Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think there is anything wrong at Walther and with their finances, my opinion.
I also think this is a marketing scheme to put PPQ's in shooters hands that for years have wanted one but just never bought one. I hear people saying all the time: "I heard that PPQ's have good triggers" or "I like the looks of the Walther PPQ but I've never handled one". Another one: "I've heard that Walther PPQ's are real reliable and feel great in your hand".

Not only do I hear this being said but on other gun forums it is talked about a lot. I think Walther wants to put a PPQ in the hands of these people and let them judge for themselves. Also I don't think many will be sent back.

Now my opinion of a PPQ and I have 3. I've NEVER, that's never, felt a better production trigger out of the box and believe me I've had many, many brands and guns to compare with. Also, and people have their own opinion and feel, but there are only a very few pistols that feel as good to me in my hand as a PPQ, very few. Again to me, the only polymer striker fired pistol with a good trigger and a good feel that's a close 2nd to the PPQ is the HK VP9 SK. That's my opinion of the PPQ. It's the best polymer striker fired production pistol that can be bought.

Jim D
SE Texas---;)

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
My first Walther was a PPQ, and I loved the gun. However, I tended to ride the reset and ended up with unintentional double taps, a problem that I have heard others describe. While I understand that is my fault and not that of the gun, I found it unnerving to the point that I sold mine in favor of a P99, and later the Compact. I have not looked back. My$0.02

Reactions: BCD45

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Healthy companies with no cash flow issues and not over stocked in inventory generally don’t do things like this. That’s not to say that they are “tanking” but obviously, they need to do something drastic.

The industry is not doing well folks. Across the board sales were slow last year and expected to drop again by 10 to 20% this year.

For the most part, the industry is being propped up by the same people anyway.

Consider this....

70% of firearms are owned by 3% of the population. There is a real need to tap into owners who had never purchased a gun before.

Walk in to a gun shop but do so from the prospective of someone who has never fired a gun before. It’s scary.

I think a promo like this might help with new buyers.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess I missed this email (or deleted it in spam). Where can one find this promo? Is it in their Website?

Don't know about email, but GUNPRO.com has good prices. I recently bought a 45 and 9mm.

PS: What BCD45 said about trigger being outstanding is true. Best I've ever tried in a striker fired gun.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I strongly believe in what WaterDR has to say, guns sales are slow and companies just keep adding new items to choose from.

My thinking if I was a first time buyer and had seen Walther's promo advertisement is "Wow, they must be great guns to make that offer and they must really believe in their product". Now that's how I would think, others may think differently.

I certainly hope they do well. I'd hate to see Walther sold to someone like Remington or others.

Jim D

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Healthy companies with no cash flow issues and not over stocked in inventory generally don’t do things like this. That’s not to say that they are “tanking” but obviously, they need to do something drastic.
I don't know any more than anyone else here in regards to how Walther is doing, but does a company that is having cash flow issues make this many new products in the time that they did, to include a steel framed pistol, at a time when most companies switching to or heavily invested in polymer pistols are not? That seems like it would either require new machinery, or the use of the machinery that was already there to produce this new model instead of models that were already selling.

The industry is not doing well folks. Across the board sales were slow last year and expected to drop again by 10 to 20% this year.
Are you speaking only of Walther Arms in the US, or Walther as a whole? This is a German/European company that all but ignored the US market for over a decade while they had another rival manufacturer here handle importation, distribution, service, and marketing. The P99 model is always sold out to the point where you have to wonder why they don't bring more over if they sell every single P99 that they make. The PPQ was seemingly a huge success, and finally got Walther to set up a base here.

I'd say the US market was never their main market. They just happen to be paying more attention to it now. I don't personally feel they are hurting to the point where they have to promote offers like this. But like I said before, I don't know any more than anyone else here about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's a pretty cool promo. I for one, love to introduce practical marksmanship and self defense shooting to new people or those who have never been exposed to it, but could ideally really use the training, mindset and skill set.

Just wish I could afford more ammo in order to sponsor more shoots with people who could benefit from learning how to handle and shoot firearms.
This promo is just the kind of thing to help achieve that, though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got 4 PPQ's, 2 I shoot and 2 NIB a 45 & factory cerakoted tungsten 9mm. I'm going to keep the shooters and sell the 2 NIB but this promo may hurt me.

Jim D

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've got 4 PPQ's, 2 I shoot and 2 NIB a 45 & factory cerakoted tungsten 9mm. I'm going to keep the shooters and sell the 2 NIB but this promo may hurt me.

Jim D
You just need to vote democrat and you will make money on your guns. It’s sad and stupid, but it’s frankly the best thing that could happen to the industry in the short term and is really the only way you will actually make any money.

Not that I am hoping for that. But it’s true.

Then again, watch your 401k plummet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WaterDR,

Thanks but no thanks. I'm not that desperate for money. I know your correct but I like it the way it is now.

Jim D

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
WaterDR,

Thanks but no thanks. I'm not that desperate for money. I know your correct but I like it the way it is now.

Jim D
Well...we need to chose our battles and I get it!

Anyway, the truth of the matter is that when a Dem gets back in the WH and they take the Senate, gun sales will sky rocket and my 401 will take a dump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts