Walther Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Walther PPK .380 DA trigger pull

9K views 75 replies 19 participants last post by  Jimmo952 
#1 ·
seems very heavy, what is the factory pull in DA for the .380 PPK? I've read 13.4 lbs. but this seems quite heavier, maybe as much a 20 lbs. The SA pull is great, no issues - i know the PPK is known to have a heavy DA pull, is there a way for me to gauge my pull, most trigger pull gauges max out around 12-13 lbs. and im sure this one is much more

would a lighter hammer strut spring be advisable, Wolff has 14,15,16, and 17 lbs springs

thx

-Richard

#2 ·
All of mine seem to have a "heavy" DA pull that is smooth. However if I quickly pull the trigger on DA (rather than trying to stage it) the pull seems much easier. I've never changed a hammer strut spring because to do so you have to find the sweet spot between a lighter DA pull and reliable ignition. Consequently, I just stay with the stock hammer strut spring while also occasionally practicing DA shots.

#8 ·
I have a LOL moment when I read about this "007 hype." Long before the first James Bond movie, thousands of GI's sought out PPK & PP pistols (and P-38 & Luger pistols) to bring home. The classic lines of this pistol were well known and made it a highly sought after war trophy. When the Bond series came along the PP series was a perfect fit, but the fame of the PP series came first and stood on its own merit.

#9 ·
seems very heavy...would a lighter hammer strut spring be advisable, Wolff has 14,15,16, and 17 lbs springs
The DA trigger on the PPK is notorious for being heavy. That's the price to be paid for operating an old design. You can try experimenting with a spring kit. Another trick would be to polish the hammer strut so the mainspring doesn't bind on it. If none of that works out for you then it might be necessary to send it to a gunsmith.

Not a Glock fan.
There's also Sig Forum, HKPro, and a bunch of others. We like our PPK's here and will continue to enjoy them into the 21st century.

#20 ·
I have a recent production Ft Smith Walther PPK/S and I can confirm that the DA trigger pull on it is easily 50 lbs. No, maybe not quite that much but it has a very stout pull. Pretty much renders the need for a manual safety superfluous, IMO. It's as heavy as virtually any J-frame, at least.

I will say it is a very smooth pull though. After you get past the 2,000 lb initial wall the trigger moves along nicely.

Why would I purchase such a pistol in 2021? Style. PPK has it. A Glock doesn't. That's regardless of how much better the Glock is 'tactically speaking'.

99~% of gun owners are going to spend very little time actually shooting their CCW gun in defensive use - if they ever do at all. There are statistics out there that suggest that a gun, any gun is often all it takes to protect yourself. I think a PPK will do the trick.

Min/maxxing the best stats and efficiency on a CCW firearm is an interesting academic exercise but of little practical use. I always wonder if the folks so worried about a choice of firearm give as much attention to the type and condition of the tires and brakes on their vehicles. I suspect not.

If you aren't a fan of the PPK that is fine.

#21 ·
I have a recent production Ft Smith Walther PPK/S and I can confirm that the DA trigger pull on it is easily 50 lbs.
That's interesting. The one I handled at my LGS had a lighter and smoother trigger than my 90's vintage Interarms.

I always wonder if the folks so worried about a choice of firearm give as much attention to the type and condition of the tires and brakes on their vehicles. I suspect not.
I use the same analogy when talking to people except I use nutrition or reading their insurance policies.

#22 ·
Two very classy .380s

The Beretta Pico is the 'modern' micro .380 that Walther should have produced. Ambi-paddle mag release. It even has the HUGE P99/PPQ style extractor.

Sometimes I like to turn off the lights and pretend my Beretta is actually German. ;)

...and for the record, I run Michellen Cross Climate 2's. Just got new ones before the first frost hits.

#25 ·
Weak hands and wrists... problem solved.
Squeeze your blue balls and do rollups daily. ;)

Sig P238 HD
Colt Plus II
I like all steel guns.

I made some grips for our P238s that feel like you're holding a revolver. Palm swell and thumb rest and tweaking it as time permits.

7 round mag fits flush, pinky plastic removed, and wish they made a quality 8 rounder as I like short barrels and long grips, chock full of ammo, for boat work/fishing.

This Officer just has longer slabs with an adaptor for the 8 round McCormick mags or other quality mags.
Prototype Adaptor, in glass/epoxy, is held by the grips and will give it to the code writing kids in the clan to see about making them in metal.

Gotta love arts & crafts with guns. :D
X Frame stocks have priority as it's no fun with grips that don't fit or allow for a high hold.
Two hand guns deserve a place for both hands.
Made in wood that doesn't fracture at the backstrap.
Fun project almost completed.

Our S&Walther 380s run without issues and if you load your own with heavy bullets, 115gr-120gr HC, FMJ and XTPs, hot but accurate, they be Mini9s. :D
N320 or BE.

Wood Door Gas Metal Pipe

Wood Hunting knife Everyday carry Knife Gun accessory

Fixture Rectangle Window Wood Tints and shades

#28 ·
thank you for all the replies gents - this is my first Walther and quite honestly i love it - i think imma just leave it alone and not change out anything, i'll work the hammer strut spring with the trigger and see if it loosens up any - having onset arthritis in my hands, fingers and joints doesn't make it any easier but i'll deal with it

thx

#29 ·
Thanks for asking. (y)
I'll post some pics next week that will give you all an idea of the process to that goal and it's current state.
RT

I documented the development of two styles of X Frame grips to fit my hands over the past couple of years.
You'd be surprised how a millimeter added or removed makes something Wunderbar.

Check this link by a serious 460 shooter.
Ruggyh might have about 100k downrange by now.

#31 · (Edited)
Aside from experimenting with different hammer-springs, if your pistol has a grooved trigger, you might consider replacing it with a smooth trigger. They turn up on eBay quite regularly. With the heavy pull, it gives me a much more comfortable trigger-finger!
Photos showing trigger-pin removal & installation tool I made from 3/16"aluminum pop-rivet, the original grooved trigger from my German-import PPK/S, and smooth trigger installed.

Mark D.

Handwriting Gesture Rectangle Font Writing
Wood Material property Auto part Hardwood Metal
Audio equipment Wood Tints and shades Metal Gas

#36 ·
if your pistol has a grooved trigger, you might consider replacing it with a smooth trigger...With the heavy pull, it makes for a much more comfortable trigger-finger!
The opposite is true for me. I find that on a gun with a heavy trigger, a grooved trigger face helps lock my finger in to position. With a smooth trigger face my finger squirms around and I start to loose leverage as I struggle with keeping it in place.

#38 ·
Congrats on your recent purchase ! I purchased my Ft. Smith PPK last Nov. Love the weapon, but disappointed in the sharp edge of the frame along either side of the grips. No slide bite but definitely have crease marks after firing a few mags. Been researching after-market grips but still undecided. Let me know if you experience similar discomfort, and find a solution. Regards Steve

#42 · (Edited)
In an effort to reduce the .380 blowback recoil, I found aftermarket grips on eBay for my two late '70s German import PPK/S.
The light colored grip was actually for one of the fatter-grip US built versions, and cost only $20, including shipping. I did had to shave it down so it matched the pistol's backstrap as closely as possible. I don't remember the brand, but It performed decently at the range.
The dark grips on my second PPK/S were made by Altamont. I got them for about $30. They fit my pistol, but the rear of the grips had a pronounced uncomfortable edge, which I shaved and rounded off.
I haven't yet had a chance to try this one at the range.
I also have an early '70s 7.65 PP, with standard grips I'm looking forward to testing at the range.

Mark D.

Wood Trigger Air gun Wood stain Fluid
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver
Air gun Trigger Wood Font Gun barrel

#41 ·
A comment from the country of origin of the PP and PPK:
In Germany, both pistols are now considered obsolete and out of date, mainly because of the two calibers 7.65mm and 9mm kurz.
A PP or a PPK are possibly still bought by gun collectors or by sport shooters who shoot a discipline for old service weapons, but not by someone who needs a pistol for self-defense or as a hunter for the finishing shot.
In this respect, I have to agree with @lana_sands for Germany.

#44 ·
A comment from the country of origin of the PP and PPK:
In Germany, both pistols are now considered obsolete and out of date, mainly because of the two calibers 7.65mm and 9mm kurz.
A PP or a PPK are possibly still bought by gun collectors or by sport shooters who shoot a discipline for old service weapons, but not by someone who needs a pistol for self-defense or as a hunter for the finishing shot.
In this respect, I have to agree with @lana_sands for Germany.
Just curious...

What about the calibers is obsolete? Are those very difficult to obtain in Germany?
Since when is a .380 or .32 insufficient for a finishing shot?
Would a relatively modern Glock42 (380) be also be obsolete due to caliber considerations?

#46 ·
Heh... that's sort of what I thought... although I wouldn't necessarily believe a manufacturer's claims at face value (they do have a financial incentive, after all).

Was very curious how the conclusion that the pistol was considered obsolete in Germany came to be. Did the German government make a press release? Did they survey German sportshooters and hunters? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.