Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has seen a new black PPK in the wild? I've searched all over my area and my usual online retailers and can't find one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll see them online every once in awhile, but they're out of stock very quickly. I'm not sure why the black isn't as widely available as the stainless, but I find it helpful to search using the manufacturer's item number "4796002 PPK" to help weed out all of the results for the PPK/S.

I've been waiting for the black PPK, and I hope I start seeing them under $600 soon like some of the stainless models I've come across.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I messaged Walther on Facebook and asked about availability and this is what they said...

"Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The Black PPK has been shipping for around 5 months. Your local gun shop should definitely be able to order one from their distributor.

It has been a struggle to get the PPK and PPK/s to market. I'm really sorry for all the frustration. We've been maxing out our efforts to up production to meet demand. There were a TON of backorders that needed to be filled on them. Thanks a ton for your patience. (We can't even buy one as an employee until production is completely caught up.) You'll have yours before I get one! Ha ha ha!"

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
The only ones that I've seen so far have been stainless.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
We've been maxing out our efforts to up production to meet demand.
There sure hasn't been much demand here in Florida. The PPK and PPK/S have been sloooow movers. On the other hand the P365 has been flying off the shelves.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
We get $629 for these in the store. They all cost the same so don't pay the PPK over PPK/S premium that you'll see in real Ulm guns.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
We get $629 for these in the store. They all cost the same so don't pay the PPK over PPK/S premium that you'll see in real Ulm guns.

That is a very interesting picture! All 4 variants next to each other.

Any chance I could convince you to take some more like that and post them? Maybe with them out of the case and more angles?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
As the "Walther Guy" at work I can probably manage a pic or two of them out of the case. I go back to work Thursday and will see what I can do.

BTW when I post about things at work there is a reason I NEVER mention my employer by name on any public forum. ALL of my opinions expressed on public forums are mine and mine alone. My employer however does have some pretty excellent deals (P99C 40 for $299) and I am happy to provide info via PM.

·
Registered
964 Posts
That was Louisiana ,the voodoo etc that is deepwater Louisiana ala NOLA ,there are no other states in the U.S. that have parishes instead of counties . Ayb

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Back in the 1980s an engineer at Interarms asked Ranger to produce a sample PPK/s in dull black, simply sandblasted after machining. His idea was that by eliminating the polishing, there would be a substantial saving in manufacturing cost.

When it arrived the sample was received with all the enthusiasm of a skunk at a picnic. The consensus was that people bought a classic Walther for its superior fit and finish. Without that jewel-like quality, it was just another gun. The idea sank without a trace for 30 years.

True story.

M

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Back in the 1980s an engineer at Interarms asked Ranger to produce a sample PPK/s in dullblack, simply sandblasted after machining. His idea was that by eliminating the polishing, there would be a substantial saving in manufacturing cost.

When it arrived the sample was received with all the enthusiasm of a skunk at a picnic. The consensus was that people bought a classic Walther for its superior fit and finish. Without that jewel-like quality, it was just another gun. The idea sank without a trace for 30 years.

True story.

M
I don't doubt the story. A really nice PPK is a piece of jewelry that just happens to be a firearm. A testament to the people who built it.

It's a like a really nice Swiss watch which is truly a work of art but is less accurate than a Cassio.

Take away the fit and finish and you have a pretty expensive, not that great looking watch that is still more expensive than that Cassio.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
... remember some Fender or Gibson 'relic'...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts