Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Mythbusters episode yesterday (recorded on ReplayTV, not sure if it was the most recent one) where the were shooting at a pig carcas to see if it would fly back like bodies tend to do in the movies.

Surprise surprise, it did not. Only shotgun blasts would drop it off the 'hook' which was so sensitive that anyone could knock the carcass off with a decent sidekick or push.

Despite the fact that they had SWAT experts doing the range mastering they didn't talk much about bullet types. Quite a few went right through the meaty part of the pig, something I wouldn't expect with decent hollow points.

The other 'oops' was their contention that to throw someone several feet with a bullet impact the shooter has to be thrown back the same amount. Cute but that only holds if both shooter and shootee are in the same position and frame of mind. If a shooter is prone with feel dug in and the shootee is standing up not expecting to be shot you can expect a larger reaction than if things are reversed.

Of course the basic premise holds. You can't expect to 'stop' a 200 Lb man running at you with a few rounds of any handheld weapon. You can only inhibit his ability to keep on running by destroying his insides (energy production), support (bones) and control (brain/spine). After that gravity will pull him to the ground where friction will absorb the rest of his kinetic energy.

Still, it's always fun when they shoot things on the show. Like when they shot at full gas tanks (nice little holes, no exposions) and when they tested bullet proofness of various items like pocket bibles and zippo lighters.

Chabot range, where they film this, is close by. I haven't been there yet though. Doesn't hurt either that they have the two Mythtern girls shoot as well. Kari is cute as a button, especially when she fires a gun!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'll bet that pig was dead after the first shot!

(just like he was dead after the last shot)

Really, if you think about it, handguns just make holes anyway... I was shot through he shoulder during an in home violent invasion (check my profile below for the story), and I didn't even know it for awhile. Didn't slow me down a bit...
That's why we are always hearing about bullet placement, accuracy, etc... If your going to make holes, make them where they count... And a bunch of them might help too, eh?

I didn't get to see the show, liked to have though...
Sounds like you better make it over to that range Nocturnal.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hal, sorry to hear you got to experience first hand what it's like to get shot. Glad you seem to have overcome it ok though (haven't read your profile yet, will later).

Indeed, handguns just make holes. In fact longarms do too but apparently the effect of a super sonic projectile is so much more severe than a subsonic that there's really no comparison. The shockwave ripples through the water of the body that gets hit and causes distruction far beyond the wound cavity. Gruesome but that's how it is. Hence I'm interested in getting an FN FiveSeven at some point. It's also one of the reasons I just picked up a Mosin Nagant M38. Apparently that bad boy has a barrel that's a tad short for the rather big 7.62x54R so it spits fire balls. Can't wait to try that!

If there's interest I can pull that MB episode of my ReplayTV and post a Divx version somewhere.

·
Registered
471 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ Feb. 21 2005,11:15)]If there's interest I can pull that MB episode of my ReplayTV and post a Divx version somewhere.
That's nice Nocturnal, but I'm not sure that with my old computer, or my slow connection (21600bps), it would do me any good. I can't speak for anyone else... I don't even know what a Divxyz is!

I'll say this though, I'd give it a jolly good try!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd be happy to upload that sucker. Divx away!

PS: Divx is a codec... which just means it's a file format you can play on your Windows Media player once you've uploaded the code to interpret the format.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I made a clip. It's in avi/divx/mp3 format. I trust you know how to play that type of media. Get the divx codec at http://www.divx.com

http://www.ammotracker.com/video/StoppingPower-vdub2.avi

Please excuse the slow download speeds. Feel free to report to me how long it took to download. My provider (idiots) claim it's on my side when all the proof indicates they are throttling on their end. Oh well.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you enjoyed it! I think Kari is totally hot even if she's a vegitarian. I was pretty impressed that she shot that 700 (or whatever it was) in .308. And Scottie going at it at full-auto wasn't bad either. It pays to have friends in law enforcement who don't mind sharing the goodies!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts