Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 1974 PPK/S marked "made in W. Germany." It came with 2 mags. The first one with the finger rest on the bottom makes sense; blued with no markings so it's probably original to the gun. The second one is confusing me. Can anyone tell me what era it came from and who made it and where (e.g., German, French, Interarms U.S.)? Thanks in advance!

Flat base plate
Blue (very smooth, nearly a polished finish)

One side:
Six holes with numbers 2 - 7 beside 6 of the holes
Walther banner on bottom near base plate with "Cal. 9mm kurz" printed below the banner

Other side:
One hole
Ribbed
Walther banner on bottom near base plate with "Cal. 380 ACP" printed below the banner

From what I can find, during the 1974 time frame when this gun was made, the baseplate mags did not have any markings on them. While I did read that "some" had the Walther banner on one side of them with no numbers next to the peep holes, there's no mention anywhere of original Walther blued mags having the banner on both sides AND the numbers 2 - 7. I've seen some aftermarket MecGar logo flat baseplate mags that are blued with numbers, but not a blued Walther branded mag that has a flat baseplate with numbers. That's my puzzlement.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Your flat base mag was made for Walther arms by Mec Gar. Mec Gar is Walther's OEM.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
AfaIk Interarms didn't made any mags, older mags were made by Walther/Ulm, later mags were made by Mec-Gar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this mag is a later Mec-Gar mag? It's not a Walther/Ulm mag? Also, I read somewhere on the internet but I came seem to find it now, that the smoother more polished mags were made by Manurhin, and the original German mags were more of a rougher finish. Ever hear of that? Thx....

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Manurhin never made any mags. These mags were made by Walther/Ulm but marked Manurhin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found it! Look at post #7. He talks about Interarms U.S. and Italian made mags. He also talks about the rougher finish on original German mags vs. U.S./Italian mags. I assume the Italian mags are the Mec-Gar mags.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
MGMike and I 'argued' several times about this. He 'remembers' Manurhin made because the Walther/Ulm made guns were preproduced by Manurhin. In fact the mags (at least 7,65mm and 9mm kurz) were made by Walther. AfaIk Ranger made PPK/S were equipped w. Mec-Gar mags. And yes, Mec-Gar is located in Italy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you two are the experts. That's why I came to the forum to ask. I just have never seen a blued ppk/s mag with the Walther banner on BOTH SIDES AND WITH NUMBERED HOLES.

Blued with Walther banner on both sides, NO numbers yes. Blued with Mec-Gar logo AND numbers yes. Blued with Walther banner on both sides AND numbers, no.

I'll go with what you said. It's a Mec-Gar made mag that came with my 1974 Walther/Uhm production ppk/s. Odd that it has those markings considering from what I've read most 1974 Walther/Uhm ppk/s guns came with unmarked mags. I guess there's always an exception with Walther products.

Thank you sir!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
You are welcome!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
It's a Mec-Gar made mag that came with my 1974 Walther/Uhm production ppk/s. Odd that it has those markings considering from what I've read most 1974 Walther/Uhm ppk/s guns came with unmarked mags. I guess there's always an exception with Walther products.
Probably it is not an exception, but simply a magazine that isn't original to the 1974 PPK/S. If you look for blued magazine on the internet, you suddenly find those later PPK and PPK/S magazines that have the Walther banner on both sides, show the calibre designation in German and English, and have numbered holes (2-6 respectively 2-7). I suppose these magazine belong to American made models only and probably were sold separately as accessories too.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine looks like the one on the right (if it has the banner on the other side). Where did you find that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it, thanks!
Thoughts on this one? Is it an original German made mag? Pretty rough finish, so I don't think it's an Italian made Mec-Gar. It doesn't have any markings so maybe an aftermarket knockoff?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Heavily used and has never seen any oil. But seems to be original.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Las pistolas Walther / Uhm ppk / s de 1974 venían con revistas sin marcar. Supongo que siempre hay una excepción con los productos Walther.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've read most 1974 Walther/Uhm ppk/s guns came with unmarked mags.
I've read most 1974 Walther/Uhm ppk/s guns came with unmarked mags.
Dear Mr. "Ivtwentytwo", I can confirm that you are correct in mentioning that the original German ULM-made Walther magazines that came from the factory accompanying the Walther ulm pistols of the early 70s, came without any marks. They had neither the Walther banner, nor any number.
They had polished somewhat opaque blue spartan. Without affecting its excellent quality of finish on its lips, thickness a few tenths higher than other versions, which is very good and its performance was optimal. But they did not have any marks.

But these original Walther magazines without brands and with different brands, have varied from moments and times.

The one that Melgar finds manufactured for Walther is a very widespread ascension, which is not the reason why it is true.

It is said at the time of the Smith & Weson / Walther production, they were manufactured by Melgar.

It is true that Melgar has been commissioned by prestigious arms brands of the most prestigious in the world to manufacture them, as well as their outstanding quality.

But I remember reading an article in which an expert and enthusiast, expressed to have made the consultation directly to the Walther factory because they did not exist at that time. Walther's response to the expert, he said, was that Walther magazines were made by the Walther factory, not Melgar.

Luck !

·
Registered
61 Posts
[QUOTE = "Martin, publicación: 1246466, miembro: 15701"]
¡Por favor, léete y déjanos en paz!
[/CITAR]
Please read youself an leave us alone!
Martin, I have always addressed each and every one of my interventions with total respect.

Why so aggressive?

As you have the right to read and comment, I comply with the rules of this prestigious forum.

If you are bothered by my partitions, you may not read me if you like. But he has no right, nor do I allow him to sensure me, much less give me an 'order.

By what authority does he do it? Are you the moderator of this prestigious Forum?

I could ignore his aggressive order, but I believe in respectful dialogue and that is why I am writing to Martin.

I have the same right as you to be polite and without offense, which you have not done here.

I am a democrat, I was born in a democratic and free country and I am used to dealing with people who think differently, I find it fantastic that others think differently. But always with respect.

Cordial greeting,

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
What you ever want, Alexia. But I do not respect any verbal diarrhea.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts