Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up this nice Walther PP, .32 ACP, police trade in made in 1960. Has matching magazine (last 3 numbers of serial number stamped on magazine).

Looking for information on these grips. Never seen any with the lower left rear cut out. No logos on the grips and I am assuming they are some kind of aftermarket grip.

(Mysterious cut out on lower left grip)

Have some new Mecgar magazines coming. Also, took it to the range and got a quarter size group at 15 yards. Very, very nice gun and will fill my void until I can find an affordable German made, PPK in .32. (Had one when I was a city police officer in 1965. Paid $50 for it. Oh well :).

Thanks for any info,

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don’t know about the cut out but I have a 1960 Manurhin marked police issued PP .32 with the same grips. I don’t think they are after market as I have seen others.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Your picture doesn’t show well enough on my phone for me to be sure, but is that police stamp a crossed-out ByP cartouche?

The left grip looks sawed off by hand. The only explanation would be that these grips used to be on a PP with side loop for a lanyard.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well, these were obviously made in some factory, but if we have them on both Manurhin- and Walther/Ulm-marked guns, the question would be which one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just saw one listed on gunbroker that is identical to yours. They say it is a Swedish Police issue.
Interesting.

I just installed a set of new factory black plastic grips on it that I got from Numrich. Looks and feels great. Keeping the grips that came on this gun in the box along with the stock magazines.

Will use two new Mecgar mags for range use.

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just saw one listed on gunbroker that is identical to yours. They say it is a Swedish Police issue.
In which way is it identical? Style of no-logo grips? Cut-off left panel? The Swedish police models usually have the centered lanyard loop mounted behind the magazine well, so normally wouldn’t need to mutilate a panel. They also usually have a Swedish inscription on the right forward frame, although not all.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Identical gun on gunbroker Item #774939286
Indeed, No doubt those are the same grips. The gun has the Swedish police stamping, and it has the heel loop; it almost looks like the cut is meant to uncover the pin. That’s not necessary on the factory grips; see this Swedish PP with the loop and the proprietary Manurhin grips:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781486425

Trooper Joe, can you confirm or show a close-up of what the police stamping on your gun is?

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Walther PP pistols don't need, and don't have, a lanyard loop in that location, and this pistol is no exception.

The less exotic but more probable explanation is that somebody dropped the gun, broke off the corner of the grip, and dressed it off to smooth the edge.

M

·
Registered
862 Posts
Nice example Metra. But the OP's frame only shows one hole for the pin and not two by your example.
My take is the pistol never had a loop and the grips are originals for one that has the loop and installed on his pistol.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The less exotic but more probable explanation is that somebody dropped the gun, broke off the corner of the grip, and dressed it off to smooth the edge.

M
The obviously improvised nature of the cut would make that likely IF it weren’t for the second pistol on GB with the same non-standard style of grips and the same cut. For a coincidence that’s too far out.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Okay, so somebody broke the original left grip and replaced it with a surplus one clearly incorrect for that pistol.

Mounting a lanyard loop on the left side has to be the hard way 'round. Walther manufactured, and offered a bottom-mounted lanyard loop that replaced the hammer spring plug with no alterations to the pistol.

M

·
Registered
499 Posts
Okay, so somebody broke the original left grip and replaced it with a surplus one clearly incorrect for that pistol.
M
Yes, these are obviously incorrect, but they are also definitely a thing. And they all seem to appear on non-factory brown plastic grips, so they might go back to one source.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts