Walther Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I’m new on the block here, and I have a somewhat desperate situation with a pistol I’ve just purchased.
You see, I bought a very nice P38 from GunBroker not more than a week ago. The gentleman I bought it from said the gun had been refinished.
When I finally had it in hand, I was rather dismayed at the state of it. It looked like it had been PAINTED. Like someone had hung it from a wire and gave it a once-over with some black spray paint.
I’m hoping to get this ugly coating stripped off, and have it blued in the same fashion it had originally been.
Yet here is my dilemma. The finish is interfering with the recoil loading a new round into the chamber. I’ve already pulled it apart and scraped off what I can of the finish in hopes of making it workable till I can have it done. I’m the process of doing this, I’ve noticed that the “P38 cyq” stamp is painfully shallow. Truthfully, I’m afraid that having it refinished will remove the stamps entirely. I’m almost in a panic right now because this gun used to belong to my father... I’m still in awe that I managed to recover it after so long.
Is there anyone out there who has some advice on what to do? There are some scratches over the “cyq”, and it’s making me nervous.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone! I’m new on the block here, and I have a somewhat desperate situation with a pistol I’ve just purchased.
You see, I bought a very nice P38 from GunBroker not more than a week ago. The gentleman I bought it from said the gun had been refinished.
When I finally had it in hand, I was rather dismayed at the state of it. It looked like it had been PAINTED. Like someone had hung it from a wire and gave it a once-over with some black spray paint.
I’m hoping to get this ugly coating stripped off, and have it blued in the same fashion it had originally been.
Yet here is my dilemma. The finish is interfering with the recoil loading a new round into the chamber. I’ve already pulled it apart and scraped off what I can of the finish in hopes of making it workable till I can have it done. I’m the process of doing this, I’ve noticed that the “P38 cyq” stamp is painfully shallow. Truthfully, I’m afraid that having it refinished will remove the stamps entirely. I’m almost in a panic right now because this gun used to belong to my father... I’m still in awe that I managed to recover it after so long.
Is there anyone out there who has some advice on what to do? There are some scratches over the “cyq”, and it’s making me nervous.

Some photos would help, but for a start I’d be chemically removing the paint, definitely not “scraping” it off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts