Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The extractor on my P1 does not work and I would like to replace the unit. I guess my question is how tough of a job is this? Can anybody offer any advice? I haven't yet been able to find a website that shows how to go about the replacement of an extractor assembly.

thanks

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Highrider: There is a lot to be said for the Hippocratic Oath: First, do no harm.

Unless you are experienced and have the proper tools (in particular a bench vise with padded jaws to hold the pistol), it's better to take it to gunsmith and pay him to change the extractor and show you how to do it next time.

More P.38 slides are scratched up, and small parts lost, by maladroit attempts to change the extractor than by any other cause.

M

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You are thinking of the PP series, in which the extractor spring powers both the extractor and the safety detent.

The safety in a P.38 has nothing to do with the extractor.

M
Thanks for the correction, I havn't done that operation in a year and my memory is not what it used to be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Highrider: There is a lot to be said for the Hippocratic Oath: First, do no harm.........
MGMike, I have a feeling that this is probably some very sage advice. I think I'll follow it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts