Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a blued ppk and have shot it once. It appears to be OK. It was used but in great shape.

I just ran across an Interarms, (like my ppk), stainless steel PPKsn also used. It appears to be 95% at least. Comes with the plastic box, manual, book, cleaning rod, factory target,(dated 1993) and two Walther mags with finger extensions.

They will sell it to me for 400.00 inc. Tax.

Is this a good deal? I also looked at a used Bersa thunder for 215.00.

I cannot buy both. And need has absolutely nothing to do with it. It comes down to want,

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
345 Posts
In my area, it would go for more than that if it was being sold by a gun shop. It would be about right for a private party sale.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Sounds almost exactly like my PPK/S that I just bought from a local shop for $400. I'd put the finish at 98%, but it's hard to say so we may be in the same ballpark. My left grip had a crack so I replaced them with factory thumbrests. I think it sounds like you have a good deal, possibly better than mine considering the cracked grip.

BTW, you can probably do better online, but being able to examine the gun personally to me is worth the price difference (plus shipping and transfer fees).

Here's mine: http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6633/img2448ng5.jpg

Q

·
Registered
923 Posts
BTW, mine was $400 plus tax and one mag had the finger rest and the other was without.

Q

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
The Interarms PPKs are becoming more collectible these days; it is a design that carefully mimics the original Walther (unlike the current S&W version with the extended beavertail), and that makes it a vaulable commodity in many quarters. We've all seen price tags for a lot more money online, though who can say what they actually go for in the end? If this one is in good shape, and you've hand the chance to hold it and examine it and see it up close, then you are well ahead of the game.

The real bottom line is whether you'd rather own a Walther -- a true classic firearm -- or ... a Bersa. Seems like an easy choice to me. :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
The real bottom line is whether you'd rather own a Walther -- a true classic firearm -- or ... a Bersa. Seems like an easy choice to me.
Exactly. From everything that I've heard the Bersa is a good solid firearm and a great value. I've been tempted myself. But the problem is that every time I pick one up and look it over it just lacks something. Maybe that's because it's right next to the Walthers PPK/S' in the case, but the gun isn't in the same league as the Walther. As Searcher aptly put it, "a true classic firearm".

If you buy the Bersa there is a good chance that you will eventually get rid of it. There's an even better chance that if you buy the Walther you will own it forever.

Besides, what joy is there in dry firing a Bersa while watching a Bond movie?

Q

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
If it doesn't take the food out of the "little ones" mouths, buy that PPK/S.

I like the Bersa Thunder, tied to an anchor chain its streamlined shape allows it to find the river bottom fast, the projections hold well in the riverbed. It would work better if it was a little heavier. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I "want" the Walther. I don't know why except ..... because. I guess tghat is a good enough reason. But then every time I look at a different gun--- I want it. I want a Kahr PM9-- don't know why except .. because. I want, I want. Anybody see a pattern?

This is scary because IO was the same way with 1911's and ended uop with several-- Oh I forgot, I want a sig 230/232----- because.

HELP!!

IBy the way, thanks for the responses. It appears that the majority of you very knowlegable people feel that 400.00 is a fair price, but not a great price for a 1993 Interarms PPK/S.

Thanks

·
Registered
923 Posts
"Anybody see a pattern?"
---------------------------
Yes, the well known GAS affliction. (Gun Aquisition Syndrome)
I know it well, but I've always referred to it as JOMS, the Just One More Syndrome. This time I thought it was a Beretta 90-Two but then I got to thinking about a sad little PT92 in need of refinishing sitting in the case all by it's self, a gun that I regret selling, and now I'm thinking about michaelpri's Bersa which would be "just one more", since I'll be in the shop next week taking the PT92 out of layaway to send it off to Mac's for refinishing. And then there's that used Sig 239 with night sights and the used 24/7......... Argh!! And then you consider Hillary in the Whitehouse and Speaker Pelsozy....

But that Bersa Thunder is a nice little gun...

Q

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I am more confused. I stopped at one of my "haunts" this morning and they have, (both Interarms) a stainless PPk with two walther mags- no box or manual, in great condition inside, some small scratches and nicks on the outside, for 325.00 plus tax-
Or a stainless PPKs with one mag, no box or manual for 395.00 plus tax. It is in better condition.
It makes the PPKs that I saw yesterday with two mags, boxn target etc. For 400.00 including tax a0pretty good deal.
Since I already have the blued PPK I am not sure if I want another PPK or a PPKS.
Chances are either one will sit in a safe anyhow.
Which do think is more desirable or a better value?
The PPks feels better because of the larger grip, but there is something about the PPK.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I would opt for the PPK, my old one tore my hand up, but I didn't give it much of a chance, and it never occurred to me to try different grips (not much available then except Siles).

The PPk/S will undoubtedly be a little nicer to shoot, but the PPK is a classic. Classics are always the better buy!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Since you already have a blue PPK you might want to go with the stainless PPK/S that tickles your fancy the most; probably the more pristene version.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
A great deal depends on what you want to do with the gun. If it's meant to fill a hole in a collection, then opt for the one that you don't now have. If it's meant to be a regular range-shooter, opt for the one that has the cleanest bore and is in the best mechanical condition. If money is the primary issue directing the purchase, opt for the one that you can negotiate the best deal on (all things and all firearms are negotiable, right?). If you want to hang it on the wall, opt for the one that looks best as the sunlight streams in through the window (best to put some bars on that window).

The bottom line is that, like Smokey the Bear, only you can prevent a purchase that will make you slap your head somewhere down the road and say, "Geez, why didn't I buy THAT one instead?"

One other thought: If money is not the issue, then buy them all. :D

Good luck.

·
Registered
923 Posts
My situation was the opposite of yours having the stainless PPK/S first. I'd rather have two different guns so I'd opt for the PPK/S.

Of course, with two sweet guns just sitting there someone may make the choice for you.

Q

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well the shop with the PPK/s - bnox, mags, etc. for 400.00 inc tax is holding the gun for me through tomorrow. I guess I really cannot dexcide between the three. Either another PPk, or a PPK/s. And if the PPK/s-- then which one. I actually get more for the money-- if it matters with the 400.00 one and the two mags with finger extensions, box, target, manual vs 395.00 plus tax with no box, one mag and no manual. Both in pretty much the same condition. One is at a local "Pawn Shop trhat actually has a gun shop attached, the other (395.00 plus tax is at a police equipment shop. However, they get guns from all over and may not know the history any more than any other place.

I would just hate to get stuck with a jammo gun. the pawn shop does have a 15 day warranty-------------------- or do I get the PPK?????????

Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I would just hate to get stuck with a jammo gun. the pawn shop does have a 15 day warranty-------------------- or do I get the PPK?????????
Good grief, man -- run out and get them all. Easy decision, problem solved, next question? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts