Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my new P99 QA out to the range to put its first rounds down range, and was quite happy with the first 15 rounds! The Factory Remington 165 gr MC (break in ammo) fed just fine and gave a nice snappy little recoil. It was printing low and left, so I figured I should adjust the rear sight. I put screwdriver to screw, and the rear sight slid right off the pistol! A little spring popped out with a small black cylinder. The top of the black cylinder appears rough. I can't find a good enough picture of the part to be sure I'm not missing a broken bit (our range is gravel, its very possible I missed it).

I sent an email to Walther America, and I suspect I'll have a replacement soon, but I'm now real worried that the sight will stay on! The part appears to be plastic and having the rear sight fall off at the wrong time is simply not going to work for me.

Has anyone else had this happen? The after market sights I've found don't seem to be adjustable, but a few do seem to ignore this plunger.

The P22 I picked up at the same time was a dream tho; it printed nice tight groups for both my wife and myself. It looks like I may have trouble getting a chance to shoot it and may have to buy her one of her own!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I never had my sights come off......
are you sure you didn't hit the tap that lets you remove the sight while putting the screwdriver on the adjustment screw ??

S&W will square you away (if the parts are available) I am sure... they are good at that
as to the replacement sights..... they come with all you need and are adjustable just like the regular sights. The only ones that are not, are Walther steel sights that are marked "fixed" and instead of the asjustment screw have a roll pin to hold the sights in place

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty certain I didn't depress the plunger; but I also couldn't find a plunger before firing even after I watched the videos here on the site (fantastic btw!), and the part of the plunger you would depress seems to be what is missing.

I'm hoping its just a freak broken part; I've had several Walthers now and I've never had trouble with them before. I'm itching to go put more rounds down range tho!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The plunger is notched so as to engage the rear sight adjustment screw. Once or twice when changing rear sights, I failed to make sure that the rear sight was properly secured. The notch in the plunger was not aligned so as to allow the plunger to "pop-up" and engage the rear sight adjustment screw...

The plunger and spring popped out...

So you must make sure that the plunger engages the screw. If you never messed with the sights, then perhaps someone from the factory failed to make sure the rear sight was properly affixed. This would have allowed for the plunger to pop out when you went to adjust the screw.

When get your new spring and plunger just make sure the notch in the plunger lines up to engage the rear sight adjustmen screw. Then you will be good to go...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

I called Walther America today, and I must say that was the best dang customer service I think I've had from any product at all in decades. My wait time was under 1 min to talk to a rep, and I think the total call took about 5 min.

No jerking me around, no marketing survey garbage, just "Sorry that's not working, let me send you a new one."

IMHO, that sort of thing is all too rare these days.

And to think, I've owned a Walther for over 25 years; and this is the first time I've ever needed to talk to them.

First rate guys, keep that sort of thing up!

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I have dropped P99s a few times - and while a drop can damage the edges of the rear sight - I have NEVER had one pop off even with an impact.

Now, if the plunger isn't set just right on the right, it won't hold it in place correctly. When putting on new sightes, I have discovered this. So, either you accidentally hit the plunger afterall, or the sight wasn't put on right to begind with.

Once done right
, I wouldn't worry about that rear sight coming off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I called today to find out where the part was; and they had no record of my part being shipped at all. Round 2, it "Should ship sometime next week".

-1,000 points.

I've also had a chance to inspect a new walther, and the part was defective; the plunger itself was broken in two, with the upper part of it missing entirely.

So now I'm looking at a minimum of 3 weeks before I can fire a new, out of the box pistol.

I'm not real amused.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This has happened to me once before while adjusting my rear sight, i didnt lock the plunger properly after adjusting. I love my walther but the sights on the P99 are a week link, exspecially the plastic sights that i swapped out for meps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wahoo! Got the part in the mail yesterday.

2 weeks seems a bit long to get a part, but I think there was a glitch on the first order.

The plunger was certainly not correct out of the box, but the replacement took perhaps 15 seconds to install.

I headed out to the range and put 150 rounds down range quite happily (except for my shooting, which needs some practice). More on that later...

But! During shooting I decided to swap out the front sight for a shorter one, and the screw was missing out of the front sight. I have a feeling that my original problem has nothing to do with Walther, and a lot more to do with my "New in box" pistol having been toyed with before I got it.

Interestingly, the front sight stayed put the entire time, even without a screw to hold it in. I'll order a new one, but I'm planning on continuing to shoot it in the mean time. The fact a recent p22 purchase means I have a pile of extra front sights helps that call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts