Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm still waiting to find a good price on a stainless ppk/s. I don't know if Walther is only building one gun a day or what.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's what I don't understand. If they're manufacturing a couple dozen a day, someone should be stocking these guns. On the other hand, the P365 is arguably the most popular handgun around right now and I have been in 3 shops this week that all had one.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
I've been seeing them frequently on the Treasure Coast of Florida. I'm not in the market to buy because of the beaver tail but they are out and about on my side of the coast too...
So Walther has both sides of Florida covered.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I assume a Cassio is a cheap knockoff of an original Casio, which is a cheap watch to begin with.
You should assume I misspelled it. I don't spell well in my native tongue nor in English. Not my forte.

Welcome to the forum.

Great to have a human spell check onboard.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There sure hasn't been much demand here in Florida. The PPK and PPK/S have been sloooow movers. On the other hand the P365 has been flying off the shelves.
If I may respectfully offer my opinion; to me, I think a reason for that is two different mindsets and price points for people who purchase either one. Not slurring the Sig but it is no PPK or PPK/S. PPK/S is all steel, double action, exposed hammer, firing pin fired, thumb safety that de-cocks, proven design for decades, a round or two short of the Sig but gun fights don't usually last that many rounds anyway. Both are 9mm in caliber just one is a "short", same width, same height, Sig is 0.3" shorter overall but that's negligible, Sig is a tick over an ounce lighter that the PPK/S (empty. extra rounds prolly make them closer) but that's not a lot, etc. IMO, I think the PPK/S probably appeals to an older school crowd (like me) who already has several pistols including a PPK/S. The Sig is the new, "something shiny" (figuratively speaking, of course), striker fired concealed carry pistol kid on the block. I have heard there were a few issues with it but I don't have one so I can't say from experience. Sig makes a top-shelf product. The brand new PPK/S seem to run a couple hundred dollars more than the Sig so I imagine that has something to do with it as well. The PPK/S served me well for EDC for decades. I had to struggle to let go of the hammer, double action, thumb safety setup to get in to the striker fired design which is absent most of those features because the PPK/S and its design as mentioned was what I grew up with and was used to. Older folks still buy pistols but probably not at the rate a newer enthusiast does who is just starting to amass his/her collection. That's another issue - females and there buying preferences. Females are buying pistols these days whereas when I was growing up, not so much. The Sig would probably be an easier sell to an novice or female. Rack and fire or rack, put in holster, and when needed, draw - aim - pull trigger to fire. Just my opinion. I am biased, though. If someone makes a better weapon then right on and I will admit it. I just don't see it in Sig over the Walther anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Here's the promised photo of the full set of Ft. Smith offerings which are still in stock.

It is not surprising they are not selling well. Not many guns are. We have NIB FN 509s and Beretta 92s up the kazoo for under $400. Shields are selling when they get close to $200 and sitting at $279. Walther couldn't have picked a worse time to release the long delayed PPK/PPKS especially at a $700+ price point.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
That photo really highlights the Gawdawful schnozz Walter put on the back of those pistols. It just ruins it aesthetically and has negative practical implications too. If I had one, I couldn’t wait to whittle it awaw, as some have done on some of the earlier guns similarly afflicted.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
That photo really highlights the Gawdawful schnozz Walter put on the back of those pistols. It just ruins it aesthetically and has negative practical implications too. If I had one, I couldn’t wait to whittle it awaw, as some have done on some of the earlier guns similarly afflicted.
I agree with you. I'm less the PPK purist than many but those pictures look horrible to me. They highlight the schnoz's out sized proportions.

In the continuum of performance vs looks, I'm more on the performance side but geez, that does look "ungainly".

Seems like with a little more effort Walther could have done better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That really is a big ol' schnoz on the back, isn't it. That beaver tail came from a smasquanch beaver.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Never understood why S&W didn't curve the tang into a more graceful side profile but also into a more rounded cross-sectional curvature on the grip frame (when viewed from above or below) so it more naturally fits the hand. Or why Fort Smith stupidly copied it without any improvement.

M

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I'm guessing internet pictures of bloody hands and lawyers have something to do with it.
Once again, I'm not the PPK purist or longtime aficionado some on this forum are. But....Walther could have achieved what they wanted to...which is a gun less prone to slide bite....in a more graceful and aesthetically pleasing way.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Yeah I don't get it. Neither my PPK/S .380, my Kimber Micro 9 nor Glock 43 have such an unsightly beaver tail and somehow I don't get bit by the slide.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The gun itself has never been prone to slide bite. If you get bit it's user error. The only way to bleed is by putting your hand where the slide goes. It's REALLY easy to figure out where the slide goes and where to put your hand.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts