Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my new ppk in stainless and Im not too thrilled with the sandblasted rounds that seem to be all the craze with current firearms manufacturers. I want to have the rounds and other random parts to be refinished to match the brushed/polished stainless flats. I had the procedure done to my colt series 70 by sending it back to colt and it took approx 3 months which is not a wait time I'd like to repeat.
Does anyone know a reputable company or smith that can make this happen in 2 months or less?

And please dont judge to harshly, but as a side note, I'd also like to get the extended tang cut down to match the previous ppk models (interarms and prior) and have the edges rounded for increased shooting comfort. Figured it could be a one-stop shop.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
You raise an interesting point. I have polished stainless S&Ws; with some care, the stuff isn't too hard to work with.

You're no doubt aware that 3M cloth (the multiple-color abrasive stuff) can be used to touch up scratches on a Walther's brushed stainless sides. I'd be surprised if the same effect couldn't be achieved on the slide top's beadblasted surfaces after using emery cloth or other abrasive as a first step. Maybe drift out the rear sight while your are working on the slide?

Regarding the tang, depending on your level of skill and courage, perhaps you could reshape the tang to your liking and then restore the finish with the 3M cloth. De-tanging the Smith & Walthers seems like a cottage industry looking for a place to happen; it does make me wonder if someone isn't already doing it.

That's the great thing with current production guns; they may not be cheap, but they are replaceable. It's not like you are wallpapering the Sistine Chapel.

Moon

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts on this moon, youve definately motivated me to tackle the polishing portion myself. Any other recommendations you may havefor me would be greatly appreciated, for example polishing techniques using the aforementioned 3M cloth. I'm normally very wary about doing anything more than replacing springs and firing pins and such, but I feel confident that this is something I can manage.

As far as reshaping the tang goes, thats probably way beyond my abilities, and I'd prefer a pro to take care of that to make sure its precise and to the original specs if possible. Gonna spend a lot of time scouring this forum to see if anyone has done this before

thank again!

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Seems to me that we ran some photos on the forum at one point from someone who had altered the S&W model's beavertail to something approaching the original design. A search might turn it up. Then again, it may have been a local gunsmith who told me about it ... can't recall exactly, as it goes back a few years. Regardless: The more logical answer to producing a pistol that resembles the original design, of course, is to get an Interarms stainless pistol with an original beavertail. But I could be wrong ... :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Mothers metal polish will also work. In any event and no matter what product....it will polish-up. I have not used it on a Walther but have cleaned-up a revolver.

Have you considered seeking someone that would trade you a Ranger for your Smith? That would take care of the beaver-tail. May sound stupid, but there may very well be somebody out there that wants a new Smith and would trade. Once you cut that one down....it may belong to you forever....which is just fine as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right on the money searcher, Im prob gonna PM berreta92 for some of the specifics before I take any sanding/polishing materials to the gun. Im just concerned Im gonna polish it up too much and then the rounds and flats wont match...again

Somebody please explain why two-tone sandblasted stainless comes as standard, seems that it should be a custom request. Im calling a BS flag on that one, 10 yards on S&W, repeat first down :mad:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mothers metal polish will also work. In any event and no matter what product....it will polish-up. I have not used it on a Walther but have cleaned-up a revolver.

Have you considered seeking someone that would trade you a Ranger for your Smith? That would take care of the beaver-tail. May sound stupid, but there may very well be somebody out there that wants a new Smith and would trade. Once you cut that one down....it may belong to you forever....which is just fine as well.
Thanks autonut, saw a youtube video demonstrating exactly that polish product and revolver combination and the finish came out beautifully.
As far as trading goes, Would gladly trade if I found someone w a near mint condition ppk who was willing to swap!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Well....I have an almost NIB Ranger in 380 born in 1993 and a Smith in 32. I been wondering how I can get a matching pair. Lets think about this before you start grinding.:D

Oh....I see you have a PPK...my bad. Mine are all PPK/s's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well....I have an almost NIB Ranger in 380 born in 1993 and a Smith in 32. I been wondering how I can get a matching pair. Lets think about this before you start grinding.:D

Oh....I see you have a PPK...my bad. Mine are all PPK/s's.
Thanks autonut, yeah, not in the market for a ppk/s although I am rather jealous that there seem to be a lot more custom grip options for that model :/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts