Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I saw a "like new" P99 .40 with German proofs today for $449. One mag, orange follower but no box. He is the thing. It was a two-tone. But it was not marked "Titanium coated" like I have seen some others. It is an Interarms import. But the slide looked wierd. It didn't look like Titanium but rather like someone had stripped all the bluing off. Does anyone have a Titanium that they could post some pics? The slide looked like it had a couple of fingerprints on it that I could not remove by rubbing my fingers over it...Does the Titanium break down after awhile? I am not even certain if Interarms even imported .40s. Any info would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
+1
the decocker should be blued (black) and the barrel.....
date code should be 1999 or KK
when you fieldstrip the gun the internals of the slide should match the outside

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It's QPQ (Quench Polish Quench) the original Tennifer finish that didn't have the black coating. This was the pre-cursor "Silver" P99 to the P99 "Titanium" finished guns. The P99 QPQ 9mms were featured in the "Underworld" movie with Kate Beckensale. ;)

QPQ didn't have the same problems with the finish deterioration that some Ti guns did.

Good price for a .40 if that's what you want.

James

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jake: Interarms did import .40 cal P99s, but if you are seeing fingerprints in the finish, chances are that it's bare steel, not some "special" finish.
Yeah that was my impression too. Looked more like bare steel... Now my question why did someone go to the trouble of removing the tennifer finish? I guess if I got this I could have it reblued or hard chromed...

Don't know if I want to go through all the trouble....Mike, you didn't by chance work for Interarms did you?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The tennifer wasn't removed. Tennifer isn't a surface treatment, it is a chemical treatment that permeates the metal several milimeteres below the surface, and there is no way to undo it.

The QPQ was discontinued, likely because the Ti coated P99s resist rust and especially scratches better than the QPQ.

It's a great price, and if it really is an Interarms model, likely has the 'true original AS trigger' which is AWESOME. I love my AD date code P99, but the old style AS trigger really was a jewel. Walther scrapped that when they discovered that it was possible to 'pull the trigger incorrectly enough' for the pistol to not fire. I've never had this problem or seen it, but on a defensive gun intended for German police I can understand Walther making the change.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Only about 6,000 pistols with the original trigger were made. They will be collectors items in a decade.

The QPQ, basically IS bare steel with the tennifer treatment. As such, it will scratch very easily. If you're buying this to carry, and you care about scratches, get it hard chromed or buy the black one. Even the Ti coated models seem to scratch fairly easily.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This model did not have the split trigger as I recall. (I do have an early Interarms P99 in 9mm, it is a real beauty). It does appear to be bare steel but I would not know how they could strip off the tennifer. Unless it is the early QPQ. Does anyone have serial numbers on those? I will go back tomorrow and look at it again but I know that it had some fingerprints that I could not remove by rubbing with my fingers. So I don't know what kind of finish the QPQ had or if it would disfigure in this manner. Now you have made me curious and I am more interested in this piece than before....

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Jake
I bet it is a QPQ P99.....
I don't think the QPQ was around when they still had the split trigger..... highest serial for split trigger I have seen is #010378 and I have my doubts that the .40 was around then let alone the QPQ......
I would ask the gunshop guy for a rag with some oil on it and see if the fingerprints comes off.... the grain of the slide might be too rough for you to just wipe it off with your bare finger and the QPQ sure looks like bare metal
FWIW.... I am showing QPQ's up till (still have 98/99 missing) 2002 in my catalogs and 2003/4 lists the Titanium finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts