Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I need help with a PPK ID. The gun belonged to my great grandfather who served in WWII.

I'll post pictures later, but for now I can tell you the S/N is 862758, is a .22 model, and has wooden grips.

It is marked Waffenfabrik Walther, Zella-Mehlis (Thür.)

Thanks,

mcalpal94

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I believe this is a Verchromt model is it not?
You have a beautiful 1935 Walther .22LR PPK. Unfortunately, I can't say it has a factory Verchromt finish from the photos you have provided. Verchromt is a flat, satin chrome finish while your PPK appears to have a more polished finish. Perhaps with better photos I could give you a better opinion... ;)

Most chromed Walthers brought home by returning GI's were refinished after the war by local gunsmiths and plating shops to enhance their appearence. It is far more likely that your PPK is a GI refinish rather than one of the rare Verchromt Walther models.

Here's an earlier link where Walther Verchromt models were discussed in detail. I've also included a link to a Verchromt PPK recently sold on the Legacy Collectables site. I'd suggest comparing the finish of your PPK against the photos of the Verchromt examples in the links below. Then you can decide for yourself... :)

Waltherforums: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/11507-walther-pp-9m-m-pre-war-2.html

Legacy Collectables: PPK- Verchromt - SOLD - Recently Sold

From the photos your PPK appears to have the original Walther pre-war brown grips. If so, they're made from a type of thermoplastic that looks like wood but is much more fragile. They're worth about $300 in excellent condition so if they are plastic be careful tightening the grip screw. Better yet, swap them for a wood set...if they're not wood already... :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the ID.

That makes sense, as the gun belonged to my great-grandfather. He picked up the gun after the Battle of the Bulge as well as other Nazi equipment.

Is there any way to tell that the pistol has been worked over? Was it originally a chrome or a nickel model?

What would you say the value of the holster is?

-mcalpal94

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Thanks for the ID.

That makes sense, as the gun belonged to my great-grandfather. He picked up the gun after the Battle of the Bulge as well as other Nazi equipment.

Is there any way to tell that the pistol has been worked over? Was it originally a chrome or a nickel model?

What would you say the value of the holster is?

-mcalpal94
The chances that your great-grandfather found one of the estimated 300 original factory nickle/chrome plated PPK's lying around after the Battle of the Buldge are about zero. I say "about zero" because the actual odds would fill this space with leading zeros... ;)

The value of the holster depends on the condition, date and maker name or code, any military, police, or civil government markings, and the exact model of gun the holster was designed for. We'll need better photos to give you a value estimate.

Your PPK was probably a blued model that was refinished after the war by a GI who somehow acquired it. We know that it wasn't captured from an SS Colonel during the Battle of the Bulge. Those have already been accounted for...many times over... :D

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
... We know that it wasn't captured from an SS Colonel during the Battle of the Bulge. Those have already been accounted for...many times over... :D
Yes, but many of the hundreds of Walthers reputed to have been in the vast personal collections of Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler and Hermann Goering remain unaccounted for, and still turn up with regularity.

M

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Yes, but many of the hundreds of Walthers reputed to have been in the vast personal collections of Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler and Hermann Goering remain unaccounted for, and still turn up with regularity.

M
That is a point. I found a Colt that belonged to General Patton... :)
Too bad I don't have his bill of sale... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I used to mow lawns for George Patton's family when I was a kid. I did a good job once and they gave me the Luger Gen. Patton took off Hitler after the battle for Berlin. It's chrome and has white grips with the swastika on them!

:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts