Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold a Zella Mehlis PPK some time ago and really missed having one in my collection. After saving up some side cash I was able to pick up this post war example in 7.65 cal. for a fair price and it's in excellent condition. Came with the box, sight tool, cleaning rod, instruction manual, and matching serial numbered test target. Pistol is an Interarms import and is dated as 1964 produduction. Only thing missing was a spare finger rest mag and I was able to get a Manhurin made one from about the same time period for a good price. I have since put about 30 rounds of 78 grain coated lead rounds that I handloaded and like my previously owned PPK it was a pleasure to shoot. From the looks of the pistol it seems that it was shot only a few times since new. I won't be putting too many rounds through it but it sure is tempting. This will go with my early sixties FN 1910 in 7.65 also.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the 'sight tool'? Are you referring to the loaded indicator removal tool?
Looks like a small two pronged pickle fork.
That is actually what it is for. I don't know why I put it down as a sight tool as it would be completely useless for that task. One thing I would like to ask is although the date on the pistol is 1964, the test target which is the original one that is serial numbered to the gun is dated August 14, 1963. Was this because it sat for a while after test firing and was finally stamped with the date before it left Germany, or possibly stamped after it was imported here? I don't know.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
One thing I would like to ask is although the date on the pistol is 1964, the test target which is the original one that is serial numbered to the gun is dated August 14, 1963. Was this because it sat for a while after test firing and was finally stamped with the date before it left Germany, or possibly stamped after it was imported here?
A two-digit date code (not the year itself) is part of the civil German proof on the frame and therefore it was applied before the gun has left Germany.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A two-digit date code (not the year itself) is part of the civil German proof on the frame and therefore it was applied before the gun has left Germany.
Not on this one. I've included a pic of the ejection port markings and the matching test target. I figure if it was '63 or '64 it would have had GD or GE marks respectively if they used that system. Only other proof markings are the eagle over N on the frame and slide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The gun was completed and factory test-fired in 1963; it was not fired and stamped by the Proof House until 1964. Nothing terribly unusual about that.

M

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Not on this one.
Yes, on this one too, of course. But you have to read and write carefully. On the frame, as your newest photo now clearly shows, there is no date "1964" as suggested in both earlier posts, but the date code "64". The two-digit code can consist of numbers or letters. From 1961 to 1976 Walther used numbers, then letters and in recent times it is numbers again.

By the way, the finger rest magazine shows the company name Manurhin. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! And thanks MGMike, for giving me the info I was looking for. Glad it is just something as simple as that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts