Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I've decided that I'd like to pick up a P99, but can't decide on which trigger system.
I've been to 2 stores, but unfortunately, neither has both triggers in stock for me to compare to.

I've tried HK's LEM trigger--I like the idea of 1 pull weight, but I can't get used to the the interminably long pull.

I like the idea of the QA trigger--from what I've read/fondled, it's length of pull and reset length are shorter than the AS, no?

Basically, I want one pull length/weight, with a quick reset, in a gun that's NOT a Glock

I've read several threads where P99 owners have admonished a new purchaser to get the AS over the QA, but I don't know why...faster reset?

I know the SA pull is lighter, but does it also reset faster than the QA?

I don't necessarily mind a 8 lb trigger (as I'm experienced with the LEM), so long as it is short and relatively crisp

Thanks for the input!

Oh--any good places to buy from? Bud's Gun shop? SportingArms.com?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Background: I've owned two LEM guns (P2000 9mm, P2000sk .40), two Glocks (26 and 30), and now a P99c AS. I've never shot a QA, but dry fired them in the shop.

The QA has a shorter pull. If the reset was any shorter than the AS, it wouldn't matter unless you were an expert shooter. It's that short. I can't tell you which one is shorter, but I highly doubt that the QA is appreciably shorter.

The LEM trigger is light, like 4-5lb light, for most of the stroke. Only when the trigger is 90% or so back do you feel the 8lb resistance. The QA is a Glock-style trigger, but with a dumb, dangerous decocker. There should be nothing on any gun that does what the QA's decocker does.

The DA pull of the AS is going to be long like the LEM. If you want the first shot to be a relatively short pull, you want a Glock-style trigger.

The AS is a damn fine DA/SA trigger. The QA, to me, wasn't as good as the Glock or XD trigger.

·
Registered
70 Posts
out of curiosity, why do you say the QA's decocker is dumb and dangerous? I used to have a QA and decocked it hundreds of times with a loaded chamber and never had a problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's dangerous in the other way. There's no good reason to have a decocker on a gun that can't fire decocked, IMO. This is something that not everyone will agree with.

Yeah, it's hard to activate, but it's a liability.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is one reason I can think of: You need to de-cock the gun for disassembly. The Glocks don't have a decocker and need to have the trigger pulled prior to removing the slide. I constantly read about people shooting themselves and/or others pulling that trigger on an 'empty' gun to clean it.

Techrep

·
Registered
17 Posts
If a person doesn't have the capacity to successfully clear a firearm before cleaning it... well, they have no business owning a gun. His or her reckless negligence puts innocent people in danger.

Yeah, sometimes people make mistakes. But there are easy, deterministic methods for clearing a gun. There are no excuses for a ND.

It's not friendly to say, but NDs are a short step away from a drug overdose on the stupid scale. The person had it coming to him, and only he is to blame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Background: I've owned two LEM guns (P2000 9mm, P2000sk .40), two Glocks (26 and 30), and now a P99c AS. I've never shot a QA, but dry fired them in the shop.

The QA has a shorter pull. If the reset was any shorter than the AS, it wouldn't matter unless you were an expert shooter. It's that short. I can't tell you which one is shorter, but I highly doubt that the QA is appreciably shorter.

The LEM trigger is light, like 4-5lb light, for most of the stroke. Only when the trigger is 90% or so back do you feel the 8lb resistance. The QA is a Glock-style trigger, but with a dumb, dangerous decocker. There should be nothing on any gun that does what the QA's decocker does.

The DA pull of the AS is going to be long like the LEM. If you want the first shot to be a relatively short pull, you want a Glock-style trigger.

The AS is a damn fine DA/SA trigger. The QA, to me, wasn't as good as the Glock or XD trigger.
mr.rx:

So the QA has a noticably shorter pull than the AS, and around the same reset length as the AS?
If so, that's what I want!

·
Registered
174 Posts
The P990 and P99 DAO have a consistent trigger pull and lack the decock button found on the QA. Longer, stronger pull though.......I wish Walther made a P99 set up exactly like the SW990L.

·
Registered
70 Posts
mt rx i can now see where you are coming from, and agree with you there, however i did find the decocker valuable for disassembly when I did not want to dry-fire...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I now own both the AS & QA. Fact is, it all comes down to a question of taste. Everyone's got their own idea of what's comfortable. The trigger on "my" QA was freakin' shameful. Had I spent $1,200 (yes, that's what it costs for a new P-99 up here in Canada) on a brand new P-99 just to be subjected to the gawdawful trigger of a QA, I'd be pissed! The trigger action was so atrocious, my trigger finger decided it'd had enuf after 2-3 mags of shooting. Yet after following the instructions posted by Jonturboguy on this great forum, I'm now in love with this gun. Whereas before I couldn't even hit a 6" target at 10 yards, I can now group around 2-3" at the same distance.
On the other hand, the AS pretty well shoots great outta the box. I've got a minor glitch with it right now, but I seem to be the exceptuion rather than the rule. That's the story of my life, unfortunately:D

Oh, one other thing. The decocker on the QA is indeed intended for disassembly only. But I purchased the QA expressly because of this decocker. This handgun was purchased primarily as a home defence weapon. By racking the slide on a full mag and then decocking it, the gun's useless in the hands of kids as well as inexperienced or unaquainted/unauthorized persons. Pulling the trigger does nothing.
By simply (and quietly) pulling back the slide a mere 3/8", I've recocked and readied the gun. Yes, I could just as easily leave the gun on an empty chamber. But I really doubt I could quietly rack the slide back completely and let it snap forward with a live round as is necessary in order to ensure that the slide has gone completely back into battery.
The decocker on an AS simply dumps the hammer back into DA mode.
All this is my opinion, by the way. I don't have any proof that my theory is worth the electricity needed to run my pc as I typed this out;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
just to elaborate on the decocker on the QA. I think I read somewher that the AS must be decocked prior to remove the slide to strip it down. I imagine that it would also be mandatory in the QA version. It seems that when the P99 is cocked there is something in the way that gets rubbed when taking the slide out. someone posted to ask if he had damaged his p99 after trying to remove the slide of his P99 when it was cocked.

Sorry if this is not entirely accurate. Please correct me if I am wrong

Plus, i find what Johnathan007 says, as some very good side advantages.

regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts