gun itself has never been prone to slide bite. If you get bit it's user error. The only way to bleed is by putting your hand where the slide goes. It's REALLY easy to figure out where the slide goes and where to put your hand.
Well, we might have to agree to disagree on that. The fact you have to hold the thing differently than just about any modern gun out there could be an issue.

The modern technique is to get your grip on the gun as high as possible. Not really the thing to do with the PPK. There is a whole generation or two of shooters that know nothing else.

Do you want to keep the gun as a museum piece or evolve into something more suitable to the paradigm of today?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The gun has a pretty snappy recoil as compared to more modern locked breach designs. Your hand can start off in the right position but after a few quick rounds, you can easily move up on the grip and have the slide catch your hand.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Modern Technique is the wrong method to shoot a gun designed half a century earlier. Modern handguns are designed with modern shooting and carrying techniques in mind. The PPK was not. There's plenty of room for two hands on a 1911, but not on a PPK.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Modern Technique is the wrong method to shoot a gun designed half a century earlier. Modern handguns are designed with modern shooting and carrying techniques in mind. The PPK was not. There's plenty of room for two hands on a 1911, but not on a PPK.
Yep. So they won't sell well.

Evolve or become a museum piece.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The gun itself has never been prone to slide bite. If you get bit it's user error. The only way to bleed is by putting your hand where the slide goes. It's REALLY easy to figure out where the slide goes and where to put your hand.
That, IMO, pretty much sums it up. My hands aren't Hickok45 size but I wear Large size gloves and I have never experienced slide bite from any slide pistol old or new.
A wise old man told me something once that has helped me throughout my entire life. He said "Did it hurt when you did that?" I said yes. He said " Well then don't do that."

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I just bought a "black" Fort Smith PPK. So they are out there.

We will see how it goes. I'm just hoping it functions.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Yep. So they won't sell well.

Evolve or become a museum piece.
They are not selling well and because of the schozzola won't become museum pieces. It's a very good time to take the money you would spend on a new PPK and invest it in a PPK that will.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
They are not selling well and because of the schozzola won't become museum pieces. It's a very good time to take the money you would spend on a new PPK and invest it in a PPK that will.
Hello Jimbo. I am not looking at it as an investment.

I want to see how this thing shoots. I'll wring it out and see what it and I can do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
During my hunt for a new pistol, one of the purchasers at Kentucky Gun Company emailed me and said that Walther had raised the price for the 2020 models??

"Price would be 759.99. The prices on these have increased significantly for 2020. It may take less than 90 days but these are typically hard to come by."

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how folks continue to attempt to write off slide bite as user error rather than a design flaw.

If Walther actually invented the improvised, unnatural method of gripping the PPK(/S) that folks push as the "proper" way to grip it, and included it in the owners manual, then I could at least partially accept it, (although it would still be a poor excuse) but no, this supposedly proper method of gripping the PPK(/S) has never been instructed by Walther, fans merely invented it after the fact as a workaround to an obvious design flaw.

I have a hunch that if Walther were to redesign the extended beavertail, sculpting it to be more aesthetically pleasing, then fans would actually be willing to acknowledge slide bite as an unfortunate byproduct of a design flaw/oversight, but they'd sooner claim that anybody who has ever got slide bite from an older model PPK(/S) is an unsophisticated oaf who was holding it "improperly" by gripping it as they would pretty much any other pistol on the market without issue than acknowledge that the extended beavertail was added to address a legitimate issue.

Honestly guys, if 1911 fans can acknowledge that hammer bite was the result of an insufficient beavertail, yet still prefer the look of the classic lines of the Government Model 1911A1, then surely you can do the same.

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Just different perspectives Jimbo. There are two schools of though (at least) on any kind of technology.

One is, the technology is "perfect" and the problem is with the user.

The other is technology evolves to better work for the way users actually use it.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
We sold some PPKs this week (some to forum members) and now only have Black PPK/S and SS PPKs in stock. We have been pretty busy the last couple of weeks. There are some fantastic deals on the market thanks to the P365. Beretta 92FS at under $450 has been a very good seller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a reasonable price to pay for a new Black ppk? LGS has one in stock that caught my eye. I think it’s listed for $689. I was looking for another 1911 but the ppk would be a nice addition to my gun collection.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
A reasonable price would be under $600. If you bide your time they will be there before long. The 365 is going for under $500 now and is still the top seller in the CCW market. The Walther will have to go for much less than $700 to seriously compete outside of it's niche.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how folks continue to attempt to write off slide bite as user error rather than a design flaw.

If Walther actually invented the improvised, unnatural method of gripping the PPK(/S) that folks push as the "proper" way to grip it, and included it in the owners manual, then I could at least partially accept it, (although it would still be a poor excuse) but no, this supposedly proper method of gripping the PPK(/S) has never been instructed by Walther, fans merely invented it after the fact as a workaround to an obvious design flaw.

I have a hunch that if Walther were to redesign the extended beavertail, sculpting it to be more aesthetically pleasing, then fans would actually be willing to acknowledge slide bite as an unfortunate byproduct of a design flaw/oversight, but they'd sooner claim that anybody who has ever got slide bite from an older model PPK(/S) is an unsophisticated oaf who was holding it "improperly" by gripping it as they would pretty much any other pistol on the market without issue than acknowledge that the extended beavertail was added to address a legitimate issue.

Honestly guys, if 1911 fans can acknowledge that hammer bite was the result of an insufficient beavertail, yet still prefer the look of the classic lines of the Government Model 1911A1, then surely you can do the same.
How true about design characteristics.
Fortunately for me I have not experienced slide bite, yet can see why others do.

The classic example of stubborn design that really should have been done is the Browning High Power (RIP). The long trigger thumb piece digs into almost everyone. Even the ring hammer pinches many.

I never bought one because in large part it would need custom hammer contour and at the staring price just was not worth it

The Browning factory hammer could have been shortened just by holding it cocked then project a line extended from the small beaver tail.
Likely the designers wanted the user to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber then thumb cock it.

So the ppk ppk/s could have had a small beaver tail flared by Walther years ago.

The S&W style was to much though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
PPs aren't the only pistols with slide bite. SIG's P230/232, a mid-1980s design, suffers from the same issue for the same design reasons. I'm sure there are several others.

And Jimmo952 is correct in that the standard (in the 24 years I've been shooting and instructing) "high on the backstrap" shooting technique only exacerbates bite potential.

I was told by Walther that the reason for the significant PP-series price increase is their steel cost has unexpectedly gone up.

I agree that the newly-priced PPK will have a hard time selling to anyone except buyers who just don't have one yet. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts