Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just retired and have a big back yard. Decided to get back into air guns. Have a Beeman R1, and a Webley Hurricane I bought years ago but got into 22 cal. pistols, deer hunting, and they got left behind. Decided to start selling some cartridge pistols and start collecting vintage springers. Just picked up a Walther LP53 made in 1955. It wasn't cheap but when it came it was just like a time capsule, in box with everything but the manual. One vintage RWS pellet tin all in German half used. I really doubt if it had more than that half tin through it. Just as mint as you could hope for. Did a six shoot chrony today. Here it is:

405 fps
405 fps

That is just nuts for a springer? Was putting pellets inside of pellet holes. What a wonderful pistol.

Two pictures in a slideshow:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
lovely looking.... the wood knob is often missing.. or the extra sight blades

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Guess that worked here it is boxed. I'll spend the rest of my life looking for the instruction book! Lol. Love the early smooth finish and it does have the adjustable trigger, I believe.

Curious if those consistant chrony readings are typical?

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is a killer example of a first series LP53 with the smooth metal receiver, second series 53's had a crinkle finish and on the third and last model 53 the rear ducktail was changed.

Here is a link to an printable original Walther LP53 brochure.
The Vintage Airgun Gallery:

"Love them Walthers"
Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Power of the Internet: complete with instructions! Interesting that the instructions recommend RWS Diabolo pellets for best performance, these were the pellets that came with my purchase, in what appears to be a period 1950s tin all in German.

Special thanks to Tom for the site to print the manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am getting 405 fps with a 7.5 grain pellet. From what I read that's the very high end of what this pistol can do? My Webley Hurricane was just in the mid 400's and the LP53 has only the pistol grip for the piston? Just totally surprised me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for info

I am getting 405 fps with a 7.5 grain pellet. From what I read that's the very high end of what this pistol can do? My Webley Hurricane was just in the mid 400's and the LP53 has only the pistol grip for the piston? Just totally surprised me.
Very old post but for future collectors, the 53 can be much more powerful than the Webley Hurricane/Tempest and can exceed 500 fps..
Its pistol grip for the internals belies the fact that its perfectly set up in terms of what you can do but the Webley pistols with 90 degree transfer port are very inefficient in comparison...
The 53 has a 23 mm dia piston which is even bigger than the HW45 and approx what air rifles are now being sleeved to..
Transfer port is directly straight and quite short at 9mm..
Tuned with one mainspring and a Delrin guide/ Top hat/ Poly seal it can run upto 520 fps with 7.5 grain pellets...trouncing most springers..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts