Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Walther P99c QA back in OCT. 04.  I love the pistol dearly for it is my first personal weapon.  While home on leave from Afghanistan I put approx. 1300 rounds through the little pistol in less than two weeks.  Mostly 115 gr. FMJ's, some JHP's, and some Hydroshocks.  All shot superbly and had no problems dealing with the gangs of left-over Holloween pumpkins that were still loitering after the holiday.  My question about the pistol is this.  First off let me say that I am familiar with the action of my quick action pistol.  I however could use some insight on the practical application of my QA pistol in the concealed carry role.  To have one "in the pipe" and cocked does not seem safe at all with the absence of passive safeties.  This being said.  With a round in the chamber and decocked, to have to rack the slide even 3/8th's of an inch in the heat of a defensive battle does'nt seem too safe to me.  It seems there is no way to carry this pistol "ready to go" in a safe mannor.  Could someone please provide some insight to me about a practical application of this pistol I love so much.  In the concealed carry role or otherwise.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Basically you've covered it all, that's the drawback(?)/characteristic of the QA version.
I agree that to rack that 3/8" in the heat is not easy at all, chances are the cartridge will get ejected when racking too much -or- simply half way stuck there. It boils down to either to carry one in chamber -or- carry chamber empty and draw the Israeli style. Either way it'll take awhile and practices to get comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
If you're going to carry a QA style P99 pistol or a Glock, carry in a holster with one in the pipe.  It's not a problem if the gun is in a proper holster.  The striker does not rest near the primer charge in a way where it can rattle against it.  It is partially retracted and there is no way of it going off short of the trigger being pulled.  

If you're not going to use a holster for concealed carry of your QA, you need to carry a different gun.  Like the Glock it is easy to accidentally manipulate the trigger if it's just flopping around in a bag or other confined space with objects floating freely past the trigger's face.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Like BreakerDave said, the holster becomes the safety. I guess it would be nice if the QA could be put in DA mode like the AS model. Nice heavy trigger pull on the first shot, light ones for follow up.

I'm no holster expert (don't even have one) but I'd practice the reholstering as much as the draw. You have to train yourself to not let anything (including finger) get stuck in the trigger guard while inserting. Also never aim the gun at yourself while inserting. Keep the muzzle aimed at the floor, past your body. See various Masad Ayoob and Gabe Suarez publications for details.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have carried my G30 with one in the chamber for over four years now, and never had an accidental discharge. just keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. keep finger off trigger, keep finger off trigger. i now carry my walther P99 AS with one in the chamber and do not decock it. i would have bought a QA, but my dealer didn't have one in stock and i didn't want to wait. i love my P99 AS though, and would not trade it for anything.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What kind of holster do you use j_?

I'd always decock my AS to be on the safe side but that's just me. Even with the DA trigger pull I can still shoot quite accurately. Then again it's unlikely I'll every carry concealed so my opinion is purely academic at this point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why not practice cocking? Practice the draw and cock as quick as possible. I would feel uncomfortable carrying a "ready to fire" pistol just knowing that one improper movement could set the puppy off. Also, somewhere along the line your going to get some wierdo that "wants to check out your piece before asking" and just grabs it. And I also believe that in the heat of the moment, most people's senses will be keen enough to get the cock taken care of and be ready to fire. This is just my opinion cause I will be carrying the full size QA as a CW.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
If you're going to carry concealed, you should not be in a position where some "weirdo wants to check out your piece before asking."  Concealed means concealed.  -If it's going to be an open carry weapon, get some training and learn weapon retention skills.

The situation with a Glock or a QA style a P99 is not one where just an "improper movement could set the puppy off."  Neither pistol was designed to be tucked into a waistband without a proper holster or carried in a duffelbag full of odds and ends.  -Both were designed with Military and Law Enforcement use in mind and that means holster use.  

I know people are going to take the approach of doing it their own way and have AD's but try to learn from the mistakes of others.  -A couple of years ago, one of the Vegas cops was working undercover.  He was going to carry a Glock 26 as a hidden weapon.  When he went to bury it in his pants, the trigger got tied up on the shirt and he did shoot one of his testicles.  It's not the gun that was at fault.  It was operator error.

I have no issue with someone wanting to practice their draw and rack / cock, but in the heat of the moment things can go horribly wrong quickly.  People who are dedicated 1911 fans have been known to experience brain fades and leave the safety engaged in the moment of truth and yank on the trigger.  I know a couple of real instances and the people who made the blunders.  (They were LEO's so we know they were trained.)  The simple truth is adding any extra manipulation of a gun in a crisis will increase the difficulty of defending oneself.

The QA is designed to be carried in a holster with a round in the chamber.  Depart from that paradigm at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You guys are forgetting that the P99 QA and other P99's has a plate in front of the striker. The only way for the striker to hit the primer is for this plate to be moved. It is moved by the trigger. (I believe Glock is the same way). So if you accidently drop the gun, and the striker somehow moves forward, its not going to go off.

By using a holster that covers the trigger, you will be just fine. When holstering the gun, make sure your finger is off the trigger and out of the trigger guard. Also make sure you have no clothing in the way. This is what has cause all these "accidental" discharges by police officers in their locker rooms when they are getting ready to go out on patrol.

Get yourself some good training if you don't understand these concepts of keeping your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire.

Like BreakerDave said, the QA is meant to be carried loaded and partially cocked. I've been carrying mine since 1998 this way and never had a problem, because I know the safety rules and follow them.

The 4 Rules of Gun Safety:
#1 A Gun is ALWAYS Loaded
#2 Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy or kill
#3 Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot
#4 Be absolutely sure of your target and what is behind it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gee.....if I knew I was gonna be mocked I would have kept my mouth shut!!!!! The "wierdos" I was talking about are ie: Friends. Someone WHO KNOWS that you are carrying. ACCIDENTS happen. That's why they are called what they are. Something that happens that cannot be controlled. So best thing to do "IMHO" is too AVOID these situations.

When I mentioned about practicing the draw and cock, I was referring to those that are carrying "properly" ie: A holster. I, for one, would rather carry and have to cock that 3/8" Rather than blowing off one of my boy's. Because that is the SAFE thing to do, again IMHO!!!

And for those who "FORGET" about the safety, Well, they should not have any type of firearm in their hands.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Shottie,

I wasn't "mocking" you.

However, I will say that the Isrealli draw method is way too slow. Go to an IDPA or IPSC match and try to do that. Not only are your times going to be terrible, but I would bet you run the risk of FTF's. It's funny what happens when a person is under stress. If your running a chamber empty, you may not pull the slide all the way back when you are under stress. Or lets say your carrying with a round in the chamber and then, under stress, try to pull the slide back 3/8"? I bet you'd either not cock to pistol, or you'll pull it back far enough to get a jam. I think you're doing yourself a disservice and probably endangering yourself more by carrying a QA decocked. I've actually experimented with the Isrealli draw and found that I can draw and shoot a QA in normal cocked mode in .7 to .8 seconds. With the Isrealli it takes me 1.1 to 1.3 seconds.

IMHO, you need to tell your "weirdo" friends to leave your gun alone. And mean it! If some friend of mine did that to me, they would not be my friend any more. And they'd probably be going home with a few teeth knocked out. That just is not right! If you're worried about your son, then when you store the gun at home, decock, remove magazine, remove round from chamber and then lock it up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wasn't referring to YOU mocking me. I was referring to breakerdave. I wasn't referring to my friends either becaue they know better. Not only will they lose a couple teeth, they may sufffer a couple broken fingers too. Don't have a son either, I have a daughter. And just as you stated, the gun is locked away.

I posted my opinion to the question that was asked. I gave my opinion. In no way am I right or wrong.

I "bet" in the heat of the moment I do cock properly too!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your advice and input on the subject. I got exactly what I was asking for. Insight. This does however spark another inquiry. First off, I never did intend to carry this firearm in a bag or on my person unholstered. I didn't have a lot of time to shop around for holsters before I had to leave to come back over here to Afghaniland. I really don't like the idea of not holstering. DOES ANYONE EVEN MAKE A HOLSTER FOR THE P99c. It's an awsome pistol and I'm boggled about the lack of accessories available. You can't search online and not come across an arsenal of XD gear, but I can't find one holster for a Walther p99c.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 03 2005,7:52)]I wasn't referring to YOU mocking me. I was referring to breakerdave.
Shottieman, I'm not mocking you.  I meant no offense.  You expressed an opinion and I expressed my disagreement with you.  I used your words when I disagreed with you.  You are the one who first used the term "weirdo" in refering to an individual who possibly would reach for your pistol.  

