Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a used p22 for the kids, first time out with out with it, the slide cracked. We immediately went back to the dealer, who will contact Walther on Monday. It seems from my too little, too late research we probably will have to take the refund he offered as it's probably too old to be under warranty.

Very disappointed to have this happen the same day we bought it. Until we noticed the crack, we had planned on purchasing a second one as it's a heck of a fun gun!

How frequently are the new models cracking? We can purchase a new one for $250 plus, but if this is a frequent problem, I don't need 2 potential unuseable firearms that only have a year warranty. I downloaded the owners manual and the p22 has a 1 year warranty, not the lifetime warranty. Are the slides still being made out of zinc? Would my kids ages 11 and 13 be better off with a ruger sr22?

Any suggestions for a cheap to run semi for kids just starting out with pistols?

Also, I have a ppq on order, being a lefty I really had my heart set on it, now I know about the slide issue, I'm feeling buyers remorse.

Wish I had found this forum under happier circumstances!

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
If the dealer offers all of your money back....take it. The pistol has a lifetime warranty regardless of what the manual says. Plenty of slides have broken on the original models. Walther will replace the slide. In about 2011 Walther came out with a revised P22 commonly referred to as the Q model. It has a thicker slide. You can tell the difference as the new model has three slots on the rail and the grip pattern and slide match the PPQ pistols.

Your choices for this type of pistol is the P22Q, Smith and Wesson M&P 22 compact, Ruger SR22. Walther makes a PPQ 22 which is probably a pretty good pistol. They also make an Umarex PPK in .22 that seems to work pretty well from reports here. Umarex Arnsberg makes the P22, CCP, PK 380, PPK/S ( fort smith) and some other pistols for other manufacturers. Duty quality Walthers are made in Ulm, Germany and are the PPQ series, P99 series and PPS models. M1911

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate all the info, spent some time browsing the forums and you guys sure know your stuff.
We live in the boonies so selection is catch as catch can, for example we have been looking for a .308 for the 13 year old. Went a couple of places and only found 1. It was nice but out the door Would be been about 750, too pricey for a kid just learning to hunt. He might have to spend another season slogging through the woods with mom's 20 gauge lol (or get a darn job)

I'm going to pass the info to the husband unit, let him figure out where we go from here. Our dealer is a great guy so it will all work out in the end.

I have a few more questions, mostly .22lr ammo/and kid friendly calibers, should I start a new thread?

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
If your dealer is less than enthusiastic, here's where to go to activate the lifetime warranty on the P22:

Walther Arms Inc.
7700 Chad Colley Blvd.
Fort Smith, AR 72916
(479) 242-8500
[email protected]

My advice: Get the 13-year-old a Ruger 10/22. Everybody should have one. It's a terrific rifle to learn on, as well as lean on.

You'll find a Sticky thread regarding ammo at the top of this section of the forum. The chances are good that you'll find answers to many of your questions by running a search ... but don't let that stop you from asking the questions, either here or in another thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My reply got eaten by my phone so I will give it another go. Original dealer did a nearly even exchange, we ended up with a new ruger sr22. I'm guessing we overpaid on the Original p22 but eh, it worked out. Made it a day out, went a few counties over to. A different dealer and put on layaway a S&W victory .22lr.

We tried out the ruger, had no ammo issues, even with some old bulk federal that's been sitting in a can for about a decade. Still prefer the trigger on the walther though. Original dealer said he has some new p22q's coming in soon for $250 so I might just give it another go.

It worked out in the end. Kids are happy they can now learn to shoot a pistol and not be stuck with just rifles.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
Regarding the Ruger. Make sure the bolt that holds the barrel to the frame is absolutely tight and remains so. Otherwise the frame will be damaged with the first shot. Also keep an eye on the take down lever....that is about the only problem the SR 22 has had. The slide can crush it which lets the slide fly downrange. Other than that folks seem to really enjoy the pistol. M1911

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Damn, what is it about this gun and the slides cracking?

I own a Walther PPK/S in .22LR which has a slide which is supposedly constructed for the exact same material, yet I haven't found a single report to date of one of them cracking after going on 3 years in circulation, so what on earth makes the PP22 so much more prone to cracking?

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
Poorly designed slide. 10 years down the road Walther attempted to address this issue with a redesigned slide which is thicker in certain areas but I believe some have cracked regardless. I note the similar Ruger SR22 with an aluminum slide has had some other issues but no fractured slides. M1911

·
Registered
208 Posts
Poorly designed slide. 10 years down the road Walther attempted to address this issue with a redesigned slide which is thicker in certain areas but I believe some have cracked regardless. I note the similar Ruger SR22 with an aluminum slide has had some other issues but no fractured slides. M1911
I have an old model P22 that I bought used. A couple week after buying it the slide cracked right behind the ejection port on that side. Actually a piece of it flew and landed on my hat brim. Walther replaced it with the new style slide in nickel finish. I have since put close to a thousand rounds thru it with no problems. When I first bought this gun off of gunbroker I thought it looked like it had been dropped and I think that is how the crack started. But they replaced it anyways.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
Twobits are you saying your slide cracked on the right side and below the ejection port? I'm not familiar with one showing up at the forums that has cracked on the right side. Most cracks have been just behind the muzzle cup, next some have cracked on the left side at the cutout for the slide hold open catch. I always figured that the hardened pin located there somehow weakened the slide. It seems to be common knowledge that the Q slide was beefed up although when I weight one compared to the original there isn't much change in the weight. I've also read a comment here and there that the alloy was changed. I have no information on that but the Q slides do seem to be holding up better than the originals....at least from what we read on the forums. Crete and I both cracked a frame one time on the narrow right side and at exactly the same spot. I've never read of any other pistols cracking there.

The truth is I've never broken a slide on six or more pistols that were shot a lot. On the other hand Pilkguns shot one of my old ones and the slide broke entirely in two and flew off with his first shot. I figure he must have a grip of steel and iron wrists. Yepper, Stateside Ft Smith will fix you right up. Glad it is working well for you. 1917

1 - 12 of 12 Posts