Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post, and I apologize if this issue has been covered in depth, elsewhere on the forum. I did a quick search, but didn't really find a thread that answered my question.

Happy to say that I just acquired my first PPK (SS, Interarms), in .32 acp. It's in jail for a few more days. I'm looking for suggestions for range ammo and, to a lesser degree, HD. Looking for something not too "hot," for two reasons: 1) My wife is going to shoot it as well, and I'd like to help minimize the recoil (though I of course realize it's not bad); and, 2) I'd like to use the same ammo for my new Beretta Tomcat Inox. As some of you might know, they had some problems years ago with cracked frames (non-Inox version), and therefore suggest that customers refrain from using overly hot loads.

As I'm in CA, my ammo choices are a bit limited. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you all!

Michael

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum. I've used WWB and Remington UMC in several vintage pistols with no problems in any of them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input, Redcat. I'll check those out. Admittedly, I don't know a ton about ammo, grains loaded, etc. It's funny though, how some have told me that Fiocchi FMJ, at .32 but 73 grain, may be too "hot," but that the 71 grain loads that you've listed, are just fine. Like I said, I don't know enough about the subject, but plan on finding out. Live and learn.

Registered
I just shot 200 rounds or so of Fiocchi through a '60 PP and a '67 PPK with absolutely zero issues. This is the first ammunition I've tried in either so can not compare to other brands but I see no reason to stray from what works at this point so I'll be sticking with it.
If I remember right I went with Fiocchi due to recommendations from this sight. Something about the casing design helping with feed issues that other brands were experiencing. Also I believe there are some brands that arent "powerful" enough to cycle reliably?
Hey...I'm just a new guy so take what I've just relayed with a grain of salt.

Attachments

Registered
I have used Fiocchi, Sellier and Bellot, Blazer, MagTech and Winchester in my .32 Walthers. They all work. If the gun is tight, I would probably try the Fiocchi or S&B first.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for your suggestions. I鈥檓 really looking forward to getting the ppk out of jail, and taking it to the range. If it shoots half as good as it looks, I鈥檒l be in good shape.

Registered
I have used WWB(71gr), Blazer Brass(71gr), PPU(71gr) FMJ.

PPU(71gr), and Hornady XTP(60gr) JHP in my Manurhin PP with no issues.

The PPU FMJ is my plinking ammo. I find them in 50rd boxes at Cabela's for $16.99.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Vandal. I think I鈥檓 going to start with the PPU and/or WWB (both 71 gr and fmj) for the range, as they are each on the 鈥渁llowed鈥 list for my Tomcat, as well (at or below 130 ft/lbs of muzzle energy). You guys are great!

Super Moderator
Since real me don't read the owner's manual, I never gave the one for my new Inox Tomcat a look. Son of a gun, there are admonitions about ammunition.
I'll also speculate that Beretta has already dealt with the issue. IIRC, the slide was thinner on the older version (I owned one), and they had a more rappy recoil due to the lighter slide.
If anyone happens to own an older Tom, we can exchange some measurements.

In any case, PriviPartisan clocked a little north of 900 in a Walther PPK, and my 71 gr reloads a little south of 900.
My older, somewhat slower loads (at 830) didn't always run everything. 'Everything' includes some Walthers, a Sig and a neutered Czech buzzgun.
For the OP, I wouldn't sweat the ammo too much...you may find the warmer imports (Privi, Fiocchi, etc) run better.
As it turns out, my reloads are slightly below the magic 130ft/lbs, and the Privi was very slightly above it. Any commercial ammo should be fine in your Tom, barring something weird hot loaded.
For the OP, you are likely as well served with ball for defense. It is hard to drive a .32 hard enough to make it both expand and penetrate.

Moon

Reactions: 153

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wise words, Moon. Believe it or not, the Finocchi .32 fmj, comes in at 155 ft. lbs. of 鈥淢uzzle Energy鈥 (obv. well above Beretta鈥檚 magic no. of 130). I agree with you that the new Tom鈥檚 are much improved, but I鈥檓 gonna play it safe, stick with the mfr鈥檚 suggestions and use the cooler stuff (especially if my wife shoots it).

You can bet I鈥檒l be using the Finocchi in my PPK, however. And, as you suggested, whichever of these .32鈥檚 I decide to use 鈥渂edside,鈥 will be loaded with ball. The fmj being for the range, only. Again, thank you all, and I鈥檒l post a pic of the new PPK, when I get it out of jail next weekend. Should have taken a 鈥渕ugshot,鈥 but I was of course too excited to just get the proverbial 10-day ball rolling.

Michael

Super Moderator
Okay, did a little research.
The newer Toms do indeed have a heavier slide, presumably to slow down the slide and reduce its impact on the frame.
There were issues with the frame cracking in the area of the barrel catch.
Beretta has adopted a belt and suspenders, with the heavier slide and the caution in the directions.
Moon

Registered
I have read that the Tomcat thicker slides can crack also.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are correct, if one repeatedly uses too hot a load. All the more reason to stick with Beretta鈥檚 maximum of 130 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, as I鈥檒l be doing after picking up my 鈥淚nox,鈥 Sunday afternoon.

Registered
They have even cracked at 71gr. as well. I am still thinking of getting one, even though they crack, they are able to shoot without any problems.

Registered
I have always used Sellier and Bellot, 73 Grain FMJ. Its about the zippiest you will get before going to something like Buffalo Bore. Pretty much all PP/PPKs are solidly built enough to handle .32. Unless you are going to run Buffalo Bore (Which I recommend against) any off the shelf brand should be fine UMC, WWB, S and B, Fiocchi, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, sir. Really appreciate all of your input and responses to my somewhat 鈥渘oob鈥 inquiry.

Registered
I carry Cor-Bon or Fiochi 60-gr HPs in my Kel-Tec. They are loaded significantly hotter than US-mfgd rounds.

If I can't get them, would carry Hydra-Shoks or Gold Dots.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right. Those are both excellent. Take a look at my original post, though. I wanted to find something that I could shoot with my new Beretta Tomcat Inox, as well. The little mouse gun has a history (primarily with the older models), of frame cracks.

Beretta tells you to limit your .32 ammo in the Tomcats, to rounds with 130 or less ft. lbs. of 鈥淢uzzle Energy.鈥 Unfortunately, the Finocchi 73 gr. and several others that are ok for the PPK, are allegedly too hot for the Tomcat.

Registered
PMC Bronze 60Gr. JHP has the lowest "operable" pressure out there. Use it in my old Beretta 3032 all the time without any issues

Registered
My Interarms Walther PP shoots just about anything, but it is such a nice pistol, I have chosen some fairly docile FMJ ammo to put through it. I like the PPU and Remington. The original manual states "71 grain FMJ" as the approved ammo, but my pistol shoots the 71 or 73 grain without any hitches. I like the little 7.65/.32 ACP round; it's easy to shoot and accurate. After I bought the Walther PP, I just had to have another surplus pistol in this caliber, so I acquired a mint CZ-70 that is my shooter. I use the same type of ball ammo in the CZ and it is almost as accurate as the Walther.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts