Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi community, I am a new member in the community. I'm 40 years old and have Never own any weapon before. I recently bought the "Walther Semi-Automatic PPX Pistol." I will rely on you experts for guidance in helping me with this very intimidating machine. Please help me get to understand this gun and how to use it correctly...

Thanks guys

Bestman :)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Good choice! First things first!

The Four Basic Rules of Gun Safety:

1. Treat all guns as loaded!
  2. Always point the gun in a safe direction!
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire!
  4. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it!
Proper grip:

Proper placement of trigger finger (squeeze, don't pull):

Proper stance:

Focus on the front sight:

And use sight image 3:

Obviously wear proper hearing and eye protection and don't wear a low-cut tank top ;)

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
Kar nailed it.....however, in the first picture, nail polish is optional. Now, go the the range and get some 'one on one', personal instruction.

edit: I'll just add this. I went to the optometrist yesterday to get a new prescription for shooting glasses. These glasses will be used specifically for shooting one of my 'red dot' optic equipped pistols. What I need for this is simply both eyes corrected for distance. So today, I dropped by Walmart, picked out some fashionable safety glasses and they'll be ground with the 'distance correction' in the upper and they'll also put the bi-focals in the lower portion. Can't wait to get these back and go to the range, as I've been busy messin' around with my red dot pistols and I'm sure I need to do a little tweaking.

It goes without saying that 'you need to be able to clearly see your sights'.....it also helps to be able to see the target. With the above glasses and one of my red dot equipped pistols, I'll be able to CLEARLY see the target and the 'optical red dot'.

I've got another pair of safety glasses ground for 'mono vision', where the right eye is focused on the sights and the left eye is focused on infinity (distance). These glasses work great for open sights.....although they DO kinda mess with my head a little bit.

At 40 years of age, most people are needing glasses. A pair of dedicated, prescription shooting glasses can make a difference.....so don't forget to add a pair to your range bag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my first hand-gun

Kar, thanks for the excellent instructions, I deeply appreciate it. I also appreciate your advice Ima...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome to the shooting community. Now go out and get to know your gun. Get comfortable with it and shooting. Seek out some training if you care to. Once you join you are never the same again. You will wonder why you did not start this earlier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please do not be offended by this - get some training. It is no shame to be new and untrained, but a mistake can harm or kill someone. Some mistakes are not obvious to the newcomer.

The safety rules posted above are true, You can do anything that you need to do with your pistol without ever pointing the muzzle in an unsafe direction. Practice that always. Instructors have a bad habit of teaching these rules but then violating them. I've had pistols pointed at me in a couple of classes!

Welcome. Find a class or an experienced friend. Shoot your gun a lot. Always think about the rules. Before you put your gun away think about how you must point it when you retrieve it. When you walk around with your pistol think about where it is pointed, think about where your finger might go if you trip. Learn your gun and then think about how you will store it - loaded or unloaded? It is probably best to train for a while before storing it loaded. Who else in your family might find it? Anyone depressive or suicidal or untrustworthy? Hint - teenage boys will find it. It should be locked. This includes good boys. Your kids need to know that you will let them shoot it, but they must never touch it without you around. I would still lock it up. Your kids need to know that telling a friend about the gun can make your house a target for robbery. Telling a teacher or social worker or doctor about your gun is stupid in most areas.

I'm not paranoid. I teach kids the shooting sports. I have kids (now grown). I was a kid in the era when no one had a gun safe. I saw kids do stupid stuff. Smart kids. A Boy Scout camp counselor who I admired told us, "If a friend ever gets his dad's gun out leave." I left. I want your kids to be safe. I want them to grow up enjoying the shooting sports. I want you to have a gun if you ever need one for self defense.

Asking questions is a sign of maturity. You are on the right track. All the best!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first Handgun

Pon, you are an expert and experience coach. Your advice was very informative as well as educational. Thanks so much for such powerful and meaningful advice and instruction.

I bought a safe from Harbor four months ago and the Walther is in there unloaded and safe. I work at a very large hospital in the City and need to schedule some time off to start shooting the PPX at the gun range. I also need to find a good instructor that knows about this PPX and show me how to handle it and clean it if I ever need to.

I have been watching some YouTube videos on the PPX and I am very impress with the weapon performance. Do you know where I can buy the accessories for the PPX?

Thanks team :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you know where I can buy the accessories for the PPX?

Thanks team :)
CDNN had the best price on magazines when I bought mine. I like to shoot steel targets so I wanted five magazines. You may not want so many. Cabelas, Midway, Sportsman's Guide and Field and Stream all may have equal or better prices.

I'd only buy a holster where I can try it out on my belt - that means in person at a gun store. If the gun store is nice enough to let me open the package and try the holster I would never say, "Thanks" and then walk out and buy the same holster on line for $15 less.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pondoro, that is EXCELLENT advice. Bestman40, I am glad you read it.
Get instruction (I would suggest a certified instructor, just because your friend has owned guns since he was a kid, doesn't mean he knows what he is doing. But then some "instructors" don't either), and practice. Just because you took a class once doesn't mean you are done. The more you shoot, and the more instruction you get, the more you will realize how little you knew (back when you thought you "had it down")
Pondoro's advice about boys is dead on. Take a class with your boy.

Be safe, shoot well, have fun.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Don't waste money on a Blue PPX mold. Just use the gun itself. Saran wrap will keep the gun dry during wet molding. Those molds are for professionals so they don't have to buy real guns.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Some good advice here. when you first start shooting, you could get easily intimidated/discouraged. This is just human nature. Not only would I shoot with a firearms knowledgeable person, I would also start you out up close and personal to the target. I've seen many of new shooters start at 25 yards and work their way in. Even good shooters have problems at this distance. If I took you to the range, we would probably start at a couple of yards and work our way back. Have to see how the firearm and shooter performs, where it hits and continue from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good choice! First things first!

The Four Basic Rules of Gun Safety:

1. Treat all guns as loaded!
  2. Always point the gun in a safe direction!
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire!
  4. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it!
Being picky here but the second, though it makes sense, is never point the gun
at something you are not prepared to destroy.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Piss poor image of proper grip.

Weak hand wrist should extended down (over center), this points the thumb at target (placing the thumb on the frame near front of trigger guard).

In the extended wrist position, the after discharge "return from recoil" wrist rebound will put the barrel back on target.

When the wrist is not extended, the result is barrel oscillation, and time spent adjusting sight placement for follow up shots.

If the weak hand thumb is not pointing at target, you're doing it wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lazer/Flashlight

Hi there Pon,

Five months later and I still have not started with my PPX yet. I need to purchase some shells for the magazines. I also like to purchase the lazer/flashlight combo but not sure what size rail is below the PPX. Can you please stair me toward the best type of bullets I can use for target shooting at the range and rail size for the PPX?

Thanks Chief...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not Pondoro, but maybe I can help anyway.

The PPX comes in 2 possibilities for cartridges; 9mm or .40. Look at the barrel and it'll tell you what you need. Take that information to a local gun shop and they'll set you up. What the ammo box says and what is printed on the barrel should match. But just to confuse things, 9mm Parabellum is also known as 9mm Luger, and probably has a few more names I can't remember at this time. A gun shop will set you up with the right stuff. You definitely want to ask for ammo, ammunition, cartridges, or rounds. Pet peeve of mine... bullets are what comes out of the barrel and not what makes the bang. A story. A buddy of mine had recently gotten a 9mm Parabellum handgun and he and I went to a gun show. He wandered off by himself and came back happy as a clam telling me what a great deal he got on "bullets". Then proceeded to show me a box of 100 bullets. Bullets are the projectiles that come out of the barrel and are missing the cartridge case, primer and powder. They were also sized for some Iron Curtain cartridge, I don't remember precisely what it was (9mm Makarov?). He was able to return them, but you need to be precise when asking for things. Locally if someone asks for bullets they'll generally ask if you're reloading or want cartridges. Thank hellywood for that bit of confusion. Use the right terminology and get a step up in recognition that you actually know something. It'll be lost on most people but gun folks will recognize your accuracy and you gain credibility points if you use the proper terms. It's one way I separate the online armchair commandos from the folks who actually know something.

For target work you want the least expensive ammo you can get. It just needs to go bang and cycle the gun. That will probably be Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) or "Ball" ammo. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the PPX has polygonal rifling, so you don't want to use bullets (that's the projectile and not the cartridge) that aren't coated with something so that the lead doesn't rub on the barrel walls. That coating can be polymer, or copper, but the bullet should be coated, plated, or jacketed with something.

Any laser/light that fits a Picatinny rail will fit your rail. It's a standard in the industry and all Picatinny rails are the same size. But my suggestion is to learn how to use the sights before even mounting the laser/light. You need the basics and not get involved in buying "stuff". Shooting is a skill set and not throwing money into doodads. Right now you need to learn and practice fundamentals. Too, if you intend to use the handgun for home defense remember safety rule #2, the one that Bunk writes of. The light on a gun is a last ditch effort for final target identification before the shot is fired and it's not to be used for casual target ID. A separate light is used for that. The gun is never pointed at anything you do not intend to destroy and your laser/light connected to the gun is definitely pointed at things when in use.

Have you contacted your local range to see if they have a gent assigned to give instruction (or contact the NRA)? I wouldn't have a well meaning but otherwise inexpert friend instruct you. You want someone who actually knows the right way to show you. Yeah, I know everyone knows how to shoot a handgun (they don't!). They confuse discharging a handgun with knowing how to instruct in the proper use. I'm a certified instructor and every guy who claims to know "all about handguns" doesn't in my experience. It doesn't take 5 minutes to figure out that they were lying about their experience. They generally have all sorts of excuses as to why they aren't "up to snuff" on that particular day. The truth is that they inflated their expertise. When you get instruction be honest, you can't BS an instructor anyway and get away with it. Telling the truth will gain you points in respect. (You've done good in that so far)

Now get out and shoot it! :) It's not doing you any good to possess the PPX and not know how to use it.

Let us know how it goes for you. You'll probably have more questions so come back and ask them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bestman,

Assuming your PPX is a 9mm then it is easy - but as BJK says make sure you buy shells, cartridges or "ammo", not "bullets." I had a kid show up at camp with a brand new 9mm pistol and a box of 9mm bullets - needless to say they were not useful. 9mm ammo is plentiful - Walmart, Cabela's, Dick's Sporting Goods, all carry it. Midway, Cabela's and Cheaper than Dirt will ship it to your house if you do not live close to them.

If the gun is a 40 it is the same, but there is less selection out there. The technical name is ".40 Smith and Wesson" since Smith commercialized that round.

In either case I would start with full metal jacket bullets - sometimes the box will say "FMJ" for full metal jacket. These are cheap and function reliably (more reliably than hollow points in most guns). 9mm FMJ usually have round noses, 40 are round with a flat tip.

A "Picatiny Rail" is a standard, and any laser site or light meant for a pistol should fit your gun. (Lights and lasers meant for shotguns and rifles could be too big).

I agree that learning to use the standard open sights is a good first step. Lasers can fail and cheap lasers are not useful in strong sunlight. I taught a class in July and a woman had a revolver with a laser, but the sun was so bright we could hardly see it. The open sights were necessary. It was funny - when you sighted using the open sights you would sometimes see a "sparkle" of the laser, confirming that you had sighted correctly, but in general the laser was invisible.

I'm not a fan of flashlights on guns because of the temptation to use the gun as a flashlight, which means the muzzle is pointed at whatever you are looking at. There are lots of classes and books and training materials for using a separate flashlight in conjunction with a pistol. (I understand that gun mounted lights are popular, I just do not use them.)

You didn't say where you are located. Shooting ranges and gun clubs often offer classes. The NRA has an initiative asking members to mentor new shooters. Unfortunately we do a focusing better job focusing classes on children and adult women than we do on men, who are stereotyped as already trained.

If you are near Ohio I know lots of people to connect you with.

All the best in your new endeavor!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Information

Hey there Pon,
thanks for replying my message, I truly appreciate it. I have been so busy at the job and have not had the time to get the extras for my pistol. With the information from BJK and you, I will certainly head out and get these items. I read something in a gun magazine that said, the HTP Remington Hollow Points bullets or the Hornady Critical Defense FTX bullets are good, also is the Federal 124grn hydro shack good as well for the PPX?

Thanks Chief,
Best man...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts