Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just purchased about two weeks ago a walther p99 non qa, which by the way my dealer told me that walther is no longer making the as but now is only making the qa;that the last batch was sent out a week ago. Well onto the point.

I am pretty new to weapons but know enough to shoot and be safe. This is why I am writing. I originally wanted a .40 but then switched to a 9mm and I am stuck. The guy received brand new never opened .40's and the new 9mms come in next week, but I don't know what to choose?

I am afriad that i won't be able to control the recoil on the .40, but I have never shot a .40 needless to say a p99 .40. So I really don't have any choice but to go with what you guys have to offer since all of you own p99.

Can someone tell me if I should go with the .40 or the 9mm?

I want to use it for self defense but also to go practice. So i know the difference in price of the calibers. Thank you

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone please give me a reply I am some what short on time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikep99 @ June 25 2005,09:30)]Can someone please give me a reply I am some what short on time.
Well, I prefer 9mm because it is less expensive and because I do not beleive that there is a noticable degredation in stopping power from 40 S&W. I carry Wincheser 127gr +P+ in my Walther P99 and in my Kahr PM-9 I will have Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P if it ever gets off of back order. Both are fine rounds and one is used by New York Police and the other Orlando Police if my memory serves me.

Practice could always overcome any increased recoil if that is all you are worried about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You see I think my problem here is patience. I originally ordered the .40 until I realized that it was going to be more expensive to shoot and the recoil would be more than the 9mm. Then I changed my order to a 9mm...but the .40 cam in first and I almost took it yesterday. Now today I was going to pass by, but I think I am just going to take it becuase I can't wait for the 9mm, which would get here next week. I am new to shooting, like I said before, so I don't know if I should relax and wait for the 9mm to come in.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Recoil in 40 is not all that bad.
Yes it is a bit more expensive to shoot, but Wal-Mart has Winchester 100 round boxes at under $20.00

If you really want the 40, go ahead and get it. Then later get a 9mm if you prefer it.
I think in the long run the AS trigger will retain it's value as they become more scarce.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[b said:
Quote[/b] (madecov @ June 25 2005,10:25)]Recoil in 40 is not all that bad.
Yes it is a bit more expensive to shoot, but Wal-Mart has Winchester 100 round boxes at under $20.00

If you really want the 40, go ahead and get it. Then later get a 9mm if you prefer it.
I think in the long run the AS trigger will retain it's value as they become more scarce.
Was the p99 made to be a 9mm and then a .40 or vice versa?

I am so in between. I know that if I get the 9mm I would contemplate "####! i wish I had more fire power" but I am worried that if I get the .40 I will say" #### I can't control this thing and I wish I had the 9mm to control the thing"

·
Registered
539 Posts
Since the P99 is a European gun you can safely assume it was first designed to be a high cap 9mm gun but they kept .40 and even .45 in the backs of their minds as that would be needed to sell in the US.

Don't worry about the .40 recoil. It's fine if you're fit. If you have carpal tunnel or some other wrist/arm affliction I'd say stay away from all but the heaviest 9mm like a full size 1911.

Anyway, I shoot the .40 left handed and right handed and it's easy to control. I buy Winchester white box $17/100 at Walmart. Hollow Points can be had for a bit more online. 9mm is cheaper but unless you're really strapped for cash it's not worth worrying about. I got the .40 because I can only have 10 rounds in the mag so I figured I might as well get the bigger ammo.

Oh, I recommend you don't buy a P99 for its resale value. It's a very utilitarian gun. Get it because it fits your hand, shoots great and is generally reliable once you find out which ammo it likes. It's a battle gun, not a show gun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys I took the .40. I hope that I don't have any problems with it. I wish i had a digital camera to take the pictures.

The guy said that he would go to the shooting range with me to train me if I needed any help because it is a .40.

I can't wait until I go to the shooting range.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I think you made the right choice.  The recoil in the .40 isn't all that bad really.  The more you shoot it, the more controllable it becomes.  I think I shoot better every time I go to the range, it's like total quality management, continuous improvement!

My friend just got the 9mm version, and after shooting it, I can say I think it's a bit smoother.  The .40 is naturally more snappy, but not at all uncontrollable.  Luckily, you can buy aftermarket 9mm barrels for your .40 if you wanna expand your horizons.  You'll also need a 9mm magazine, and you've got two guns in one!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your .40.  You've got great stopping power without going to extremely hot 9mm ammo.  I buy winchester white box from walmart for 15.97 a box, plus tax, and the gun is not at all expensive to shoot and become proficient with.  Congrats!

-stunks

P.S. please give us a range report after your first trip to the range. We'd all love to hear what you think of your new baby

·
Registered
328 Posts
Enjoy your 40.
As far as I know the ONLY european handgun that was designed as a 40 before the 9mm is the Steyr. It's a shame but Steyr has some issues maintaining service and distribution here in the USA.

Some here have said the Walther has a fully supported chamber. I have not heard of any real issues with the 40 walther versus other 40's having issues.

I love my Walther and once the department allows me to qualify it will be my primary duty weapon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the great comments.

stunk you mentioned that you can convert your .40 to a 9mm? I thought this was possible until the guy at the gun shop said that the whole entire gun is different from the 9mm and therefore just chaning the barrel won't work.

Is it true then? To switch back and forth all I need to do is change the magazines and the barrel and wholla?

·
Registered
72 Posts
mikep99,

You need to change the whole slide if you want to use Walther parts.

If you are willing to go aftermarket all you need is a barrel from Barsto and possibly a magazine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you mean if I want to go walther. So if I want to go from a .40 to a 9mm the Walther way it is going to cost more money and more parts?

I would assume that a 9mm barrel would slide right in and work right? Or am I wrong

Either way I never knew you could convert your .40 to a 9mm since I am pretty new to guns in that sense and I took the gun shop owners knowledge.

Aftermarket is just changing the barrel and the magazine? Has anyone here tried that? and is this smart or does it damage the gun?

·
Registered
821 Posts
The locking lugs on the 9mm walther barrel are different than the .40. To accomodate for this, the slide is shaped differently in the lockup area. Also, the 9mm slide is less massive to allow proper cycling.

You can buy a top-notch BarSto barrel in 9mm that will work in your .40 slide. Then, all you need are some 9mm magazines as the frame and trigger mechanism are all the same! The aftermarket solution shouldn't damage your gun, but the barrel will have to be fitted, and also using aftermarket parts will "void" your warranty.

-stunks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But this is not a procedure that can go back and forth right?

meaning I can't switch from .40 to 9 back to .40

I think I will just stay with my .40

·
Registered
821 Posts
It sure can!!! The barrel fitting actually sizes the new barrel to your particular gun to ensure a tight lockup for safety and accuracy.

Afterwards, if you wannt shoot .40, then you pull out the 9mm barrel, drop in your original .40, then use your .40 magazines.

It really is that simple!!! How cool is that???

-stunks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is pretty cool.

So then how does this void your warranty if all you need to do is fit in the 9mm? Wait a minute, what exactly do you guys mean by "fitting in"? does that mean some sort of alteration needs to be done to the gun that is noticeble, therefore making it void its warranty? or is it just dropping in the 9mm barrel and thats it?

also when i went to the website, there are two types of barrels which one would i get the semi drop in or the match fit?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Most manufacturers will say that the use of aftermarket parts in their product will void one's warranty. I guess the reasoning is that the manufactuerer can no longer be held 100% accountable if something were to go wrong with your aftermarket barrell. In all honesty, though, don't you think it would be hard to tell that you'd been using an aftermarket barrel???

As for the second question: Semi drop-in barrels will fit most guns with little or no fitting to the slide at all. Match barrels always have to be fitted to attain the tightest lockup for accuracy. As to which one to buy, if you're a target shooter, go for the match, if not the semi might suit you just fine...

-stunks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts