Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....

Ran 50 rounds through a demo gun today and was very, very impressed.

The gun can has no muzzle flip! If you experience flip, you are doing something very wrong. Double taps were very accurate. In fact, I could keep the front sight on the target on each consecutive round regardless of how fast I fired.

Head shots at 75ft were effortless. In fact, I feel I confident that at that distance I could hit an apple off a head and maybe only miss a few times 🙂

All my shooting was open sights.

The trigger is great. It’s not TSO Great however. It’s hard to say if the trigger was “better” than my Q5. I needed a better side by side. The take-up was typical PPQ, but the break seemed clean. Not breaking glass clean, but clean.

I had some difficulty reaching the trigger properly for the grip I wanted to use. In a perfect world, I would need the trigger pulled back a bit or a slightly smaller grip. Wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

Comparing Q5 to the SF is a lot more night and day than I would have imagined. The guns feel and shoot a lot more differently than I would have expected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys....

I had some difficulty reaching the trigger properly for the grip I wanted to use. In a perfect world, I would need the trigger pulled back a bit or a slightly smaller grip. Wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

Comparing Q5 to the SF is a lot more night and day than I would have imagined. The guns feel and shoot a lot more differently than I would have expected.
Can you comment a bit more on the differences in the grips and ergos in general? I'm considering either a Q5 or Q5 SF as my next purchase. I love the grip/ergos of my PPQ 9mm 5in and I shoot it very well but I'd like the choice of installing a RDS and I also enjoy all metal handguns. I'm wondering if I should stick with the Q5 for its reasonable price & known grip and ergos or go for the more expensive Q5 SF for its steel goodness, likely better balance and ease of shooting.

Thanks & cheers!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Shot 50 through my brand new SF over the weekend too.
Besides my eyes being fuzzy on the all black rear sights I love the gun.
Going to fish around for ideas on the rear sight. Love the front one though.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys....

Can you comment a bit more on the differences in the grips and ergos in general? I'm considering either a Q5 or Q5 SF as my next purchase. I love the grip/ergos of my PPQ 9mm 5in and I shoot it very well but I'd like the choice of installing a RDS and I also enjoy all metal handguns. I'm wondering if I should stick with the Q5 for its reasonable price & known grip and ergos or go for the more expensive Q5 SF for its steel goodness, likely better balance and ease of shooting.

Thanks & cheers!
Sure thing. The difference in weight is night and day. The Q5 feels light. Easy to manage. Wearable. The SF is hefty....beefy. The Q5 will shoot just like your 5” other than the RDS. If you are keeping your current model then get the SF.

If you do a lot a one-handed shooting you will likely prefer the lighter guns. If you Jane small hands you will likely prefer the plastic guns as they have replaceable back straps.

And let me be clear on this issue....the accuracy of the two guns is about the same for 95% of all shooters. The SF will require less training to make quicker and tighter follow up shots. I have heard comments from people who have both guns and have gotten the same scores in matches with both.

If you are the type of guy who owns a new corvette and never goes above the speed limit, then both guns are fun to show your friends. The SF will be cooler though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you - that's helpful. My current thinking is to buy a polymer Q5 and stick with my CZ SP-01 when I want to enjoy heavier, all metal goodness. Of course, I'll likely change my mind a dozen times before buying either the Q5 or Q5 SF.

Sure thing. The difference in weight is night and day. The Q5 feels light. Easy to manage. Wearable. The SF is hefty....beefy. The Q5 will shoot just like your 5” other than the RDS. If you are keeping your current model then get the SF.

If you do a lot a one-handed shooting you will likely prefer the lighter guns. If you Jane small hands you will likely prefer the plastic guns as they have replaceable back straps.

And let me be clear on this issue....the accuracy of the two guns is about the same for 95% of all shooters. The SF will require less training to make quicker and tighter follow up shots. I have heard comments from people who have both guns and have gotten the same scores in matches with both.

If you are the type of guy who owns a new corvette and never goes above the speed limit, then both guns are fun to show your friends. The SF will be cooler though.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you - that's helpful. My current thinking is to buy a polymer Q5 and stick with my CZ SP-01 when I want to enjoy heavier, all metal goodness. Of course, I'll likely change my mind a dozen times before buying either the Q5 or Q5 SF.

That’s a good plan. I have fired Shadow 2, Q5, Q5 SF and a TSO. They all have their place.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can you comment a bit more on the differences in the grips and ergos in general? I'm considering either a Q5 or Q5 SF as my next purchase. I love the grip/ergos of my PPQ 9mm 5in and I shoot it very well but I'd like the choice of installing a RDS and I also enjoy all metal handwatguns. I'm wondering if I should stick with the Q5 for its reasonable price & known grip and ergos or go for the more expensive Q5 SF for its steel goodness, likely better balance and ease of shooting.

Thanks & cheers!
Walther rep told me that the smaller and larger grips should be out in june for purchase and the new triggers out around September. My wife can shoot one handed weak or strong better because the extra weight keeps the gun very easy to control. She only gets an 1in of rise when doing double taps with a good 2 handed grip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have shot both the Q5 SF and polymer PPQ 5" in range sessions and in USPSA competition and did not find the SF to be enough of an upgrade to justify the extremely high cost. I would not buy the SF until it comes down to around $1,100. Which may be never. You can get a Q5 for $650 online. Don't get me wrong the SF is a better gun, but only by a very slight margin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Walther rep told me that the smaller and larger grips should be out in june for purchase and the new triggers out around September. My wife can shoot one handed weak or strong better because the extra weight keeps the gun very easy to control. She only gets an 1in of rise when doing double taps with a good 2 handed grip.
Interesting. Thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have shot both the Q5 SF and polymer PPQ 5" in range sessions and in USPSA competition and did not find the SF to be enough of an upgrade to justify the extremely high cost. I would not buy the SF until it comes down to around $1,100. Which may be never. You can get a Q5 for $650 online. Don't get me wrong the SF is a better gun, but only by a very slight margin.
Thank you. Exactly what I was wondering. I do think I'll likely go for the polymer version. I'd like to do some competitive shooting and it seems like an affordable way to get into optics friendly local club matches. I live in an area without any USPSA or IDPA matches so it's pretty much shoot what you bring kind of stuff. And as I mentioned above, if I feel like going all metal I can shoot the SP-01 or even the P-01.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts