Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used P22 (gun only, nothing else included). I did a routine field strip in order to clean and lubricate it before I took it to the range to test it out. Using a downloaded PDF file, i read and followed the diasassembly instructions, cleaned and oiled, THEN read the assembly instructions. Ruh-roh. It seems that, in order to install the recoil spring, a certain tool is required and I don't have the tool. I tried a dowel and a small screwdriver, to no avail. It seems I need that tool. I've Emailed customer support, but no reply as yet. Anybody have any other tips on how to install that dratted spring? (GLOCKs is sooooo much simpler).

·
Registered
3 Posts
The tool is just a small wooden dowel the same diameter of the guide rod. Once you put the guide rod into the recoil spring the dowel should be long enough to take up the remaining length, and just stick out of the end of the recoil spring about 1/4". The dowel is just acting as an extension of the guide rod as you put the side back on. It will fall out the end of the slide as you push the slide rearward when installing it. You should shape the end of the dowel rod to a dull point on one end and be sure that end is pointing towards the hole in the slide when you are installing it.

Or you can put the guide rod in the recoil spring, depress the spring so that you can grab the end of the guide rod that goes towards the front, and the stick that end (front) of the guide rod through the slide and just hold on to it until the slide is in place and the you can release the guide rod.
Attached Files
P22_USA_Manual.pdf (248.9 KB, 0 views)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You don't need a tool. Just compress the spring and put the slide back on. It's a little tricky but easier with practice. You could spring for a galloway precision guide rod that has a captured spring.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts

Just install it like the factory suggests. Works fine, plastic rod, screwdriver, section of cleaning rod, chopstick, Allen wrench....doesn't matter. Just place it through the spring and press against the end of the guide rod. Pull slide rearward. M1911

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

I tried the best of the options, the cleaning rod, since it has a concave end, so I thought the rounded end of the guide rod might nestle into it. Maybe I'm just clumsy, but it lets me get ALMOST there, then the spring slips off the cleaning rod and kinks up.
I have ordered a captive spring guide rod from Brasstacks. Hopefully, that will be a lot more "Glocklike", which is a piece of cake to deal with. It should eliminate the problem pretty much entirely.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
If you press down on the cleaning rod against the end of the guide rod the slide will slide rearward very easily. All the guide does is keep the spring from kinking. I'd suggest practicing a bit more. From what I remember those captive rods/springs didn't hold up. Here is another take on something you can do. M1911

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.