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 03 2005,2:17)] Also, somewhere along the line your going to get some wierdo that  "wants to check out your piece before asking" and just grabs it.
You then defined said "weirdos" in a follow up post as your friends who already know you are carrying.  

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 03 2005,6:38)]The "wierdos" I was talking about are ie: Friends. Someone WHO KNOWS that you are carrying.
P88 / Devin stated that you should tell your friends to leave your friends alone and now you deny that those people are the "weirdos" you first mentioned.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 03 2005,7:52)]I wasn't referring to my friends either becaue they know better. Not only will they lose a couple teeth, they may sufffer a couple broken fingers too.
Now this is just a discussion where there was no pressure other than what you applied to yourself.  Under stress, it appears that you "forgot" what you said.  That is completely within the normal range of responses for people who are under stress because they feel threatened.  Does that make you want to reconsider your statement below?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 03 2005,6:38)]And for those who "FORGET" about the safety, Well, they should not have any type of firearm in their hands.
The individuals who forgot about their engaged safeties were in life and death situations and their abilities declined.  There's a huge difference between shooting a course of fire on a range and doing it in life where the targets are moving unpredictably and shooting at you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 03 2005,7:52)]I "bet" in the heat of the moment I do cock properly too!!!!
Well, you'd be betting your life.  Let's hope you don't find out.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 03 2005,5:52)]I "bet" in the heat of the moment I do cock properly too!!!!
Let's hope you never have to find out!

I respect your decision to carry how you want, but I think you're putting yourself at risk. You should read up on or take a class from Clint Smith or Jeff Cooper.

fffosterjjjj,

This is the problem with Walther in America. They are very slow to get things to their customers in the States. They are very good to their customers in Europe. I've run into this problem many, many times, but if you scream loud enough, they will make you happy.

You take care of yourself over there in Afgahnistan! And thank-you for your service and protecting us here at home!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The "wierdos" I was talking about are ie: Friends. Someone WHO KNOWS that you are carrying.
Where in that quote did I say "MY FRIENDS". Friends IN GENERAL is what I meant. Do you know my friends??? Some people have "wierdos" for friends that WOULD do something careless like that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Under stress, it appears that you "forgot" what you said. That is completely within the normal range of responses for people who are under stress because they feel threatened.
Forgot??? Hmmmmm!!! Where was I threatened???

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Let's hope you don't find out.
Not worried about FINDING OUT!!! I have complete confidence in myself.
Didn't wanna turn this into a BRU-HA-Ha or anything. Just can't stand when you give and opinion and get blasted with a bunch of "your wrong's".

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 03 2005,8:48)]Where in that quote did I say "MY FRIENDS". Friends IN GENERAL is what I meant. Do you know my friends??? Some people have "wierdos" for friends that WOULD do something careless like that.
Generally speaking, when people mention "friends" in the context you did, the implication is that they are talking about their own friends.  The distinction you're trying to create seems forced but I do not sense much value in pursuing this further.  

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shottieman @ Feb. 03 2005,8:48)]Didn't wanna turn this into a BRU-HA-Ha or anything. Just can't stand when you give and opinion and get blasted with a bunch of "your wrong's".
Don't worry about creating a problem.  I'm not upset by your comments.  However, on a forum you're undoubtedly going to get opinions which strongly contrast with yours.  It's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
38 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fffosterjjj @ Feb. 03 2005,8:16)] DOES ANYONE EVEN MAKE A HOLSTER FOR THE P99c.  
call Blade-tech.com. if they don't have it they will make it. this is what they did for the IWB for my S&W model 66 with the 2 1/2 inch barrel. they had the holster for the 4 inch but not the 2 1/2. the made it and i got it one week later. i use blade-tech holsters for my glocks and my smith, but i am going side armor for my P99. the only bummer is they have a two week back order. i'll find out in a couple of weeks if i like this holster or not. side armor won't custom make a holster that isn't on thier holster list but blade-tech will.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just my two cents:

Its not much use to carry a pistol if you are not good to go when the situation calls for it.

Most incidents happen with little to no warning or develop so that your window of opportunity to act is limited to a few seconds at best. Most people won't even realize what is happening for several seconds (takes a little time for the cognitive dissonance from being attacked to dissipate.) What this means to me is there is no time to ready the firearm for the fight by "cocking" or "chamber a round" (aka Israeli draw).

The Glock and the P99 are two pistols whose inherent design will prevent Accidental Discharges; however, neither will prevent a Negligent Discharge. The four rules always apply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts