Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you that didn't get to go to the Show Show, and thanks to Ken Lunde who picked up some brochures for me, here are the new 2004 P99 Models for you to drool over (or spit at depending on your opinion
)

My Walther Page

Regards,
James

·
Registered
28 Posts
You have an awesome page. Many things to drool over there.

Maybe its in the brochures, maybe someone mentioned it, but I must have missed it. Any idea how much one of those compacts is going to cost and when it'll be available?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thanks James,

I'm still waiting on my friend to give me a catalog that he picked up for me at the SHOT show.

I wonder if my P99 QA Military's will be worth anything now that they've finally come out with them? Mine have the old style frame and a sequentially serial numbered.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P88 Pondered:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I wonder if my P99 QA Military's will be worth anything now that they've finally come out with them? Mine have the old style frame and a sequentially serial numbered.
As the famous Rainman said:
"Definitely, definitely"

James

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You know, I haven't seen one in person yet, but from the pictures, I like the new frame. The slide is a little funny looking to me though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
James,

The new-style P99 frame has an accessory rail that looks like it will fit the lights/lasers such as the ITI M3 or M6 families, but it will not. It will fit the ITI M5 light. What's the difference? The position of the locking bar groove/notch in relation to the front of the trigger guard, specifically that the distance for the M5-style rail is 1/4 inches less. If you look at the trigger guard and the location of the forward locking bar groove/notch, there is little room to work with. The groove/notch is as far forward as it can safely go.

The P99 Compact's accessory rail is much, much shorter, and is designed to accommodate the tiny ITI XML light.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The photos may be deceiving, but the new models do not appear to be an improvement.  Walther is mistaken if it believes these changes will make the P-99 more attractive to the American market.  Besides being a superior pistol, the look of the P-99 was elegant and distinctive.  Now it looks like everyone else's gun.  

"My Daddy was in maintenance and he always said if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Gary Busey in Soldier.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Kearsage, I agree with what you said and share the same view. Then, one may argue this is all personal preference .... For me, the Hk P2000sk frame sure looks better; depends on how much it costs, I might consider switching.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The P2000 right now costs $180 WHOLESALE more than a P99. I'm not convinced it is worth it. There is no reason to believe that the P2000K will be any less than the P2000, so it should be $180 wholesale than the P99 Compact.

The P99 Compact will probably be available at least 6 months before then P2000K, according to reports from the Show Show.

P2000K street price will probably be around $725-$750.
P99 Compact street price will probably be around $550-600.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thank you James and Dr. Lunde for the pics.

I'm firmly in the "spit at" camp. I dislike the new changes.....if I wanted an SW99 I would have bought one. In my opinion, bad move Walther.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like it. It looks more functional and under-stated versus the space-agey look of the previous ones. Picatinny rail is better. More grasping surface on the slide is superior. I would have prefered the ambidextrous slide release designed for the german pistol trials.

Still, I'm not sure it's so much better that I'm going to have to ditch all of my current holsters to fit a new pistol contour.

Tim

·
Registered
144 Posts
James, thank you for the info. I think it will be around fall when these compact models become available, both P99c and P2000sk are expected to be expensive. I would like to handle them before come to any conclusion. Suddenly the Steyr S9 came to mind, I know it is comparing apples with oranges, but this striker-fire compact only costs half what Walther or Hk asks for.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm sorry to see that Walther has decided to continue printing the homely (IMO) inscription "TITANIUM COATED" on their silver-colored slides. This is a real "turn-off" for me.  

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Catbird @ Feb. 23 2004,8:46)]I'm sorry to see that Walther has decided to continue printing the homely (IMO) inscription "TITANIUM COATED" on their silver-colored slides. This is a real "turn-off" for me.  
It's tacky- It reminds me of the supermarket where products have various attributes in quotation marks on their labels-

"New" "Better" "Now Easier to Swallow"

Can you imagine the bad guy asking, "Whoa, man- Is that one of the new Titanium Coated pistols? How are they?"

Maybe if we're lucky, the Walther Marketing gurus will add the word "Military" to the P99's with olive drab frames. -We all like guns, but if it says "Military" on it, it must be even more accurate.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I got to thumb through a new Walther catalog today and found it interesting that the QA and DAO model P99's have the option to have ambidextrious slide release leavers, similar to the German Trials gun.

The more I look at these P99's, the more they are starting to grow on me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'll probably grab an "AS" model along with a ITI M5 light for nightstand use, but keep my current P99 as my CCW pistol.
Cost too much to change out all my carry and range holsters.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know, it would be cheaper to get a Tactical Light for your P99 as it is, the Insight makes a nice P99 Nightstand pistol companion

http://www.wholebrainarts.com/Firearms/Walthers.htm

Still have one left if you are interested. Would do $150 shipped

James

·
Registered
411 Posts
That would take away my excuse for buying a new pistol.

email me about the light.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts