Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems very heavy, what is the factory pull in DA for the .380 PPK? I've read 13.4 lbs. but this seems quite heavier, maybe as much a 20 lbs. The SA pull is great, no issues - i know the PPK is known to have a heavy DA pull, is there a way for me to gauge my pull, most trigger pull gauges max out around 12-13 lbs. and im sure this one is much more

would a lighter hammer strut spring be advisable, Wolff has 14,15,16, and 17 lbs springs

thx

-Richard

·
Registered
256 Posts
All of mine seem to have a "heavy" DA pull that is smooth. However if I quickly pull the trigger on DA (rather than trying to stage it) the pull seems much easier. I've never changed a hammer strut spring because to do so you have to find the sweet spot between a lighter DA pull and reliable ignition. Consequently, I just stay with the stock hammer strut spring while also occasionally practicing DA shots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sigh..... folks keep chasing the darn PPK. Time for Century 21. There are better guns today.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sigh..... folks keep chasing the darn PPK. Time for Century 21. There are better guns today.

One doesn't seek a PPK for it's 21st century design, they seek it for it's classic design of old time craftmanship and mechanical preciseness.
21st century guns are a dime a dozen, PPK's aren't.
Sorry you don't get this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
"Classic design." In engineering, we call that obsolete heavy triggered boat anchor. Living on 007 hype past It's prime. We have micro 9mm Paras with more power, capacity and less weight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
"Classic design." In engineering, we call that obsolete heavy triggered boat anchor. Living on 007 hype past It's prime. We have micro 9mm Paras with more power, capacity and less weight.

Then why don't you head over there or maybe the Glock forum for that matter?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a LOL moment when I read about this "007 hype." Long before the first James Bond movie, thousands of GI's sought out PPK & PP pistols (and P-38 & Luger pistols) to bring home. The classic lines of this pistol were well known and made it a highly sought after war trophy. When the Bond series came along the PP series was a perfect fit, but the fame of the PP series came first and stood on its own merit.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
seems very heavy...would a lighter hammer strut spring be advisable, Wolff has 14,15,16, and 17 lbs springs
The DA trigger on the PPK is notorious for being heavy. That's the price to be paid for operating an old design. You can try experimenting with a spring kit. Another trick would be to polish the hammer strut so the mainspring doesn't bind on it. If none of that works out for you then it might be necessary to send it to a gunsmith.

Not a Glock fan.
There's also Sig Forum, HKPro, and a bunch of others. We like our PPK's here and will continue to enjoy them into the 21st century.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Agree it's a heavy DA trigger, but that's more a function of the design as opposed to the age of the design. One could also argue that the heavy DA trigger is most appropriate given its intended purpose as a "ready to go" pocket/concealed pistol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I carry my Walther PPK/s everyday.

for men weight isn’t an issue.

PPK is a mans gun. That’s why if your not a fan of the PPK, we reserve the lighter guns to you women. Lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice macho bs...

The slide is hard to pull back on the PPK.

it’s not the gun for everyone, you gotta have strength to pull it back.

Ever try that gun called the EZ? Meaning “Easy”

might be more of the gun for you since you said there is better guns. Just a suggestion. It’s more of a 21st century design.. lol

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a recent production Ft Smith Walther PPK/S and I can confirm that the DA trigger pull on it is easily 50 lbs. No, maybe not quite that much but it has a very stout pull. Pretty much renders the need for a manual safety superfluous, IMO. It's as heavy as virtually any J-frame, at least.

I will say it is a very smooth pull though. After you get past the 2,000 lb initial wall the trigger moves along nicely.

Why would I purchase such a pistol in 2021? Style. PPK has it. A Glock doesn't. That's regardless of how much better the Glock is 'tactically speaking'.

99~% of gun owners are going to spend very little time actually shooting their CCW gun in defensive use - if they ever do at all. There are statistics out there that suggest that a gun, any gun is often all it takes to protect yourself. I think a PPK will do the trick.

Min/maxxing the best stats and efficiency on a CCW firearm is an interesting academic exercise but of little practical use. I always wonder if the folks so worried about a choice of firearm give as much attention to the type and condition of the tires and brakes on their vehicles. I suspect not.

If you aren't a fan of the PPK that is fine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts