Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I dont get out alot but today I saw two cops in a row carying Walther P99's. Never seen that! I got excited. Do the cops on the forum here cary P99's??

·
Banned
154 Posts
Maybe I dont get out alot but today I saw two cops in a row carying Walther P99's. Never seen that! I got excited. Do the cops on the forum here cary P99's??
Nice catch!

So much BS and politics go into pistol selection I dont put alot of stock into what they carry, unless its a department that lets them carry anything they want.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Okay so don't leave us hanging, unless there is a security breech or something...where and what department was this?

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Nice catch!

So much BS and politics go into pistol selection I dont put alot of stock into what they carry, unless its a department that lets them carry anything they want.
Very true!! But also don't forget $$$. It's not unusual for certain elected officials to get monetary kickbacks for choosing a certain firearm as "authorized for duty use". When I was on the job we had a choice of S&W, Glock, SIG, or Beretta. At one time or other I carried 3 of the 4 makes (never a SIG). After I retired they narrowed it down to just Glock. We also had a wide variety of ammo to pick from as long as it was hollowpoint. NO FMJ!!! When I hung up my gear I was carrying a S&W 4566. Loved that gun for being accurate and comfortable to fire. Ammo was Golden Saber.

In the town I live in (Silver City, NM) the LEOs are carrying a 1911A1 cocked and locked. That realy surprised me. Most agencies are reluctant to authorize that gun for use. Too many instances of accidental/unintentional discharge. They must train on it an awful lot to authorize it's use. :eek:

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm authorized to carry a P99 on duty.

·
Banned
154 Posts

In the town I live in (Silver City, NM) the LEOs are carrying a 1911A1 cocked and locked. That realy surprised me. Most agencies are reluctant to authorize that gun for use. Too many instances of accidental/unintentional discharge. They must train on it an awful lot to authorize it's use. :eek:

Dep
Interesting. I had always read that DA/SA had the most # AD's due to the fact that there are 2 modes present and the owner assumes its in the safe(ie DA) mode. Also it was my impression that SA was considered unsafe because it looked unsafe when it was in fact safer.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Interesting. I had always read that DA/SA had the most # AD's due to the fact that there are 2 modes present and the owner assumes its in the safe(ie DA) mode. Also it was my impression that SA was considered unsafe because it looked unsafe when it was in fact safer.
Cocked and locked is the safest way to carry in my opiniion. Yes, it's a perception thing usually with big city police departments with chiefs who are afraid of their liberal mayor. Of course since they were chosen by the mayor, they just might have a liberal anti-gun bent themselves.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Actually, there are 3 modes of carry for the SA. #1 a round in the chamber hammer down, #2 a round in the chamber with the safety on, and #3 no round in the chamber and hammer down. When Chicago police finally gave the okay for semi-autos, they restricted them to DAO. So in effect they were just revolvers with semi-auto round capacity. The SA 1911A1 was unsafe mainly when it is dropped. This is especially true of the 1911A1 without the Series 80 firing pin. All of this safety stuff is dependant on training more than anything else. It's the person carrying the gun that has to practice safe handling. No gun ever goes off "by itself". They ALWAYS require something to set them off ;)

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I have a Colt Series 70 Repro that does not have the firing pin safety. I also had an original Colt Series 70 without the firing pin safety. It is theoretically possible for them to go off when dropped. However, they have to be dropped directly on the muzzle, onto a hard surface like concrete, from a height of at least 8 feet before they MIGHT go off. It is HIGHLY unlikely that they would go off. The series 80 firing pin safety was designed with lawyers in mind. I would worry more about getting struck by lighting than by having my Colt Government Model dropped and going off.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I should have added that they would be HIGHLY unlikely to go off under most conditions. If you are trying to get them to discharge by dropping them from a height of eight plus feet with the intention of getting them to do so, maybe it's possible. It would still be difficult to do.

Cocked and locked in Condition 1 is the only way to go. One in the pipe, full magazine, with the safety on!

·
Registered
910 Posts
The Colt 1911 whether Series 70 or 80 was designed to be carried in Condition 1 - round in the chamber, hammer back, safety on. If you are uncomfortable carrying in this mode, the 1911 is not for you.

·
Registered
910 Posts
"With practice, comes proficiency (and safety)." :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts