Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kind of new but I have read most of the posts on here. I am thinking of getting a p99 QA .40 with the .357 sig conversion, hoag slip on rubber grip and meprolight night sighs. I am just curious about the p99 QA. I was thinking were can I get that QA with all german marking? Does meprolights offer any other colors rather then all green? Also when I do get the .357 sig coversion, will I need a gun smith to install it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Several thoughts...

Re the QA version: Think about this choice. If you get the regular model it can function like a QA by simply not decocking it after chambering the round. If you do decock it is not difficult to go from DA to SA. See the Walther USA P99 Tech data trigger charts to evaluate the trigger differences. The QA has a shorter legnth of pull (about 1/4 inch) but requires about 7 pounds pull while the traditional Double Action and Single Action each require about 5&2/3rds pounds, with about 2/3rds inch and 1/3 inch pulls.

Slip on Grip: Maybe not needed as the grip is stippled and the backstrap can be changed to fit your hand.

Night sights: Do not know about the colors. I think the color is not very visible under darkness. Human eyes tend to drop color preception in darkness and see things in light or dark. In light they look white. Under fading light they may be green.

All German in the 40 cal: Personally I do not believe there is a cents real difference between the S&W and the Walther quality in the products. Others disagree. But if the pistol has a 6 as the second digit in the serial number the slide should be made by S&W. All frames should be German made.
Some Collectors favor the German name, which I understand, but for practical uses it should not matter.

357 Sig conversion barrel (from Bar-Sto): It will probably need fitting as a practical matter. Expect it and you will not be disappointed. But, it is a real match barrel and gives better accuracy than the factory 40 cal barrel in my experience. Use the 40 cal magazines. Some hi caps are still available for a premium.

With all that let me add that I believe the P99 is the finest duty and defense pistol being made today bar none. The current S&W version has a better rail system at this time.
A survey of Glock shooters at GlockTalk.com indicated that aside from the Glock, the favorite (non-Glock) pistol of the board contributors were the H&K P7 and the Walther P99. The opinion was overwhelming. That first made me consider buying a P99.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chip

your info on not decocking and it will be like the qa couldnt be more wrong...the qa is a DOUBLE action trigger, while leaving the regular p99 cocked would be in single action, very different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts